Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 06:39 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Diversity of what?

No one can afford to live in VT, liberal haven designed to keep transgressors out.

Try to find a bathroom in VT!!

Need a NH fishing license to fish the VT shore of the CT river. Beautiful but very weird place.

All bridges over the Ct river belong to NH, important to note if the rescue squad is required
Try to find a bathroom???

Seems to be a lot of people living there, including plenty of my family, that does.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:51 PM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
The Kingdom (that is, the Northeast Kingdom - the three NE-most counties) is traditionally the most conservative area.

There's a lot of poverty in VT (ditto NH & ME), and liquid wealth tends to be in the hands of folks who came From Away.

SW VT, being closest to NYC, has a lot of NY transplants blessed with coin.

And remember, the main season in VT is...winter aka ski season. Summer is a time to repair roads so they are ready in November. Leaf-peaping is just a profitable shoulder season. Spring is Mud and Black Fly Seasons.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:02 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Need a NH fishing license to fish the VT shore of the CT river. Beautiful but very weird place.

All bridges over the Ct river belong to NH, important to note if the rescue squad is required
Not quite the full story. VT and NH have reciprocity for resident licenses on the river. Non-residents would technically need a NH license. https://vtfishandwildlife.com/fish/f...nt%20and%20New

Old 06-08-2021, 09:07 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
For the OP, it really depends on where you are. In the NEK (Essex County even voted for Trump) you'd fit in quite well. Same would be true in Rutland County which often leans Republican though not always. Other rural parts of the state are not as far left as many perceive VT to be. Some parts of VT indeed are extremely far left and very intolerant of dissenting opinions. Chittenden County is that way. Windham County to a point. Other individual towns to avoid would be places like Woodstock or Norwich. I think many people in the state would probably welcome the state moving politically back towards the middle.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:52 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said they moved to VT to "get away" from diversity.
You claimed transplants to Vermont come from very diverse areas. I asked for a link that indicates transplants to Vermont come from very diverse areas. You will not provide a link because you made it up.

The latest census indicates there are 608,827 people in Vermont. Of that 608,827 there are less than 3,000 black people living in the state. (2981).

Posters here are always asking about areas to live and many mention they want to live in a diverse area. Vermont has almost no diversity, that's an undisputable fact.

https://www.censusscope.org/us/rank_...namerican.html

Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I would agree with that...if I meet people who just moved here or are recent relocatees, they come from bigger cities and are sick of those places. They want a quiet, peaceful life, with open spaces, and good places to raise their kids. There is nothing wrong with that.
No. Most recent transplants come from lilly white affluent suburbs where diverse is Asian/Indian. They’re not coming from places with large African American and Hispanic immigrant population in their suburban public schools.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:00 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
The Kingdom (that is, the Northeast Kingdom - the three NE-most counties) is traditionally the most conservative area.

There's a lot of poverty in VT (ditto NH & ME), and liquid wealth tends to be in the hands of folks who came From Away.

SW VT, being closest to NYC, has a lot of NY transplants blessed with coin.

And remember, the main season in VT is...winter aka ski season. Summer is a time to repair roads so they are ready in November. Leaf-peaping is just a profitable shoulder season. Spring is Mud and Black Fly Seasons.
Six months of winter, six months of bad skiing.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! 7D and Digger are both, for the most part, bush league jokes. Not to say the the ancient BFP was any better. Back in the day, the Times Argus had more of an even keel than any of those. Times change.

The tradition of long-serving senators is part of the culture of Vermont. Aiken served since the great flood. Patrick was someone I met in passing as the Chittenden County DA. (Not to be confused with a veiled epithet that D.A. stood for Doughy ($$$) A.. (aka donkey).

I keep needling my brother about how Alabama is more like Vermont than Vermont. Apparently, we now have cooler temperatures than Vermont as well.
Hey Harry! Hope you are well.
I don't even remember when the Not So Free Press was actually a good newspaper. We don't really have one here, although local convenience stores carry the Boston Globe and NY Times. I can't judge them because I don't read them.
Anyone interested in more unbiased reporting probably reads online news outlets. When there is so much else going on in the world, the lack of local coverage here on those stories is obvious and troubling, at least for me.

I've never seen Leahy or Welch, but twice, I saw Bernie....Once, he was in TJ Maxx buying underwear (not kidding) and the other time he tried to give me a campaign button at the now defunct Apple Festival out on the Islands....which I declined.

I'd like to drive through Alabama and take a look. Sister lives in CA and we were hotter here than she was last week.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:29 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
As well as can be expected, Riley. Same back at ya.

Back when Peter owned WCAX and they first had a web page, they posted the teleprompter scripts online. It was a fantastic fast way of keeping up with local things in Vermont. The website now is designed for phones and a step backward for folks like me. I do see on it that the new owner of the bookstore in Waterbury has developed a contest on Waterbury history. That $500 prize might almost pay for a couple night's lodging and a tank of gas for a visit. (I'd either ace the test or make corrections to it. )

Be careful on that drive in Alabama. If you hit the northeast part of the state, Desoto Canyon and park, the waterfalls, the lakes, and the Huntsville area, you might never want to leave.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
You claimed transplants to Vermont come from very diverse areas. I asked for a link that indicates transplants to Vermont come from very diverse areas. You will not provide a link because you made it up.

The latest census indicates there are 608,827 people in Vermont. Of that 608,827 there are less than 3,000 black people living in the state. (2981).

Posters here are always asking about areas to live and many mention they want to live in a diverse area. Vermont has almost no diversity, that's an undisputable fact.

https://www.censusscope.org/us/rank_...namerican.html
I made it up? Okay, I made it up. Could it be that I have lived here for twenty years and spoke to a lot of people who told me where they came from? A lot of transplants come from populated areas, like NYC and NJ.

Can people give their opinions anymore without being ridiculed? Try being kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont