Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I would LOVE to you to come here-but I know there is a certain lake that seems to be calling you. But any time you want to come, you are always welcome.

Cat
Where in Vermont do you live? Where did you move from?

We are in Vermont several times a year and we always have a wonderful time, good experiences with locals and when we leave, it's reluctantly.

Six years ago our oldest child moved to Vermont to attend college. He has since graduated, got his first job in Brattleboro and keeps talking about moving to Brooklyn NY , where many of his friends do, and putting off that move. We think he may be a "lifer".

I really love the scenary, both architectural and natural. EVERY season is beautiful in Vermont. People are civil, and community minded. As far as winter is concerned, I like snow. Cold is cold. Once the temperature dips to a certain point, it's all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 02:52 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Where in Vermont do you live? Where did you move from?

We are in Vermont several times a year and we always have a wonderful time, good experiences with locals and when we leave, it's reluctantly.

Six years ago our oldest child moved to Vermont to attend college. He has since graduated, got his first job in Brattleboro and keeps talking about moving to Brooklyn NY , where many of his friends do, and putting off that move. We think he may be a "lifer".

I really love the scenary, both architectural and natural. EVERY season is beautiful in Vermont. People are civil, and community minded. As far as winter is concerned, I like snow. Cold is cold. Once the temperature dips to a certain point, it's all the same.

I live in Rutland County. I am originally from upstate New York but have lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia (for a very short period of time), Oklahoma, & Texas. I even spent some time in Greece.

I used to live in the Bratt area.

What college?

Cat

Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 AM

229 posts, read 317,084 times
What I don't understand is all these people who hate Vermont and still keep reading threads on this forum and have to get into the Vermont forum to be aware of them? Why do you keep reading about a place you hate? I hate Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones, and I'm not aware of anything they say and can't participate in any of their ramblings! So if you hate VT so much why do you keep watching the VT forum?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:27 AM

809 posts, read 997,777 times
Phorlan, I think it might be a Vermont tradition. After the Erie Canal was developed, for the next century, one-third of Vermonters left the state. They probably grumped about their years here until the day they died. Those who remained remarked about the emigrants, "Thirty below keeps out the riffraff."

Old 11-15-2018, 04:58 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Texas is a big place - about 28 times as big as Vermont.

Please do not slam all of Texas with your feelings about San Antonio.
Yeah I didn't feel like this at all in San Antonio. There are parts of that city like that, but I was fortunate to live in some really nice areas

Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
I really don't like it here. The people are rude and lack social graces, they're uptight and pretentious. The cost of living is way too high for a small town. I feel like this place is not the cool laid back place that was sold to me.

To each their own of course. But I cannot wait to leave Burlington.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I really don't like it here. The people are rude and lack social graces, they're uptight and pretentious. The cost of living is way too high for a small town. I feel like this place is not the cool laid back place that was sold to me.

To each their own of course. But I cannot wait to leave Burlington.
You should try living in VT sometime instead of Burlington.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I live in Rutland County. I am originally from upstate New York but have lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia (for a very short period of time), Oklahoma, & Texas. I even spent some time in Greece.

I used to live in the Bratt area.

What college?

Cat
My son graduated with honors ( proud mom face), from Marlboro College. It would not have been my choice for myself, as an undergraduate, to develop my own "Plan of Concentration", write a thesis, or defend the thesis to a group of academics, and finally, to an outside examiner. However, he graduated with his writing skills honed to perfection. It was an incredible educational experience for him.

He lives in Bratt with his SO. She graduated a year later. He works in a gallery, but he's

I'm originally from down state NY - Oyster Bay, and later Stony Brook. When my DH was getting his masters at SUNY Binghamton, we lived in Vestal. I enjoyed it very much, but the city of Bing itself looked like post apocalyptic dystopia.
I did most of my undergraduate work in Massachusetts - Clark University. Although Worcester is not the most beautiful city, I really enjoyed New England, and I have a soft spot in my heart for old New England mill towns.

I've also lived in So Cal, (West Hollywood) NYC (East Village) and PA. The only place I did not enjoy was North Eastern PA. They don't take too well to "outsiders".

Now that I live in NE Ohio, I have gotten to know the Western part of my home state much better. It's incredibly beautiful. We enjoy visiting Cassadega NY every summer.
I really like Buffalo and Rochester. I frequently think that people from the NYC metro area are clueless about upstate NY. I've heard people call Duchess or Rockland counties "Upstate".

We thought of spending our "golden years" many places, including Upstate NY.

We like OH very much, but we really miss our friends and some family members. Most of them live in lower NY State - Westchester, Catskills, Hudson Valley, all over New England and Northern New Jersey.

When it comes down to it, Vermont seems like the most sensible choice to live out the rest of our lives.
We love it there, and it has an accepting and quirky vibe that is unique.
The scenery, both natural and architectural - is unparalleled. I love the lack of light pollution suburban "mall sprawl".

As a healthy foodie, it's close to paradise! Many delicious restaurant that serve locally sourced and organic foods. Food Co-Ops as well.

We are thinking about Southern Vermont. It's convenient to Boston, and not terribly far from anyone we miss. We love the mountains, but having grown up on Long Island, and summering in the Jersey Shore (Spring Lake - which is actually a shore town, with an ornamental lake) and Cape Cod, I do miss the ocean.

Really we would not be more than 2-4 hours from anything.

Please tell me what you love about Rutland? Why did you choose Vermont, and in particular, Rutland?

Another aspect that I love about Vermont is that many of it's residents are transplants. I like meeting locals, but it's also nice to meet people who have chosen to live in an area. Transplants tend to be more open minded and adventurous than people who never leave the area where they grew up.
That may not always hold true, but in my own experience it seems to be the case.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
What I don't understand is all these people who hate Vermont and still keep reading threads on this forum and have to get into the Vermont forum to be aware of them? Why do you keep reading about a place you hate? I hate Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones, and I'm not aware of anything they say and can't participate in any of their ramblings! So if you hate VT so much why do you keep watching the VT forum?
I know! I mean of all destinations in the United States, it is fairly easy to avoid Vermont if you don't like it.
Hate Vermont so much? Move, don't go there, or shut up.

Perfect examples. I hate Limbaugh and Jones also. I just don't listen to them. Ever. On City Data, there are certain forums that I avoid. For example, I am not a "prepper" - so I don't go on that thread to argue that I think they are wasting their time. Why stir the pot?

I just don't understand it.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My son graduated with honors ( proud mom face), from Marlboro College. It would not have been my choice for myself, as an undergraduate, to develop my own "Plan of Concentration", write a thesis, or defend the thesis to a group of academics, and finally, to an outside examiner. However, he graduated with his writing skills honed to perfection. It was an incredible educational experience for him.

He lives in Bratt with his SO. She graduated a year later. He works in a gallery, but he's

I'm originally from down state NY - Oyster Bay, and later Stony Brook. When my DH was getting his masters at SUNY Binghamton, we lived in Vestal. I enjoyed it very much, but the city of Bing itself looked like post apocalyptic dystopia.
I did most of my undergraduate work in Massachusetts - Clark University. Although Worcester is not the most beautiful city, I really enjoyed New England, and I have a soft spot in my heart for old New England mill towns.

I've also lived in So Cal, (West Hollywood) NYC (East Village) and PA. The only place I did not enjoy was North Eastern PA. They don't take too well to "outsiders".

Now that I live in NE Ohio, I have gotten to know the Western part of my home state much better. It's incredibly beautiful. We enjoy visiting Cassadega NY every summer.
I really like Buffalo and Rochester. I frequently think that people from the NYC metro area are clueless about upstate NY. I've heard people call Duchess or Rockland counties "Upstate".

We thought of spending our "golden years" many places, including Upstate NY.

We like OH very much, but we really miss our friends and some family members. Most of them live in lower NY State - Westchester, Catskills, Hudson Valley, all over New England and Northern New Jersey.

When it comes down to it, Vermont seems like the most sensible choice to live out the rest of our lives.
We love it there, and it has an accepting and quirky vibe that is unique.
The scenery, both natural and architectural - is unparalleled. I love the lack of light pollution suburban "mall sprawl".

As a healthy foodie, it's close to paradise! Many delicious restaurant that serve locally sourced and organic foods. Food Co-Ops as well.

We are thinking about Southern Vermont. It's convenient to Boston, and not terribly far from anyone we miss. We love the mountains, but having grown up on Long Island, and summering in the Jersey Shore (Spring Lake - which is actually a shore town, with an ornamental lake) and Cape Cod, I do miss the ocean.

Really we would not be more than 2-4 hours from anything.

Please tell me what you love about Rutland? Why did you choose Vermont, and in particular, Rutland?

Another aspect that I love about Vermont is that many of it's residents are transplants. I like meeting locals, but it's also nice to meet people who have chosen to live in an area. Transplants tend to be more open minded and adventurous than people who never leave the area where they grew up.
That may not always hold true, but in my own experience it seems to be the case.
I, too graduated with honors. I did my thesis on the effects of the Industrial Revolution on the Second Great Awakening in Vermont.

I am originally from Dutchess County and I have called it "upstate." Why? because whenever I told people that I am from New York, they ALWAYS asked, "The city?" So, I learned to say "upstate" so they know I am NOT from NYC.

I had issues with Ohio but that was because my ex was from there. I have since let go of a lot of the hurt, anger, etc.

When it was time for me to pick a place to live, I wanted the northeast. I had already lived in NY, Mass, & Conn and none of those appealed to me-even though I have family in NY & Conn. I choose Vermont because we used to come here when I was a kid and I loved it. Maine & NH were also on my radar but thought that I would give Vermont a try first-and never looked back.

I moved to Rutland County to go to school. It was during that time I met the love of my life. He lived here so after school, I stayed. (He is originally from NJ-moved here for work.) I don't live in Rutland but in the country (I don't want to say what town). Why do I like it here? I love the small town feel. I really hate traffic so living in a small town is perfect for me. I love the sense of community. I also love that even though there is a sense of community, people are not in your face. There is a saying, "As long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses..." Another thing that I really love about living here, is my house. It is a beautiful 1865 Victorian that we restored.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont