Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 AM

55 posts, read 120,996 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow skiers,

After a break of about 20 years, I finally got on skis again last year and remembered how much fun it is. This year we want a week in Vermont in January.

I would love to know the recommendations of a ski resort and accomodations. We are beginners/intermediates and last year we went to Gore. It was nice, but we think we want better trails for our levels. We are older, so our main goal is not to break anything, just have enjoyable trails for working on our ski abilities (via a few lessons). We don't mind driving further to avoid crowds.

Can anyone help with the best ski areas, less crowds, good variety of beginner and intermediate trails? And maybe accomodation recommendations? If we find something good, I will probably ask a lot of friends to come. We'll be driving up from NJ.

Thanks so much as I already know how helpful you guys are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Generally the resorts in Southern Vermont are less challenging than those in northern VT.
For beginner/intermediate terrain Okemo and Stratton (I jokingly call it Flatton) are fantastic. Wide, open, "boulevard" type trails. Gentle to moderate pitch. The downside is that if you go on a weekend/holiday week it will be crowded. Bromley, also in southern VT is smaller and not as well known so you'll see less crowds.
If you want to go to northern VT, Stowe is great. Some good beginner/intermediate trails on Spruce Peak and also off the gondola. Stowe is $$$$$ and gets crowded on weekends/holidays. I also really like Sugarbush. Lesser known mountains in northern VT that have good beginner/intermediate terrain are Bolton Valley and Burke Mountain.
All that said....I think you guys would love Okemo. Unfortunately I can't help with accommodations but do know that there are plenty of options there.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Back years ago I had a job delivering Vt Ski magazine to all the ski areas in the state. Slope level is just one factor.

Mt Snow was ski bunny novice from Longg Island heaven. Fashion and lounge lizards.

Jay was cold, steep, busy and lots of Canadians. Dunno how it was as cold as it was most of the time.

The east facing slopes along the spine are protected from winds from the west, but get dark sooner.

Killington, Sugarbush seemed the havens for hard core skiers.

Friendliest, with a good mix of slopes and relatively short lift lines was Bolton. At the time it was barely in the big leagues and used by lots of locals.

ALL of the above info is badly dated, so just take it as background info. My brother skis Stowe mostly, but he has done so since the Charlie Lord days.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
I think you will find Okemo to provide a good balance of intermediate skiing, reasonable accommodations, crowds and costs. From NJ get yourself over to I-91 and it is an easy commute as well.

The descriptions outlined above are pretty accurate IMHO. Most of my experience is Stowe, where I owned a house for many years until the "massive development" took over in the past decade. Spruce might be a reasonable place for you, but bring money and be prepared to put up with an ever increasing crowd of "fashion" skiers. The Mansfield side is still sort of okay....but too many people just "have" to try the steeps....where they flounder and destroy the snow.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
A word of warning: If you're flying in from Florida to New Jersey and driving from there, do not plan to ski in Southern Vermont on weekends or holidays. Skiing in Vermont is mostly a weekend/holiday business. The quality of your experience will be much better midweek.

The rule of thumb is the farther north you go, the better the snow, the less people, and the lower the prices. You can find ample novice/intermediate terrain most places. It's a matter of how far you're willing to drive. Midweek, I think you'll find the southern Vermont ski areas are just fine. Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo. Magic Mountain probably not. Bromley faces south and is smaller. That can be a blessing on a cold but sunny day, but it can also cause melting and icy conditions.

You're the primary demographic of all 4 of those ski areas. Pick one. They're more similar than they are different.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Default Thanks to everyone!

Wow this is ALL great information!!! I have printed everyone's response and will take all the advice into consideration. I appreciate all the information very much. Its very hard to choose something without good advice.

Thanks again everyone! I'm looking forward to skiing in Vermont.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A word of warning: If you're flying in from Florida to New Jersey and driving from there, do not plan to ski in Southern Vermont on weekends or holidays. Skiing in Vermont is mostly a weekend/holiday business. The quality of your experience will be much better midweek.

The rule of thumb is the farther north you go, the better the snow, the less people, and the lower the prices. You can find ample novice/intermediate terrain most places. It's a matter of how far you're willing to drive. Midweek, I think you'll find the southern Vermont ski areas are just fine. Mount Snow, Stratton, Bromley, and Okemo. Magic Mountain probably not. Bromley faces south and is smaller. That can be a blessing on a cold but sunny day, but it can also cause melting and icy conditions.

You're the primary demographic of all 4 of those ski areas. Pick one. They're more similar than they are different.
Totally agree on mid week skiing. I live just down the road from Pico and Killington. Weekends is more dodging skier traffic than skiing, while mid-week is a joy. Ski mid-week and plan other stuff on the weekends.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Thank you, I will definitely take that advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: