Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,485 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience to contradict the title of this thread? I love visiting Montpelier and it seems so great, but I know life anywhere gets real, so please, hit me with some reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,657,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyloVT View Post
Does anyone have any experience to contradict the title of this thread? I love visiting Montpelier and it seems so great, but I know life anywhere gets real, so please, hit me with some reality!
It is a very small town with a limited number of jobs outside of healthcare, governments, schools, etc. Both Montpelier and Barre have some decent, rundown, and nice areas. Great spot for outdoor recreation with easy access to mountains and trails with Burlington down the road. Oh, having a job lined up is very important as COL and housing costs are high.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Cold, dark in winter because of the valley, no parking. The lack of buildable land near the Winooski makes it a very claustrophobic town. (Sorry, even though it is called a city, a three block downtown does not constitute a city.)

Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM

129 posts, read 234,844 times
I loved living in Montpelier.

Traffic can seem like a bit of a free-for-all, but it's all relative.

Yeah, winter is cold, dark, and snowy; spring is dirty. It's like that everywhere up here though.

Housing is particularly expensive in Montpelier with property taxes higher than most other towns in VT. And it can be very hard to find a suitable place for rent at a fair price.

So why did I love living there? I liked having everything I needed within walking distance but still having that small town atmosphere. Decent restaurants, bars, and shops. You start to see a lot of the same faces around town and always run into someone you know when you go out. Cool architecture and unique culture. Surrounded by nature and plenty of outdoor activities to do.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 19,485 times
I never even thought about how dark it must get in the winter being in the shade of the hills.
I am in central NY state, so I know about snow and cold. I was there in the fall and the kids playing board games in the bookstore as well as the safe feeling being in a state capital city really impressed me. The architecture is awesome too. Sitting for lunch at the New England Culinary Institute out on the patio really hooked me on the place. That said, I am trying to picture how it would feel to reside there and how it would lose its novelty. I suppose anyplace can get real when you live there.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 AM

385 posts, read 441,632 times
Yeah, that rush hour traffic through downtown is the pure essence of evil. I'd sell my first born to avoid it. :-)

Beyond that, nope. It is a pretty neat place.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,813 times
We moved to Montpelier in 1994. Since then, especially in the last 5 years, many businesses have closed. Montpelier has lost 2 drugstores, a hardware store, a grocery store, a bookstore, a news and magazine store, 3-4 clothing stores, a leather goods store, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. Just last week it was announced that a long-time sports store and its sister store (an upscale clothing/shoe store) would be closing soon. When we retired here we thought Montpelier had everything we needed, but that's no longer true (at least from the shopping perspective).

Old 12-03-2017, 09:22 PM

542 posts, read 704,210 times
Stargazy you don't need a town anymore, that is what amazon is for. Start thinking what you will be doing with all the empty storefronts.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
OP, you're right. I moved here in 1983 and I still love the place.

Things have changed since I moved here. You can now hear live music every night of the week, there are wider options for dining and clothing, multiple bookstores, live professional theater, and a real sense of community. It's a great place to raise and educate your kids, and I can tell you that my 30-year-old son can't wait to move back.

I just got back from a kickoff party for our next (I hope) mayor, who is just 36, and the age range was probably twenty to eighty.

The cautions about employment and the cost of living are real. It's not Disneyland, it's real life. Still, if you're looking and you can find employment I maintain that it's the best place to live in all of Vermont.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 PM

809 posts, read 999,248 times
Nevah be as good as Springfield, if you ask me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont