Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 144,604 times

Advertisements

I need an apartment. I live in hinesburg and the landlord is great but the apartment is not good for my daughters. But when i was a single mother 2 years ago i had a roomate leave and took everything. I was not able to pay for the 3 bedroom place alone and had no friends or family that lived in that state. I tried to take him to court but couldnt find him and because of this i have an eviction on my record. And it sucks because there was nothing I could do, I tried everything.

How can I find a place that will try and look past this? Both my husband and me work and I have a great family around me. I just need a place thats good for us. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
One unusual option:
HomeShare Vermont Home Page
"Welcometo HomeShare Vermont, providing matching services for homesharing and caregiving. HomeShare Vermont assists elders and persons with disabilities to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with persons who seek affordable housing and/or caregiving opportunities. HomeShare Vermont provides a matching service and our services are available to anyone in Chittenden County, Vermont."

Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM

226 posts, read 693,632 times
HomeShare can be pretty picky though, I rejected one lady because she openly said she would mistreat me and let my indoor cat out (she lived on a busy street) and they have yet to present me with another option, though I have read of several seemingly good matches in the paper.

Try craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums Burlington Apartments-Vermont apartment rental, relocation and real estate resource or the classifieds in Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice or in the Free Press. Most landlords will be understanding if you tell them before they do a credit check, if they do one at all. (Only one of my landlords ever has.)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
HomeShare can be pretty picky though, I rejected one lady because she openly said she would mistreat me and let my indoor cat out (she lived on a busy street)
OMG!!! That's not picky, that's common sense to stay away from someone like that. At least she was honest enough to let you know what an awful housemate she'd be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
and they have yet to present me with another option, though I have read of several seemingly good matches in the paper.
That's too bad. I wonder if there are organizational issues gumming up the works. Seems like a great concept to me if it can be coordinated sanely.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM

but im not on disability or anything like that. Isnt that only for people who are elderly?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 AM

I dont wont to live with other people. We have 4 people in our family that would not work out for us.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,740 times
I would try to find out what is on record and try to fix it even if you need legal counsel.
I have heard of people explaining the situation if they like the apt.
If you are a clean sane reasonable person I think that will come through and you
may meet a reasonable landlord. Wouldn't 1st and last month rent cover problems
too?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 AM

well i hope so. I was able to get 2 apartments after this mis-hap but they dont do credit checks. Sucks and from what someone said before that they do everything first before getting the sherrif to come and effict you. We left befor that happend and again i had no family there i was pregnant and had a one year old. I worked at a bank but times were hard and we stayed in a hotel for a little while then my boyfriends aunt took us in and we found a place 2 months later. It sucks because i work hard im a great mother we are not dirty scum people who have no money because we spend it on crap. I just ran though hard times because of my roomate. I was a manager at bank of america. So i hope that helps to show that we are just a young family that has had some bad luck is all.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Unfortunately landlords are going to have to be even more picky and careful in the quest for what they deem reliable tenants due to the souring of the economy. It is getting to the point pretty quickly now that many more folks will just not be able to make all of their monthly obligations between rent, insurance, utilities, gasoline, etc. Several of the Vt electric utilities are reporting a sharp rise in delinquent accounts which when you consider that the electric rates per kwh have not really risen in the past year just indicates that folks are being more selective on what bills they send out each month. Now that oil today is flirting with $130.00 p/bbl the overall picture is just going to get tougher and tougher.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 AM

65 posts, read 358,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyD View Post
I need an apartment. I live in hinesburg and the landlord is great but the apartment is not good for my daughters. But when i was a single mother 2 years ago i had a roomate leave and took everything. I was not able to pay for the 3 bedroom place alone and had no friends or family that lived in that state. I tried to take him to court but couldnt find him and because of this i have an eviction on my record. And it sucks because there was nothing I could do, I tried everything.

How can I find a place that will try and look past this? Both my husband and me work and I have a great family around me. I just need a place thats good for us. Any suggestions?
Most apartments if u have bad credit they just make put down a bigger deposit thats all. But I dot know about vermont cause I dont live there lol. But hoping to be there soon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: