Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 AM

73 posts, read 101,578 times

Advertisements

Love:

No Traffic, Culture, Weather, Common sense politics, Less rules, Freedom, Live and let live.

Not a panacea but I have lived in 4 other states (west and east) and by far if you want a less stress state to live in, Vermont is it. If you want Americana, live near Burlington (fake Vermont).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:33 PM

312 posts, read 354,845 times
Okay, I made the decision this morning. I told my husband that, if he can find a job in VT, we'll go. So...if anybody has a lead on any electrical engineering jobs...let me know.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Some reasons are historical. My family has been here since before it was a state. I can go around the state and see a few roads named after my family, my great-great grandfather's farmhouse still standing, and apple orchards planted by ancestors still bearing fruit on occasion. I found the cellar hole this summer of my great-great uncle's neighbor's house and barn where he was murdered by said neighbor over loose cows 3 years after the Civil War ended and 5 years after he survived being wounded at Gettysburg (can't make that one up, loose cows got him killed, but he got mixed up in a feud between two neighboring families). Hard not to feel some connection to a place with so much history there.

Other reasons are: low crime rate, lack of gun laws, lack of the materialistic money worship culture I see in much of this country now, relatively clean environment, lack of development, acceptance of living a bit differently than others if desired (seriously no one batted an eye when I camped out this summer off and on at my land while building a cabin, growing my own food, and not connecting to any sort of grid whereas in some other states it would have been illegal to do half of what I did and people will eye you funny for the other half), and maple. Did I mention maple?

Old 11-25-2016, 06:19 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Good luck to you Isabella, and welcome to Vermont!

Old 11-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Good luck to you Isabella, and welcome to Vermont!
Thank you! Glad to be here. Almost.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
(seriously no one batted an eye when I camped out this summer off and on at my land while building a cabin, growing my own food, and not connecting to any sort of grid whereas in some other states it would have been illegal to do half of what I did and people will eye you funny for the other half), and maple. Did I mention maple?
Love this!!

(Love maple, too. )

Old 11-26-2016, 11:26 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I know you already made your decision but I want to answer the question. When I was medically retired from the Air Force (sort of unexpectedly), someone asked me where I was going to live (I was stationed in Greece at the time). It was the first time in my adult life that I could move ANYWHERE in the world I wanted to. As a kid, I lived where my parents said and then where Uncle Sam said. Now it was MY choice. When I was asked that question, it was something I never even thought of. Where was I going to live? After about 30 seconds (if that long) of thinking about it I said Vermont. I was asked if I had a job there. I said no. I was asked if I knew people there. I said no. Then they asked me why I was going to move there. I gave them the strangest answer, "Because I WANT to!"

Out of all the places in the world, why was Vermont calling me? We used to come up here when I was a kid and just loved it. I love the mountains, the scenery, and I even love winter-believe it or not. And autumn can't be beat. I am originally from Upstate NY and I can really tell the difference between the two states. Like others said there is less traffic-in most parts of the state (besides Burlington and other cities). We do have crime but we have a low crime rate. We don't even lock our doors-except when we go out of town for a few days. People are friendly for the most part. You pass someone walking down the street and they will say hi. There is a very personal touch to things. We go places and people know us by name. Our elective officials know us. We see Sen. Bernie Sanders from time to time and he knows us BY NAME! No other state I have lived in (including NY) where elective officials would even give us the time of day-unless they are running. We actually have the best Postal service. If you mail something in the state going to somewhere in the state, it WILL get there the next day. And I can give you many examples where the Post Office has gone above and beyond the call of duty-when other places would have sent something back. There are so many other things why I love this state.

There is a saying: it is ok as long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses. In other words, there is a live and let live attitude. I have lived many places in my life but Vermont is HOME. We travel a lot but I always miss the Green Mountain State.

Cat

Old 11-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Thank you. What a beautiful testament to a beautiful state.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Thank you. What a beautiful testament to a beautiful state.
Vermont really does have something special going for it. It is not the cheapest place in the country to live nor is it the most convenient in some regards, but I am convinced it has the best quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont