Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM

840 posts, read 692,356 times

Advertisements

My wife and her friend want to hike Mt Mansfield the first week of November. If anyone is familiar, will the trails be open ? and based on past years how cold will if be up there (ball park).

Thanks very much.

Note: wife and her friend are in good shape, but were from Philly so I know the weather will be much colder.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 11:30 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Here's a link to some useful information from the Green Mountain Club: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/th...trip-planning/

And yes, you can expect it to be pretty cold, and maybe snowy or icy. The average temperatures on Mount Mansfield in November are a high of 32 and a low of 19.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:08 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Mansfield has already gotten snow and next week is calling for more. Whatever they do, make sure they are prepared for ALL types of conditions/weather/etc. Mountain Rescue is constantly being called out for assistance in all kinds of situations. Headlamps, extra food, water, clothes, etc. Not sure how much snow will fall next week (showing a mix of rain/snow in lower elevations) but expect a mix and opportunity for everything!

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2020, 03:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Why Mt. Mansfield? I suggest Mt. Monadnock. It has easy and challenging trails and is closer to Philly.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Expect winter conditions. Bring cramp ons, etc.
Also note VT's COVID travel requirements:
https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 PM

Thanks very much all, I guess they already have a condo rented close by and their flying into Burlington so they are pretty sure they want to do Mansfield

Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Snowed down in lower elevations this morning, more snow expected this week...

Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
So, here is a nice day hike, or an overnighter if that is your interest.

Pick Up Route 108 in Stowe..."The Mountain Road"

Past the ski area, a couple miles maybe (???), you will see a trail head on the left and a couple of parking spaces for the Long Trail. Sign in at the book, and then get going. Depending on your speed and ability, you can hike for a couple of hours and you will come to Taft Lodge--a little open front shelter on the left just below the peak. Stay over night here, or just take a break, have a snack and some water, and then turn around and head back down. You can allocate a full day if you are a slow hiker or simply want to enjoy the view, take some pictures, and enjoy being out of doors.

Be aware of the weather and ground conditions. It could be snowy and/icy. Assemble gear accordingly.

Enjoy.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:53 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks very much all, I think they are going to play it by ear. If its too cold/snowy then they may not hike at all. Otherwise I'll look into these. Thanks again

Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thanks very much all, I think they are going to play it by ear. If its too cold/snowy then they may not hike at all. Otherwise I'll look into these. Thanks again
My girlfriend's family lives in the MRV, and we've hiked a number of peaks in Vermont, including Mansfield, in 3/4 of the seasons (not too keen on winter hikes).

I think this largely depends on your wife/friend's experience level. While a casual hiker in decent shape can manage just fine on Mansfield from about mid-June through mid-October, I'd advise against it in early November. You can see ice and even a dusting of snow in and approaching the Alpline Zone as early as late summer and the odds of seeing either/both increase dramatically through October and into November. Even if there's no snow or ice, you'll almost certainly be scrambling over wet, slippery rocks and walking on mucky trails on the way to/from an exposed summit where you're likely to encounter cold winds. And even if they wake up to perfect conditions, they can change quite abruptly at higher elevations.

If your wife and friend are more than just casual day hikers and have the right equipment, it might be worth it if the weather cooperates. No matter what, I'd recommend extra layers and waterproof pants/jacket/gloves, crampons, hiking poles, and a headlamp (it gets dark early and delays starting/descending can put you on the trail after dark) at a minimum on top of the basics (first aid, food, water, good boots, etc.). Also look for local summit forecasts rather than your typical weather.com reports. The difference between the base and summit will likely be substantial. I usually check the NWS Mountain Point forecasts (fairly accurate) and the Mt. Washington Higher Summits forecasts (an indicator of possible extremes). Note the wind and wind chills. If you start off sweating and get to the unprotected summit and it's 30 degrees with 40 mph winds (not atypical), you're going to get cold fast.

I like the suggestion of going from 108 via the Long Trail. It's actually a relatively short hike (under 3 miles each way to the summit), but it's a knee-buster since you gain all that elevation in such a short span of time. This works because you do have the Taft Hut which is a nice option for shelter in case of a quick turn in the weather. It's also a good spot to turn around if it looks like you shouldn't keep going. Alternatively, I'd consider Camel's Hump via the Monroe Trail. Camel's Hump is a few hundred feet shorter than Mansfield, but it offers similarly stunning views. The trail is markedly easier (I'd call it "Moderate"), and while it has an alpine zone offering unobstructed 360-degree views, it's a smaller area, and it's just a short distance from the timber line to the summit which means less time spent exposed. I don't feel Camel's Hump is any less rewarding than Mansfield, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont