Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times

Advertisements

The ticks I get in lawn situations are almost always wood ticks, not deer ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:24 PM

542 posts, read 703,482 times
I have lived in Southern Vermont for 40 years, cut my own wood, do my own yard work out in the brush regularly and maybe I have had 2 ticks on me in all those years and no they did not give me Lyme disease. Dismiss this issue unless you want to live in a bubble. Like choosing not going to Florida because there are snakes.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:24 AM

208 posts, read 210,954 times
I have lived in Southern Vermont for 40 years, cut my own wood, do my own yard work out in the brush regularly and maybe I have had 2 ticks on me in all those years and no they did not give me Lyme disease. Dismiss this issue unless you want to live in a bubble. Like choosing not going to Florida because there are snakes.

Squarpeg have they started work on turning the old Kmart into an Ocean State Job Lot yet?

Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 PM

542 posts, read 703,482 times
I live near Brattleboro. We have never had a Kmart here.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:35 PM

208 posts, read 210,954 times
I live near Brattleboro. We have never had a Kmart here.

Okay.....thought you were in Bennington....

Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,930,010 times
It's hard to justify a move across the country based upon the mere possibility of a (non-existing?) teaching job. Most of the collegiate positions would be a bit north, in the Burlington area. If you're in the academic field, you should know this already. Albany, NY isn't far away, and would have even more academic opportunities than Burlington, but it's quite urban , and old ( but inexpensive, though)...

Old 09-19-2020, 10:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 623,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I just like how the area looks. And some of the homes.

Here's an example of a house that I think is pretty nice.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-61352?view=qv

Unfortunately though it seems we have hit a bit of a snag in our interest in Vermont. Ticks! How big of a problem are they? Is it common to find them in your lawn if you keep it mowed to a shorter length?

A review of some older posts on this forum regarding ticks didn't really elevate the concerns we have regarding ticks. Actually probably made them worst. People commenting, "oh i had three on me just yesterday" "I had Lyme disease twice in the last year", I wear two layers of clothing and take off the outer layer before getting in my vehicle", "we inspect for ticks every night before we shower".

Sounds like a big problem.
Hi, I have been living in Shaftsbury (about 15 minutes from Bennington) for over 10 years. I had chronic lyme disease many years ago and I was bit by a tick in Long Island (thank goodness I healed). Ticks are everywhere (even New York City) so it doesn't matter where you live you could get bit by a tick.

The bottom line is how healthy are you? If you have a strong immune system then I can almost guarantee you will not get lyme disease because your immune system will naturally kill any bacteria. Ticks are not the only vector that transmit lyme. Fleas, ants (red), spiders, (any vector that feeds off the host which is the white footed mouse) can transmit lyme.

I hope this helps!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:01 PM

47 posts, read 62,298 times
Houses are cheap in Bennington for a reason. The economy has been on a steady decline for decades, with factories and businesses closing and few replacing them. It's the main hub for the region and has all the social services, court systems, and services so it attracts a certain demographic. That said there are some nice neighborhoods and villages in the area. The downtown is pretty rough with the drugs, poverty, and crime that you would see in similar places like Barre, Rutland, Brattleboro, and Springfield. A quick 10 minute drive around will give you a flavor of the town: single moms in sweatpants and pajamas pushing strollers while talking on their cellphone, middle aged shirtless men with neck tattoos riding bmx bikes, kids running truant from school while their parents spend all day on their front porch smoking and drinking. If you have school aged children, find a school-choice town in Vermont so you have both public and private school options.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 623,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judder View Post
The downtown is pretty rough with the drugs, poverty, and crime that you would see in similar places like Barre, Rutland, Brattleboro, and Springfield. A quick 10 minute drive around will give you a flavor of the town: single moms in sweatpants and pajamas pushing strollers while talking on their cellphone, middle aged shirtless men with neck tattoos riding bmx bikes, kids running truant from school while their parents spend all day on their front porch smoking and drinking. If you have school aged children, find a school-choice town in Vermont so you have both public and private school options.
Most towns in the U.S. have the same problem as far as drugs, poverty, and crime.

When I moved here over 10 years ago I saw women wearing pajama bottoms while shopping because that was the style (they want to be comfortable) as well as men wearing shorts in 20 below degree weather. Nothing new there. When I drive into the town of Bennington I don't see kids running truant from school (maybe I just haven't noticed).

Anyway there are beautiful towns not far from Bennington such as Manchester, Shaftbury, etc. No town is perfect just as people aren't perfect.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 12,569 times
Default Polluted water supply in Bennington

Hi.. there is an issue of contaminated water in Bennington.

https://dec.vermont.gov/pfas/pfoa

This may be why some of the houses are less expensive. Be sure to do a deep dive into why a property seems too good to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont