Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:53 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I've lived in several states, and I moved to Vermont from Oklahoma. VT is the worst, by far! I lived in NYC for a few years, and while people there can be rude, at least they're upfront about it. In Vermont, people will say nice things to your face while stabbing you in the back.

Maybe it's different in rural areas, but in Williston/Burlington, it is not a nice place to live. The hearts of the residents match the weather -- cold and dark.
Honestly, I have never heard anything like this about Vermont before. Anyone who moves there, knows that the weather is cold, the scenery is spectacular, and the interesting mix of locals, transplants, libertarians, and aging hippies, and a congenial lot.

Perhaps the culture shock of coming from bible belt, hot, flat, and bland Oklahoma, and moving to"live and let live", breathtakingly beautiful and quirky Vermont, was just too much. I am not being rude, I am only making an observation. Having been to OK, I observed that it's a state full of chain restaurants, oppressively hot weather, and fundamentalist Christians. I see that you now live in another Reno, another hot, western state.

It would be hard to find two states as dissimilar as OK and VT.

I am wondering what attracted you to VT in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
In San Antonio, my house had an alarm system on it-and even with all the windows & doors locked, I still slept with a knife next to my bed. (I'm not a gun person.) Here, we don't even lock our doors. I feel SAFE here in Vermont-something I didn't feel in Texas.

Texas is a big place - about 28 times as big as Vermont.

Please do not slam all of Texas with your feelings about San Antonio.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 PM

579 posts, read 368,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Honestly, I have never heard anything like this about Vermont before. Anyone who moves there, knows that the weather is cold, the scenery is spectacular, and the interesting mix of locals, transplants, libertarians, and aging hippies, and a congenial lot.

Perhaps the culture shock of coming from bible belt, hot, flat, and bland Oklahoma, and moving to"live and let live", breathtakingly beautiful and quirky Vermont, was just too much. I am not being rude, I am only making an observation. Having been to OK, I observed that it's a state full of chain restaurants, oppressively hot weather, and fundamentalist Christians. I see that you now live in another Reno, another hot, western state.

It would be hard to find two states as dissimilar as OK and VT.

I am wondering what attracted you to VT in the first place?

I lived in OK for 4 years, not my whole life. Like I said, I lived in NYC, and for more than 4 years.

The part of OK I lived in was not Oklahoma City or Tulsa. It was eastern OK near a lake, so not flat and relatively nice weather (compared to most of the south). It was a small town, with no chain restaurants except one Pizza Hut and one Sonic and one McDonald's.

Reno isn't hot now; it's cold!

I moved to VT for potential employment and quickly gave up.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

San Antonio, like any big city, has crummy neighborhoods. I've been there for work once, where the PA announcements to the customers were all in Spanish, and there was graffiti on the walls in the neighborhood. I also visited the Riverwalk once and didn't get shot or stabbed.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I had the displeasure of living in Vermont, Burlington area. Worst decision of my life. From day one I was informed that my views of things were meaningless as I wasn't a born and bred new englander. They were rude to my face, to my spouse's face and spread lies about us behind our backs.

If I had to do it over, I would live in a dirt hut in the Borneo Forest before I live in Vermont. I have told friends it is better to be homeless elsewhere (which I am not), than be a resident of that god awful, backwoods, hole in the wall state.

My only regret is it doesn't get hit by hurricane's and won't be wiped off the map.

I have never encountered that attitude from anyone I have met here in VT for the past 4 years.
I have never encountered that attitude from anyone I have met in any state or neighborhood I have ever lived in.
Makes me wonder how YOU approached the people YOU met.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have never encountered that attitude from anyone I have met here in VT for the past 4 years.
I have never encountered that attitude from anyone I have met in any state or neighborhood I have ever lived in.
Makes me wonder how YOU approached the people YOU met.
My guess is he violated the golden rule for newcomers to listen more than talk, to ask questions more than offer opinions. VT will welcome just about anyone but you must accept us as we are and in turn we will accept you as you are. Live and let live is not the norm everywhere.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My guess is he violated the golden rule for newcomers to listen more than talk, to ask questions more than offer opinions. VT will welcome just about anyone but you must accept us as we are and in turn we will accept you as you are. Live and let live is not the norm everywhere.

"Live and let live" is the opposite of ordering people around. It would help people coming to the state to see this at the state line so they're prepared:

Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post

I was brought in to help a church deal with the difficulties they had. My role was to listen but also talk and bring into place new policies and procedures to help them move forward and overcome the problems they had (which were many). If all I did was listen and nothing else, I wouldn't have done my job as required. They resented everything I had to say, even though I was following national guidelines with respect to policies and procedures, and continually wanted to do things their way, even though it was leading them on a road to failure.

Nasty is an understatement in how I was "welcomed". For example the first comments to me by some leadership in the church was to tell me I wasn't wanted and feel free to leave and find a church that needed me; even though the reason I was brought in was they needed what I was brought in to do.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:07 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

My experience of living in Texas was not a good one. I also lived in Wichita Falls for a short period of time, too so my experience with Texas wasn't just SA. I hated the weather-was TOO hot for me-not to mention the threat of tornadoes. Yeah, Vermont can get tornadoes but they are much smaller than the ones you get out west. But, what I will say about Texas is that do have outstanding Tex-Mex food.

Cat

Old 11-10-2018, 12:27 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I also lived in Oklahoma for a while-Tulsa. I still have family there (in fact, I was just there in Sept. visiting my sister and attending my niece's wedding). There are some things I like about Tulsa but I hate the weather-too hot and threat of tornadoes. I also don't like cities. I understand that some people thrive in cities and more power to them. But that is not for me-even Burlington & Rutland are too much urban for me. What I like about Tulsa is that it is fairly easy to find your way. I can't say that I have ever gotten lost in that city. What I don't like about it are all the fundamentalists who believe that their religion is the ONLY one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I had the displeasure of living in Vermont, Burlington area. Worst decision of my life. From day one I was informed that my views of things were meaningless as I wasn't a born and bred new englander. They were rude to my face, to my spouse's face and spread lies about us behind our backs.

If I had to do it over, I would live in a dirt hut in the Borneo Forest before I live in Vermont. I have told friends it is better to be homeless elsewhere (which I am not), than be a resident of that god awful, backwoods, hole in the wall state.

My only regret is it doesn't get hit by hurricane's and won't be wiped off the map.

This is really a nasty thing to say. You didn't like living here. Ok, I get that, but to wish disaster on a place that many of us love and call home is just nasty. I hate Texas with a passion but I NEVER wished ill on it because I know there are many people who love it and call it home-including a couple of my nieces. Talk about being rude.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont