Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,296 times

Advertisements

@harry - Renting for a year is in the plan. That should tell if our Hopes (not dreams) are realistic. I've been to Vermont enough to believe that my expectations are reasonably accurate. Time will tell. Thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 06:24 AM

128 posts, read 168,348 times
I always enjoy reading these VT retirement threads. We live in NJ and have owned property in Plymouth VT for the past 18 years that we use extensively year round. We are in our mid-50s and also love the outdoors and outdoor activities. Skiing was the initial main draw for us along with the natural beauty and rural population. When we purchased there, we were in our late 30’s, had 3 young kids and retirement was the last thing on our minds. Now with less than 9 years left in the rat race, we think about it all the time and are strongly considering retiring to our place in VT, for at least most of the year, but have a serious reservations about it for a variety of reasons. We also own a condo on the Gulf coast which we intend to go to from about mid to late March until about early to mid-May and then again from about mid-August to around mid to late September whether we retire in VT or here in place in NJ. We are 4 season loving people but love summer the most and look forward to extending it as much as possible, especially in old age. We could never live in VT in retirement full time without having the ability to leave it for a warmer and sunnier climate for about 2-3 months a year. Winter in VT is just way too long and way too gray for us. That being said, Summer in VT is glorious. Coming from the west, where you are used to 300 plus sunny days a year, the many gray days of VT will likely wear on you. As an avid skier and snowmobiler, I enjoy cold and snow, even hope for it in winter, but the gray skies day after day would wear on me especially in late winter and early Spring.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:41 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,098 times
We saw the sun yesterday for the first time in over a week.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:41 AM

542 posts, read 701,883 times
Quote:
Now with less than 9 years left in the rat race, we think about it all the time and are strongly considering retiring to our place in VT, for at least most of the year, but have a serious reservations about it for a variety of reasons. We also own a condo on the Gulf coast which we intend to go to from about mid to late March until about early to mid-May and then again from about mid-August to around mid to late September whether we retire in VT or here in place in NJ. We are 4 season loving people but love summer the most and look forward to extending it as much as possible, especially in old age. We could never live in VT in retirement full time without having the ability to leave it for a warmer and sunnier climate for about 2-3 months a year. Winter in VT is just way too long and way too gray for us. That being said, Summer in VT is glorious. Coming from the west, where you are used to 300 plus sunny days a year, the many gray days of VT will likely wear on you. As an avid skier and snowmobiler, I enjoy cold and snow, even hope for it in winter, but the gray skies day after day would wear on me especially in late winter and early Spring.

I here that! I head for Florida after the leaves are off the trees, return sometime in the late spring. It has been a good plan so far. My friends ask how can I afford it? I tell them it is actually no more expensive then remaining year round in VT. I just shut my house down, drain the pipes. No heating bills, electric bills, plowing, or car destruction, put the cable TV on vacation mode and just find some cheap way to winter in FLA. For me it was about an even $ swap, and no shoveling. Although I choose to retain my VT residency.... if you can stomach being a Florida resident, you will have tax benefits to doing that too.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I here that! I head for Florida after the leaves are off the trees, return sometime in the late spring. It has been a good plan so far. My friends ask how can I afford it? I tell them it is actually no more expensive then remaining year round in VT. I just shut my house down, drain the pipes. No heating bills, electric bills, plowing, or car destruction, put the cable TV on vacation mode and just find some cheap way to winter in FLA. For me it was about an even $ swap, and no shoveling. Although I choose to retain my VT residency.... if you can stomach being a Florida resident, you will have tax benefits to doing that too.
Do you get mail forwarding? Thinking about bills that come to the house, especially annual / irregular ones.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:28 PM

542 posts, read 701,883 times
I tried that initially with mixed results. Now I just have someone collect it for me and send it down every couple weeks.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 PM

I've done the bi-state summer/winter travel, and that's just not for us. I want to stay in one place, even if it will never be "perfect" (no place is). A good 4 seasons -- even if some are challenging -- are wonderful.

(But then, maybe a month vacation in Havana during New England mud season doesn't sound too bad either.)

Old 12-06-2020, 01:33 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendwa View Post
I've done the bi-state summer/winter travel, and that's just not for us. I want to stay in one place, even if it will never be "perfect" (no place is). A good 4 seasons -- even if some are challenging -- are wonderful.

(But then, maybe a month vacation in Havana during New England mud season doesn't sound too bad either.)
I've been to Havana Florida. The smell from the nearby papermill alone would have kept me from wanting to stay a month, but just as concerning was that it was a run-down poor town where the biggest activity was front stoop sitting.

Surely you didn't mean Havana Cuba. Castro's brother is reputedly more hard-a** that Fidel. Straight from a neighbor in Florida that was from there.

Old 12-06-2020, 02:45 PM

Cuba is a nice country with wonderful people and an awful government. The Miami Cubans rightly hate anything Castro- and communist-related, but they have tainted our impressions of the country itself.

For me, I'd actually prefer Trinidad, Cuba, to Havana, as I still have friends there.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:29 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendwa View Post
I've made several visits to Vermont, and have decided that is where I want to finally retire.
You said you're from the west, so you'd better take into consideration the darkness of the winters. I'm a native Californian and lived off and on in Vermont for several years, including three winters. It's not just the cold, it's the dreariness of not seeing the sun for basically 2-3 straight months. Then you have to deal with mud season, which is as bad as the dreary days with no sunlight.

I would never advise anyone to retire to Vermont and live there F/T unless you have spent an entire winter living there. I mean December through April, then make your call. You've indicated you'll rent for that period, that's the wise move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont