Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times

Advertisements

I fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to the debate of eating local/fresh is affordable vs packaged/frozen foods.

I try to buy as local as possible, and organically as much as possible as well. We belong to a CSA for 7 months out of the year, getting locally grown/organic fruits and vegetables...this is substantially cheaper than if we were to try and buy similar produce from the supermarkets...

I order my beef/pork/chicken direct from farms (in VT & NY), so I know how it's raised and what it eats and I support the local farmer. I will admit, the cost of this is definitely more than what it costs for similar meat in the supermarket. However, the quality of the meat is so much better, and it doesn't contain any hormones, chemicals, etc. And you can't get e-coli from grass fed beef. I try to only buy sustainable seafood - this is also pretty costly. But at the same time, we've trimmed our consumption of meat...we eat less of it, but what we do eat is much better for us, both taste wise and nutritionally, than the store bought stuff.

In the end, I've made the conscious decision to spend my money on the important things - good food. I don't buy clothes that often, and we also are not big spenders on expendables. But I'm a graphic designer, and my fiancé is a photographer - we do spend a large amount of money on computer, cameras, and gadgets...not stuff we don't need, but stuff that makes us better at what we do and that's also required for us to keep up with the industry.

I am a huge advocate of recycling, and it pisses me off when I see the amount of packaging that's wasted on so many items sold today - whether it's a pack of gum or soap or whatever...it's insane.

But then I fall into the trap of the plastic supermarket bag - I get these when I go food shopping, and then use them for my garbage in the kitchen and to clean up after the dog. I have been wanting to switch over to re-usable bags for food shopping, but then I would have to buy garbage bags. So what's the winner there? I guess buying 'green' garbage bags is an option...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 AM

155 posts, read 614,223 times
I did not even think about things like that as "stuff" but we have never had cable since before we had our oldest. I did not want our kids watching tv all day so we got ride of our cable.

As for whole foods being more $$$. It can be but not usually. We are a vegan family of 4 who try hard to be as organic as we can to avoid toxins. We eat a lot of fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, I think the most processed thing we eat are tofu and drinking soy milk. There are many things you can do to make it cheaper then you would think and are not rich by any means at all.

1) Grow your own fruits and veggies and process them yourself by canning or freezing if you have a large freezer. If you have no land (which was my case for years grow on a friends land or get a community garden plot which is usually cheap) If you do not have the time to garden your self buy from the farmers market and local farms in season and then do the same thing can and freeze them to last you thru the year. Also try to eat more seasonly so in winter you are eating my root veggies and spinach which will be still around and fairly cheap in snow season on farms with cold box gardens.

2) By all you grains and beans from bulk bins at the health food store or a local farm if you have access to one. Get a good book on cooking beans and grains it will help a lot since different types need different types of soaking and cooking times vary.

3) Making your own baked goods also helps a lot if you are looking for whole grain organic. I can make my own pancakes for pennies while there are boxes of only 6 or 8 frozen organic waffles for around $4.

If I stopped cooking from whole foods and used packaged stuff we could never stay organic vegans. We live off on income from my husbands average paying job in a very expensive area. (we have not moved to Vermont yet but will be soon)

Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
But then I fall into the trap of the plastic supermarket bag - I get these when I go food shopping, and then use them for my garbage in the kitchen and to clean up after the dog. I have been wanting to switch over to re-usable bags for food shopping, but then I would have to buy garbage bags. So what's the winner there? I guess buying 'green' garbage bags is an option...

This is a dilemma for me as well. I scoop 6 litterboxes twice a day. One thought is a "diaper genie" (maybe available on Freecycle or ebay? :-)) that I could scoop everything into and then combine in one bag, instead of grabbing a bag every time I scoop.

I shop at the co-op so at least the bags I take from there came from other stores and then were brought into the co-op for re-use. But still! Too much plastic.

Any other ideas for cleaning up pet waste?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
We haven't paid for TV in many years either and we've never missed it! We have DVD player. When I finished grad school, we subscribed to Netflix, which we love. We also have a computer and the internet, of course, or I wouldn't be here. :-)

I have mixed feelings about being hooked online. On one hand, it helped me discover the causes that mean everything to me and learn how to get involved. I'm even a virtual regional team leader on an international web community (Best Friends), helping others help animals and people in their communities. But I also recall that I used to read a whole lot more books before I got the internet.
I like the internet because I am able to do a ton of research quite quickly without having to go to the library, etc. I know I will be able to find what I want, and I can do it whenever I want. I love being able to learn so much, so easily.

I really have no problem with television or anything, I mainly watched programs that taught me something, other than the occasional sitcom. My problem is that it has gotten to be so expensive, and it is in no way worth the cost to me. Netflix is great!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
I did not even think about things like that as "stuff" but we have never had cable since before we had our oldest. I did not want our kids watching tv all day so we got ride of our cable.

As for whole foods being more $$$. It can be but not usually. We are a vegan family of 4 who try hard to be as organic as we can to avoid toxins. We eat a lot of fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, I think the most processed thing we eat are tofu and drinking soy milk. There are many things you can do to make it cheaper then you would think and are not rich by any means at all.

1) Grow your own fruits and veggies and process them yourself by canning or freezing if you have a large freezer. If you have no land (which was my case for years grow on a friends land or get a community garden plot which is usually cheap) If you do not have the time to garden your self buy from the farmers market and local farms in season and then do the same thing can and freeze them to last you thru the year. Also try to eat more seasonly so in winter you are eating my root veggies and spinach which will be still around and fairly cheap in snow season on farms with cold box gardens.

2) By all you grains and beans from bulk bins at the health food store or a local farm if you have access to one. Get a good book on cooking beans and grains it will help a lot since different types need different types of soaking and cooking times vary.

3) Making your own baked goods also helps a lot if you are looking for whole grain organic. I can make my own pancakes for pennies while there are boxes of only 6 or 8 frozen organic waffles for around $4.

If I stopped cooking from whole foods and used packaged stuff we could never stay organic vegans. We live off on income from my husbands average paying job in a very expensive area. (we have not moved to Vermont yet but will be soon)
Having your own garden is a great idea! I can't wait to be able to do that again. Also, try finding other gardeners and see if any want to trade.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
I don't own any land so growing my own veggies is out for now.
Example of how processed food is cheaper (not better but cheaper) than fresh. You can buy a box of snack cake with apples (you know, Little Debbie's) for less than $1.50. Try buying a few apples for $1.50.

Produce is skyrocketing. I also think buying frozen foods (packaged dinners for example) are a waste of money. Frozen corn, peas and so on are a good option.

We also drink soy milk. My son is a near vegetarian, my husband a vegetarian. I am an omnivore, but usually have meat only a few nights a week.

If you have a big family, buying in bulk is a good idea.

I'm not saying 'eating well' cheaply can't be done, but not everyone has money or land or connections to follow the rules you guys stated.

I have another way to save and prevent waste--we used this all the time in NY--and now in VT---go to the library and take out cds and books. Then return them (instead of buying). Unfortunately the library here is inferior to any I have been to in NY but still it's better than nothing.

I wish they'd put more money into developing mass transit in my part of VT. Right over the river in Lebanon there are free buses that many students and locals use. But not in our town, so many people have to have 2 cars. If only they had someone spearheading this in Vermont it would be a wonderful way to save fuel and prevent pollution.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I wish they'd put more money into developing mass transit in my part of VT. Right over the river in Lebanon there are free buses that many students and locals use. But not in our town, so many people have to have 2 cars. If only they had someone spearheading this in Vermont it would be a wonderful way to save fuel and prevent pollution.

I agree! I would love to see trains and buses from everywhere to everywhere else in New England.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I agree! I would love to see trains and buses from everywhere to everywhere else in New England.
Yes, trains especially!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
A commuter rail was tried here in the Burlington area and it failed miserably. I would not hold your breath on rail service here in Vermont.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Consumption & US culture -- on Speaking of Faith

One of my favorite free podcasts addressed the issue we've been discussing in a way that intrigued me and continues to stimulate thought:

Money and Moral Balance [Speaking of Faith® from American Public Media]

At no charge, you can listen to the show, listen to the interview full-length and unedited, or even watch a video of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont