U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,625 times

Advertisements

I am building a new house and would like to know the most efficient way to heat my home...Radiant, wood burning stove, forced hot air. What gas type propane natural gas. Any information would help. Construction will begin in June.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,657,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola lee View Post
I am building a new house and would like to know the most efficient way to heat my home...Radiant, wood burning stove, forced hot air. What gas type propane natural gas. Any information would help. Construction will begin in June.

Thanks
Too many unknown variables to make a suggestion. Quite a bit depends on the architectural characteristics of the structure as well as physical location. Best to consult area HVAC outfit who should be able to explain the benefits and cost factors of systems.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,665,447 times
another suggestion is to contact a well-known heating/plumbing/oil/propane company...most are very knowledgeable and very helpful....I don't know if I am permitted to toss out a suggestion - yikes, I hope I don't get in trouble, but one of the well-known and respected companies is Cota and Cota.....you can always give them a call...you might need to hire them to do some of the work and then again for information gathering purposes I think you will find them helpful and informative.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 32,581,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
another suggestion is to contact a well-known heating/plumbing/oil/propane company...most are very knowledgeable and very helpful....I don't know if I am permitted to toss out a suggestion - yikes, I hope I don't get in trouble, but one of the well-known and respected companies is Cota and Cota.....you can always give them a call...you might need to hire them to do some of the work and then again for information gathering purposes I think you will find them helpful and informative.
I use them to service my forced hot air system. (I hate forced hot air, but that's another story.) When time comes to replace the old unit, I'll be using them for that.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM

130 posts, read 263,509 times
After living with oil, wood and forced hot air in VT for 44 years I can't tell you how much we enjoy radiant floor heat.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM

21,339 posts, read 63,831,473 times
I would seriously consider a dual system. For primary use, a ground source heat pump. For backup and occasional use, a wood fired system that doesn't require any electric power. All energy costs will continue to rise, so I'd put every spare nickel into added insulation and good windows, and make sure it was properly sited for solar gain in the winter.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I would seriously consider a dual system. For primary use, a ground source heat pump. For backup and occasional use, a wood fired system that doesn't require any electric power. All energy costs will continue to rise, so I'd put every spare nickel into added insulation and good windows, and make sure it was properly sited for solar gain in the winter.
Good advice.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,620,754 times
I'm with Targo...I LOVE radiant heat. We don't have it (boo) but my parents do in their newly built house. Nothing like having warm floors to walk on in winter.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 AM

18,051 posts, read 24,768,618 times
Wood stove can be the most affordable if you know where to get the wood. Of course, you may want another source to keep the pipes from freezing when you're away. Natural gas isn't available in much of the state as far as I know. Propane is expensive. Heating oil is expensive. Kerosene isn't cheap anymore either.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,657,053 times
We are going to build a house this year and are thinking radiant in the basement, baseboards upstairs and a wood or gas backup. I need to check out geothermal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>