Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times

Advertisements

I just spoke with one dealer, specifically Robinsons, about the minimum they'd be willing to deliver and today's price. The price he quoted me was $3.89 a gallon!!!! What happened? When did heating oil become 65 cents a gallon higher than gas. I bought in November for $2.94 a gallon. Is this the end of the season screwing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I just spoke with one dealer, specifically Robinsons, about the minimum they'd be willing to deliver and today's price. The price he quoted me was $3.89 a gallon!!!! What happened? When did heating oil become 65 cents a gallon higher than gas. I bought in November for $2.94 a gallon. Is this the end of the season screwing?
I also have been tracking the price and really am not looking forward to next years heating season. The price is driven up by market speculation and the reason it is more expensive than gasoline has to also do with refining yields per barrel of crude and the fact that only so much No 2 heating oil is produced and stored per season. The extended cold weather in regions of the country that consume oil is not helping either. Look at what diesel is running now and realize that ALL of our cunsumer goods commerce depends on it. If oil futures speculation combined with events continues to drive up crude I sadly am expecting to budget in the range of $4.25 to $4.50 per gallon for heating oil next year. With the already steep increases in energy to date I have cut back on many other things which of course hurts other local businesses. A vicious cycle we are in.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM

166 posts, read 441,505 times
Home heating oil and diesel fuel are essentially the same thing. Heating oil is dyed red and has no road tax on it. Both come from the same cut of a barrel of oil. Diesel fuel is currently averaging 4.30$ a gallon in Vermont and just broke a record high. Diesel is more expensive than gasoline for many reasons. A lot of has to do with speculation but you also have increased demand from China and India . Also driving the price is the fact that half of Europe's cars are diesel powered. Vermont's fuels also have to get transported by truck/train from points south and heating oil is actually cheaper south of here. Just wait untill spring/summer driving kicks off where historically gas also jumps in price. The Free Press article below shows that some observers are predicting $4 gas this summer in VT. Home heating oil is going to be through the roof next winter. I would agree with flu and guess heating oil is going to be $4.25-$4.50/gallon if not more next winter.

From yesterdays Freepress.

Vermont's gas, diesel prices set records

Burlington Free Press.com | Top Stories=

Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
And the sad part is the price of firewood will go right up with oil.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
I think the price of crude will be going to down in the next couple of months.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think the price of crude will be going to down in the next couple of months.
Happy April Fools Day Actually, there of course is the possibility of a price drop or stabilization. It sure would be a blessing for next winter if we could lock in a reasonable pre-buy amount for the next heating season.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM

72 posts, read 213,828 times
reading this makes me think that it would now be the right time for vermont to run natrual gas down major thurways and bring some relief in the option of natrual gas. where i live they had propane or oil and they both jacked prices to obseen numbers because you had no options. when gas was run( with state aid) a small fee was assested to the home owners to run the lines(hook up costs). after 3/4 of the township hooked up to gas, not only did gas prices go down but oil and propane had no choice but to compete. propane is almost gone in my area and oil is hurting also. my gas bills are about half what propane would have been.

as for the gas/oil prices. my opinion is that it is all pre-planned. they have an aggenda and will continue to take greedily till someone stops them and i for one don't think that is going to happen.

i hope the price drops and everyone is able to take advantage of it.

regards

Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM

An increased capacity for natural gas both for residential and industrial use would be nice for Vermont communities along viable corridors, but establishing the infrastructure to deliver the gas to market would be thwarted at every step in this state. The reality is that the companies that could be viable candidates to supply the gas will not bear the burden of large scale right of way and construction costs in the face of a burdensome regulatory climate. Just look at the hurdles and hassles that the renewable energy market is facing which even if successful could only provide a small fractional amount of baseline energy. The economic tradeoff reality here is that we have to be both willing and able to pay a premium for energy and if there are any remedies it will be decades away.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luvvt View Post
as for the gas/oil prices. my opinion is that it is all pre-planned. they have an aggenda and will continue to take greedily till someone stops them and i for one don't think that is going to happen.

i hope the price drops and everyone is able to take advantage of it.

regards
I agree! I heard somewhere (forget the news report) that the government is going to look into the fact that the major companies are posting record profits as the costs go spiralling upwards.

Funny that it took until towards the end of the heating season to do so.

I had to buy 150 gals of oil to see me through to June (OHW) yesterday for my home on LI. I was quoted $3.669/gal. I nearly choked. When all is said and done, I am projecting that I will have used 1,000 gals of oil here, where our winter has been far milder than VT's this year. I can't imagine what this would have translated into if this house were in VT.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree! I heard somewhere (forget the news report) that the government is going to look into the fact that the major companies are posting record profits as the costs go spiralling upwards.

Funny that it took until towards the end of the heating season to do so.

I had to buy 150 gals of oil to see me through to June (OHW) yesterday for my home on LI. I was quoted $3.669/gal. I nearly choked. When all is said and done, I am projecting that I will have used 1,000 gals of oil here, where our winter has been far milder than VT's this year. I can't imagine what this would have translated into if this house were in VT.
My husband and I moved here from LI. Are you familiar with Brookhaven Township? One huge advantage to living on LI, very expensive to live there but you get paid much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont