Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 AM

112 posts, read 51,318 times

Advertisements

I brought this up at my select board meeting the other night and didn't get much of a positive response at all. My idea was to try to identify people who might be housebound, sick/elderly, and not able to get out (and who didn't have family or someone to assist) during this crisis.
I wanted to put together a small bag of staple goods/non-perishables and 'deliver' that by leaving it on the porch or in the dooryard to minimize personal contact.
is anyone else thinking of doing this? Dear Hubs thinks I should NOT do this because of the chance for the virus to live on cans/paper/etc. My thought was to either hang on to the items until the life cycle outside the human body lapses or use disinfectant wipes so wipe down the items.
Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
There have been several posts in our local FPF with people offering similar things - whether to shop for those who can't leave the house, or cook for them, etc. I think they are working on creating a list of those who are willing to help, and having a non-public way of people to reach out to individuals to ask for it.

I think it's a wonderful idea and encourage you to try and do something - can you post on FPF and see if others would help? While I understand there are some concerns, the fact is if people can't leave their house, they will eventually need something. Community is one of the best parts of living in Vermont - if we can't offer to help others in times like this, what good is it???

Old 03-19-2020, 11:29 AM

112 posts, read 51,318 times
We have someone familiar with those in town who many need help and as it turns out many have the younger generation to help them out. So that is good, but we do think we will have some folks we can help and we'll figure out how best to initiate that. I'll try FPF too, good suggestion!!

Old 03-20-2020, 01:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
Of course, good luck and thank you for stepping up to help others - there have been many in our area who can't leave, so I think it's great that those of us who can help are trying to. Stay safe and healthy!

Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
When things get bad, it will either bring out the worst or the best in people. In the past week, I have seen a lot of the best in people. Asking if anyone needs assistance, watching kids, buying groceries, etc. etc. I am reminded of a quote by Calvin Coolidge.

I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the Union, and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont.

Cat

Old 04-11-2020, 07:51 PM

605 posts, read 624,180 times
I think the risk of spreading the virus by such deliveries can be minimized by educating recipients. I am quarantining everything possible that comes into my house. I leave all food cans and nonperishable food containers, all mail, cash from the bank, etc. in my garage for at least 3 days before bringing it into the house. I wash all perishables that can't be left in the garage: milk and yogurt containers, fruits, vegetables, etc. As a senior myself I would appreciate such deliveries as going to the grocery store sort of petrifies me. Yes, all this washing and quarantining is quite labor intensive, but I think it's the only way to stay safe. Whether seniors go out and buy their own food or you deliver it to them, there's a similar risk, which originates at the grocery store. I think your idea is very good. I suspect that by now there are such services in Vermont.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:53 AM

73 posts, read 101,521 times
You can always shop online, pay for it yourself, and have in delivered to their address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont