Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't know whether my mind was in the gutter when I read that, or if it's the way you turn a phrase, but that line had me hysterical!
LOL!!! I'm glad. Call it a conscious & unconscious combo pun. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandcrickets View Post
We are thinking about moving to VT from Boston, and are hoping for some advice about various towns and regions. We love Brattleboro and were wondering if people might be able to recommend other smaller towns with a similar vibe? We are hoping to move to an area with a strong love of the arts and music (we are into folk music, and jazz, homemade music, experimental, etc.), and with a good sense of environmental responsibility and people-friendly politics, strong sense of community, etc.--Brattleboro is definitely an option but we would also like to explore other options as well.
Many thanks for your advice! Kind regards, JS
I have to agree with previous posters regarding Burlington. If you can swing it...GO, GO, GO!! It has a lot of winter and an extra season (mud season...you'll see), but who cares...go skiing...get a place with a fireplace...Burlington is a hip, hip town on a beautiful lake with art and music everywhere.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,759,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I regularly see sights that seem ugly to me, mostly forms of environmental degradation and any beings who are suffering. The idea of finding one of my fellow beings "ugly" because they don't fit someone else's idea of beauty is baffling to me. I might not decorate my home with images of most people in the nude, but I'd rather look at regular people nude than see nature denuded any day.
Alright Sherylcatmom!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,950 times
Hi, I would say Brattleboro, Burlington as starters to consider....there is always Norwich since it is so close to Hanover NH/Dartmouth.....Norwich is also pretty expensive but neighboring towns might be a consideration for you....

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Overall, the state is pretty enviro-conscious. I live outside the Norwich area and a lot of it is touristy..People like to run down White River Junction but there's a theatre and some interesting shops and so on.

Regarding ugly naked people...the other night I watched this movie from our library called "Welcome to Mooseport" which was set in a fictional MAINE town (starring "Rayond" from Everyone HATE Raymond (oops, I mean "LOVES"). Besides the fact he's supposed to be a 'native' of this town with his LONG ISLAND ACCENT (I'm allowed to be picky, I'm from LI)...there was this local guy running around naked...I remembered all the comments in the Vermont threads about 'people running around naked.' Hilarious (no, not the movie..it was boring..)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times
So, hey, J1n, are you going to follow us to Vermont? You could go work on a real farm with actual farm animals

Sean

Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
So, hey, J1n, are you going to follow us to Vermont? You could go work on a real farm with actual farm animals

Sean
...dangles carrot in front of donkey

don't put those kind of ideas in my head!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:03 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandcrickets View Post
We are thinking about moving to VT from Boston, and are hoping for some advice about various towns and regions. We love Brattleboro and were wondering if people might be able to recommend other smaller towns with a similar vibe? We are hoping to move to an area with a strong love of the arts and music (we are into folk music, and jazz, homemade music, experimental, etc.), and with a good sense of environmental responsibility and people-friendly politics, strong sense of community, etc.--Brattleboro is definitely an option but we would also like to explore other options as well.
Many thanks for your advice! Kind regards, JS

Since you mention Jazz, Folk Music, homemade and experimental music, I thought I should mention the amazingly broad music community here in VT. Just for starters, you may be interested in ...

Discover Jazz Festival, Burlington, VT the 25th annual edition of which will be May 30 - June 8.

The Champlain Valley Folk Festival Champlain Valley Folk Festival

The Vt Contemporary music ensemble Vermont Contemporary Music Ensemble home page

Flynn Center for the Performing Arts

Vermont Jazz Center - Jazz concerts, Summer workshops, Jazz Classes

It seems music and cultural offerings like this are widely distributed throughout the state. I've seen some amazing musical performances in small towns all over the state.

Best,

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont