Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 PM

20 posts, read 24,412 times

Advertisements

I went to K-12 school back in the early 2000's with this family's kids, who lived at 227 Essex Road in Williston, VT (just on the border of Essex Junction). This house was situated on this gigantic hill. Large trees and telephone pole lines draped their home, which was incredibly large, but un-kept in appearance. I know this because our school bus would literally drive up this steep hilly cemented roadway leading to mostly unpaved dirt road which circled within feet of their the house and their few barns and stables. It was always a peculiar sight for any kid to see.

A few years later, it was rumored the kids moved to Florida after their parents got new jobs, but then also rumored that one of the kids received a brain tumor, most likely from the power line facility right behind their home.

I remained curious over the years as I drove by their lot, noticing that their house sit on that hill, deteriorating, trees and shrubbery overgrown, and the home lifeless after their move, almost making those rumors about 'a brain tumor' reasonably true. Then a few years after their move, I notice "NO TRESPASSING" signs at the top of the hill where cars may pull a U-turn. A few people I had known through friends may have attempted a break in or were just going up to the lot to snoop around.

About 8 years after their move, I convinced my two friends to drive up and walk around the empty lot. Peering in the home, we saw brand new appliances, unused and just sitting behind locked doors. We snooped around the few horse barns and noticed boxes of paper shreds everywhere, boxes of hangers in one barn and tons of animal/horse ****. Random barns with stairs up to a balcony that made no sense, and then another barn facing their home with individual school desks lined up, yet no way to climb up to this 2nd level. Mind you, this lot is near large fields, with nothing near it other than a power line plant. We started hearing radio/airwave communication and noises are freaked out, and drove off.

Flash forward to now, the home has been demolished, destroyed or literally made into an empty lot, as google maps will show you.

227 Essex Rd, Wiliston VT.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...1!4d-73.113264

How can I find out the history of this house? Why was it taken down? Why has no one purchased it? Why was it empty for all of these years? Please, entertain my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,276,359 times
Call the Williston town offices. Probably ask to talk to the lister. They may be able to answer your questions.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 AM

65 posts, read 111,531 times
Looking at Williston's Grand, the lot got bought by Vermont Transco, who owns the adjacent power substation.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 PM

How do you know this? What is Williston's Grand?

Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 AM

The Grand List is a list of all properties in town showing owner and property values among other info.
http://www.town.williston.vt.us/vert...by_Address.pdf

Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 AM

65 posts, read 111,531 times
Sorry about that typo. Yeah, that's from the Grand List. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Williston keeps old ones online (they do keep errata for old ones, though)

Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info on that. Unfortunately that listing in particular is a Rutland, VT lot. Not a Williston, VT lot. But i'll try calling the town of Williston to ask. I wonder if curiosity will get me in trouble.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereofidelic89 View Post
Thanks for the info on that. Unfortunately that listing in particular is a Rutland, VT lot. Not a Williston, VT lot. But i'll try calling the town of Williston to ask. I wonder if curiosity will get me in trouble.
The link given is the Town of Williston Grand List. You are seeing Rutland listed because that is where the property tax bill is sent. The parcel is owned by Vermont Transco which is based out of Rutland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: