Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 12:02 PM

544 posts, read 943,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
The eviction ban is ugliness all around, and anyone who won't appreciate the other side's anxiety and losses is a close-minded fool.
Many of us were and are renters. I couldn't imagine not paying my rent, or damaging someone else's property when I was a tenant. I was also fortunate to have had all good landlords, save for one. Even he wasn't that bad compared with stories I've heard.

One friend had a deadbeat in the Mount Snow area. It was his only rental property; one he planned to retire to. He was thisclose to losing the house as the eviction process dragged on; the tenant damaged the home punching holes in walls, tearing doors off, and, before finally leaving, pouring cement down the drains and leaving the faucets running.

The tenant went on to haunt someone else. My friend stopped renting his home.

It's a shame that one bad apple ruins it for all the decent tenants out there. Even my elderly in-laws stopped renting their home (another state) after the non-paying tenants trashed their cottage. These pigs went so far as to smear human excrement on the ceilings, walls and floors, punched holes in every single wall, ripped sinks from bathrooms, slashed screens. The home was cleaned, repaired, and promptly listed for sale. This was their first ever bad tenant, and their last tenant ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 02:11 PM

272 posts, read 166,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Many of us were and are renters. I couldn't imagine not paying my rent, or damaging someone else's property when I was a tenant. I was also fortunate to have had all good landlords, save for one. Even he wasn't that bad compared with stories I've heard.

One friend had a deadbeat in the Mount Snow area. It was his only rental property; one he planned to retire to. He was thisclose to losing the house as the eviction process dragged on; the tenant damaged the home punching holes in walls, tearing doors off, and, before finally leaving, pouring cement down the drains and leaving the faucets running.

The tenant went on to haunt someone else. My friend stopped renting his home.

It's a shame that one bad apple ruins it for all the decent tenants out there. Even my elderly in-laws stopped renting their home (another state) after the non-paying tenants trashed their cottage. These pigs went so far as to smear human excrement on the ceilings, walls and floors, punched holes in every single wall, ripped sinks from bathrooms, slashed screens. The home was cleaned, repaired, and promptly listed for sale. This was their first ever bad tenant, and their last tenant ever.
As someone who has been a tenant, a homeowner, a caregiver to hoarders (family and others), and even homeless at one point, I have developed an unusual theory about real estate. I believe it is the easiest way for people to exercise evil that is socially approved or tolerated.

From the evil landowners' or evil landlord's perspective, their evil is the ability to say, "Now I love them, now I don't," when it comes to taking care of what they know is not an emergency repair or renovation but action that affects human dignity. This could be anything at all, depending on the level of finances involved (of both owner and tenant). It could be an extra outlet that really should be dropped to a bathtub faucet washer that has never been changed. It's the ability to inflict pain by saying a Bartleby, "I prefer not to."

From the tenants' or glorified vandals'/thieves' point of view, evil is the ability to show the excesses of human degradation. Concrete down the drains, excrement on walls--this is psychopathy. It can never be as subtle as the "lords'" sadism and is necessarily brutal in nature.

In my opinion, the eviction moratorium allowed for evil of both groups of people to flourish. We're living in an increasingly narcissist and evil time. It is not a pleasant time to be alive.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:33 PM

544 posts, read 943,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
As someone who has been a tenant, a homeowner, a caregiver to hoarders (family and others), and even homeless at one point, I have developed an unusual theory about real estate. I believe it is the easiest way for people to exercise evil that is socially approved or tolerated.

From the evil landowners' or evil landlord's perspective, their evil is the ability to say, "Now I love them, now I don't," when it comes to taking care of what they know is not an emergency repair or renovation but action that affects human dignity. This could be anything at all, depending on the level of finances involved (of both owner and tenant). It could be an extra outlet that really should be dropped to a bathtub faucet washer that has never been changed. It's the ability to inflict pain by saying a Bartleby, "I prefer not to."

From the tenants' or glorified vandals'/thieves' point of view, evil is the ability to show the excesses of human degradation. Concrete down the drains, excrement on walls--this is psychopathy. It can never be as subtle as the "lords'" sadism and is necessarily brutal in nature.

In my opinion, the eviction moratorium allowed for evil of both groups of people to flourish. We're living in an increasingly narcissist and evil time. It is not a pleasant time to be alive.
The whole thing is mind-boggling. I guess I was an excellent tenant. We painted the house (exterior, same color as not to change its appearance) and interior, repaired the heat, laid a carpet, fixed appliances. In return, our landlord (who was an excellent landlord) charged us a lower rent because we were improving his property. He would see a significant ROI.

Simply put, if you own something you have 'skin in the game' while the person renting does not. There are tenants who think a landlord is rich by virtue of owning property. For someone like my in-laws, retired and on a fixed income, this was not the case. The wholesale destruction of their home cost them more than money. It undermined their sense of trust in people and broke their hearts. The tenant went off to darken someone else's doorstep, money in his pocket saved by not paying rent, while my in-laws spent the last of their savings repairing the home, forcing them to sell it.

As you can probably sense, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I vowed never to be a landlord.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:17 AM

272 posts, read 166,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
The whole thing is mind-boggling. I guess I was an excellent tenant. We painted the house (exterior, same color as not to change its appearance) and interior, repaired the heat, laid a carpet, fixed appliances. In return, our landlord (who was an excellent landlord) charged us a lower rent because we were improving his property. He would see a significant ROI.

Simply put, if you own something you have 'skin in the game' while the person renting does not. There are tenants who think a landlord is rich by virtue of owning property. For someone like my in-laws, retired and on a fixed income, this was not the case. The wholesale destruction of their home cost them more than money. It undermined their sense of trust in people and broke their hearts. The tenant went off to darken someone else's doorstep, money in his pocket saved by not paying rent, while my in-laws spent the last of their savings repairing the home, forcing them to sell it.

As you can probably sense, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I vowed never to be a landlord.
Very well-said. Evil doesn't distinguish between social class. It's so sad that we live in a world where trillions believe it does. Being rich or even being able to get buy without depending on government charity doesn't make you good or bad. Being poor and abused by others doesn't give you the right to impoverish anyone or become an abuser in turn.

There's a higher law, and unfortunately in the U.S.--and I do mean unfortunately--some potent force insists that that higher law is denied. I'm sorry to hear about your in-laws story. It was mine as well.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:38 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,306,055 times
Have they always been more expensive than Maine and New Hampshire.

I think their proximity to NYC and Montreal are going to make them pricier. Northern NH is nice but northern Maine sucks. Lots of poverty and lots of people treat their property like a junkyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: