Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,059 times

Advertisements

Given that that is Columbus Day Weekend I'd make a reservation STAT. Busiest weekend of the year for tourism in Vermont.
At those dates as noted above you'll want to be in the southern 1/2 of the state and at lower elevations.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM

23 posts, read 27,732 times
Thanks to all!

Liking the idea of being near Killington...looks like the closest (reasonable) accomodations would be in Rutland. Anyone know anything about that area? Perhaps more importantly, anyone know if the drive on Route 4 to/from Killington from Rutland would be a scenic drive?

Point well taken on staying in southern VT.

From Killington, heading south (back in the general direction of Boston on the next day 10/10), should we just head straight down Route 100 all the way down to the Mass border? Or possibly drive towards Pittsfield, MA into the Berkshires? I know that that's getting into Mass, however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 AM

83,561 posts, read 75,474,029 times
As vter said, beginning of October you'll want to be in southern VT.

But of course each year can vary even by 1 week. Last couple years it's been earlier then normal here. 2014 was 1 week later than 2013 but still earlier than normal.

The weather plays a role as well. Dry, Wet, Hot. Warm, Cool, Cool nights, ect.

Then lets say this year October 3rd they are peaking in southern Vermont and a big storm comes in October 7th. The wind will knock the leaves off and it won't be the same effect for the time you arrive because it will have thinned out because of the wind.

https://twitter.com/srcclsu/status/526758920577384449/photo/1

Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
When driving south on rt100 taking a side trip over that ridge of mountains on your right can be quite the scenic experience, my usual is in Waitsfield or Warren take rt17 over the mountain to rt 7,head south then take either rt125 or rt73 back over the ridge to rt100.
These new Google maps suck but heres the general idea.=.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/44.18...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,973,936 times
Since you'll be in Stowe, make sure you head over smugglers notch. Fun drive!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM

168 posts, read 286,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFriar View Post
Thanks to all!

Liking the idea of being near Killington...looks like the closest (reasonable) accomodations would be in Rutland. Anyone know anything about that area? Perhaps more importantly, anyone know if the drive on Route 4 to/from Killington from Rutland would be a scenic drive?

Point well taken on staying in southern VT.

From Killington, heading south (back in the general direction of Boston on the next day 10/10), should we just head straight down Route 100 all the way down to the Mass border? Or possibly drive towards Pittsfield, MA into the Berkshires? I know that that's getting into Mass, however...
Hate to be the nay-sayer, but I'd skip Burlington and the isles - the latter especially are not what I think of when I think "Vermont fall foliage".

I'd stay in or around Montpelier - as someone said, it's very cute & walkable - and then head south from Montpelier on 100 (but detour to stop at Red Hen Bakery!) to Stockbridge - I love the Waitsfield and Warren area, and in particular be sure to veer off 100 into Warren proper - and then cut over to 12 to Woodstock. Not much more quaint and postcard-y than Woodstock.

Then you can visit Simon Pearce in Quechee (or their bigger facility in Windsor) - then go down 91 and cut over to Walpole NH (also very cute, and with a great patisserie and an adjacent chocolatier [last time I was there, at least - 5 years ago!], and drive Rte 12 in NH through Keene, then 124 past Monadnock and Jaffrey - then you can keep cutting SE towards Boston...

OR, from Woodstock head west to 7, then south through Vermont to the Mass. border - I do like your idea of going through Williamstown and Pittsfield, very scenic (and a sort of "fail safe" in case the colors are advancing faster than usual).

Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Since you'll be in Stowe, make sure you head over smugglers notch. Fun drive!
Definitely, if you do go up to Stowe, you have to go over Smuggler's Notch - unforgettable experience.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:01 PM

206 posts, read 484,032 times
We are coming up the prior weekend from Albany. What route do you recommend? We are also hitting Lake Placid after Burl and are curious about hiking, views, and good foodie places with vegan options. Thanks

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 AM

23 posts, read 27,732 times
Thanks all (again)!

Due to the overwhelming advice from all, we'll now steer clear of the Burlington/Stowe section of Vermont.

We'll be staying in Rutland (anyone know anything about the town itself? Basis of appeal appears to be that it's reasonably centrally located close to Killington and will be a good starting point as we head south on Route 100 into Mass).

Also, in between Rutland and Killington appears to be a spectacular breakfast place Sugar and Spice (we're big breakfast eaters, huge fans of Polly's Pancake Parlor, but dare I say this place looks like it might be even better).

From there, we will take the gracious advice of so many here regarding where to see/stop along Route 100 and into Pittsfield/Williamstown.

Any more suggestions are plenty welcome, of course!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
We are coming up the prior weekend from Albany. What route do you recommend? We are also hitting Lake Placid after Burl and are curious about hiking, views, and good foodie places with vegan options. Thanks
Take 20 east to Pittsfield, Mass., north on 7 to Williamstown; cut over to 100 and go north all the way past Warren (potential detour mid-way to Woodstock); then west on 17 through Fayston & Bristol - can take 17 all the way to Crown Point bridge, or detour south to see Middlebury and then west on 125 to the Crown Point Bridge - then you're in NY and on your own, LOL.

I think the key to any fall foliage drive is playing it by ear. Ask locals about favorite roads; watch for signs advertising cider fests or other events, etc. Get out and walk a trail, even if only for 15 minutes so you can smell the leaves and wood smoke and such. If you just plop in a car and sit for 10 hours, it's not going to be the best experience, regardless of the foliage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont