Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 11:52 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
How do you avoid a tax on your home? Apparently, you move to certain parts of Alaska.
Or Alabama!

When you live in built-up areas with lots of services, taxes can be higher. Somehow those services have to be funded. Want a fire department to protect your home from burning down? Is funding that department regressive, just because it is part of property tax? Want police to keep the drug dealing and human trafficking to a dull roar next to your second home? Gee, that could be a regressive tax...

To offer a counterpoint about growing own food - I suppose I could live in a homeless encampment, but then how would I get food to survive in Alabama on a limited income without paying a tax on food that supports incentives to big business? Somehow, that seems like more of a regressive tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 02:56 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Or Alabama!

When you live in built-up areas with lots of services, taxes can be higher. Somehow those services have to be funded. Want a fire department to protect your home from burning down? Is funding that department regressive, just because it is part of property tax? Want police to keep the drug dealing and human trafficking to a dull roar next to your second home? Gee, that could be a regressive tax...

To offer a counterpoint about growing own food - I suppose I could live in a homeless encampment, but then how would I get food to survive in Alabama on a limited income without paying a tax on food that supports incentives to big business? Somehow, that seems like more of a regressive tax.
I'm on a private road I pay to maintain off a class 4 road the town refuses to maintain (they literally downgraded the road even while a dozen people were living on it, even though they keep roads with a single resident on them classified as class 3). The fire department is a volunteer department. There are no local police. It's just the state police, an hour away on most days. They refused to come out even when 40 or more drunk rednecks off-roading and partying were trespassing and threatening me a couple years ago so I doubt they will ever show up for anything I may need them for. There are no "services" here. I have no kids in the poorly ranked local school I pay out the nose to fund. Friends of mine with kids pay out of pocket to send theirs to private schools so they can get an actual education.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:27 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
I also have a driveway off an I maintained road. The town gives me and my neighbors a 10% “discount” on our property taxes that takes this into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm on a private road I pay to maintain off a class 4 road the town refuses to maintain (they literally downgraded the road even while a dozen people were living on it, even though they keep roads with a single resident on them classified as class 3). The fire department is a volunteer department. There are no local police. It's just the state police, an hour away on most days. They refused to come out even when 40 or more drunk rednecks off-roading and partying were trespassing and threatening me a couple years ago so I doubt they will ever show up for anything I may need them for. There are no "services" here. I have no kids in the poorly ranked local school I pay out the nose to fund. Friends of mine with kids pay out of pocket to send theirs to private schools so they can get an actual education.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:18 PM

68 posts, read 55,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Trying to clarify our stances, New Hampshire is considered to be ... different... in that it refused sales tax and taxes property heavily. It also has been a bastion of the right, championed by a certain influential newspaper.
Your comments are about 50 years out of date. I'd call N.H. more of a "purple" state. No, it's not as liberal (I hate the word "progressive" as a euphemism for liberal) as many of our neighbors but it's hardly a bastion of the right, and the U-L doesn't have anywhere near the influence it did when the Loebs were running it. Even in rural Coos county, most elections go pretty close to 50/50.

As far as property taxes go, I live in N.H., one of my sisters lives in Vt. Both of our homes are similar in assessed value, but her property taxes are actually a bit higher than mine. Plus she's subject to both sales and income taxes. I don't see that she gets any more for her money than I do.

I have no use for a sales tax, to me an income is the lesser evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont