Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 07:02 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,226,491 times

Advertisements

We heat with propane and have a wood stove we use on super cold days for a little extra heat, or when the power goes out.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:07 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,986,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Vermont is a beautiful state. However the winters are too long and gray for me and the month of April can crush your soul. Vermont is second in percentage of people with second homes. The winter season has plenty to do with that. My other challenge with Vermont is the air pollution. Approximately 25% of Vermonters heat with wood and the combustion creates so much carbon dioxide into the air it can become hard to breath in more densely populated areas. I'm sure the wood is stacked within 10 feet of the front doors already in many areas.
Oh, Pul-ease. I could as easily say the stench of superiority makes my breathing in Boston difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 PM

9,254 posts, read 5,020,627 times
Quote:
Vermont is a beautiful state. However the winters are too long and gray for me and the month of April can crush your soul. Vermont is second in percentage of people with second homes. The winter season has plenty to do with that. My other challenge with Vermont is the air pollution. Approximately 25% of Vermonters heat with wood and the combustion creates so much carbon dioxide into the air it can become hard to breath in more densely populated areas. I'm sure the wood is stacked within 10 feet of the front doors already in many areas.
What???? Spoken like someone who is not suited to live in VT....ever.

I'd like to see some factual back up regarding your remarks about difficulty breathing and air pollution.

You do know what we call you folks from Mass, don't you?

Old 10-06-2021, 05:44 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times
Quote:
April is glorious spring skiing season. Deep suntan. Big smile. Daylight until 7:30. It’s always been my favorite month in Vermont though all the slopeside tailgating is tough on your liver.

You’re confused about wood smoke. It’s particulate matter that causes the breathing issues, not carbon dioxide. Anyone who has been living with the western forest fire problem can speak to that. Good filters in an HVAC system or whole room HEPA filters solve that problem. We have a couple of Austin Air whole room HEPA filter machines. We don’t have a smoke problem but they work great for dust, pet dander, pollen, and mold.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
April is glorious spring skiing season. Deep suntan. Big smile. Daylight until 7:30. It’s always been my favorite month in Vermont though all the slopeside tailgating is tough on your liver.

You’re confused about wood smoke. It’s particulate matter that causes the breathing issues, not carbon dioxide. Anyone who has been living with the western forest fire problem can speak to that. Good filters in an HVAC system or whole room HEPA filters solve that problem. We have a couple of Austin Air whole room HEPA filter machines. We don’t have a smoke problem but they work great for dust, pet dander, pollen, and mold.
^^^ This (in general).

The amount of CO2 in the air is negligible, and because it comes from wood combustion and heat rises, it disperses quickly. The amount of ignorance these days about basic science is simply staggering.

There are gasses that can interfere with breathing, especially in those with various lung diseases. Ozone (found on mountaintops and around high voltage electrical equipment) can be a problem. Sulfur dioxide (which used to be found in coal burning and is sometimes used as a refrigerant) can be deadly at high concentrations. Ammonia and other industrial chemicals make the list. Burning plastic gives off a host of toxic chemical gasses. Carbon dioxide is non-toxic and only becomes a problem in silos, vats, and septic systems where it can pool and displace all the oxygen.

Why do I get so irritated when someone is careless enough to misstate science? Because it is a casual abdication of the universal responsibility to provide children and other adults with a factual reality. When people don't have enough of an understanding of reality to make informed choices, it puts them at a disadvantage and more easily subject to intentional lies and manipulation. In the extreme, a warped understanding of what is real and what is not results in a psychotic break, where bizarre beliefs and actions predominate.

I worked at VSH. I will flatly state that many of the patients there had a better grasp of reality than many people walking the streets today. I'm tired of seeing that. I'm tired of people who (intentionally or not) feed disinformation.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:49 AM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
76 posts, read 194,974 times
OK, just for fun: From a Vermonter's point of view, which regional state has the worst drivers? Here in Washington, it's Oregon (maybe they're all speeding to get out of Portland). When I lived in Colorado, it was New Mexico (”watch out for that crazy yellow-plater” [NM plates are yellow]). When I lived in New Mexico, it was... New Mexico. [Local Southwest joke: Q: What do they do when you fail your driver's license test in New Mexico? A: They give you yellow license plates. Q: What do they do when you pass your test? A: They give you yellow plates and disconnect your turn signals.]

Old 11-29-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendwa View Post
OK, just for fun: From a Vermonter's point of view, which regional state has the worst drivers? Here in Washington, it's Oregon (maybe they're all speeding to get out of Portland). When I lived in Colorado, it was New Mexico (”watch out for that crazy yellow-plater” [NM plates are yellow]). When I lived in New Mexico, it was... New Mexico. [Local Southwest joke: Q: What do they do when you fail your driver's license test in New Mexico? A: They give you yellow license plates. Q: What do they do when you pass your test? A: They give you yellow plates and disconnect your turn signals.]
Quebec.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:44 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Quebec.
I think it depends where in Vermont. You’re unlikely to get Quebec as a response in Bennington. They don’t experience the 90 mph Je Me Souviens plates roaring by.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:20 PM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
76 posts, read 194,974 times
Does anyone have experience with home battery power backups? Such as (for example) the Generac PWRcell, Tesla Powerwall, or others. It's not fun sitting in the cold and dark without grid power. (Trying to avoid a generator system, if possible.)

Old 06-01-2022, 02:58 PM

613 posts, read 1,010,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What???? Spoken like someone who is not suited to live in VT....ever.

I'd like to see some factual back up regarding your remarks about difficulty breathing and air pollution.

You do know what we call you folks from Mass, don't you?
mass holes!

Although we had some super nice neighbors from Mass. (And Boston is the greatest.) I loved them when I visited them THERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont