Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,214 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to Vermont. We haven't decided where exactly yet, which may make answering this question difficult. We're not quite sure yet. Anyway, we are in the pet care business and would like to open our own pet care facility. The facility would have dog daycare as well as overnight boarding for dogs, cats, birds, exotics, etc. What we want to know is would this business be profitable in a bigger Vermont city? Would you or someone you know need to board a pet or take a dog to a daycare? Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 38,591 times
I believe you could be good depending on where you go to. I live in NY but the ferry to VT is a mile from my house. Many people do many things for their pets as they are their children but that is all i have to base my backing on.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,477,881 times
Try Burlington. I was just there today for the first time in years and thie city is Growing. And in a positive way. It was nice to see the tree huggers Haven't taken over all of VT. Well Not yet. LOL It was Nice to see how they have bettered themselves from the rest of the state. There was work everywhere. And The ppl I talked with aside from Friendly where saying the taxes where to high ect. PPl only talk when they are about to revolt. So the taxes will be going down as well soon. It is a nice state and you can make money with what you got.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,404 times
I'm a Realtor. I typically assist with marketing residential property and representation of buyers of residential property. Last year however, I sold a single family home on 11 acres ...with a state of the art dog-boarding kennel attached, a unique and wonderful property.

The first observation I'll share is that there are a number of facilities in the area Greater Burlington Area which would be competition for you.
The second is that there are a number of zoning and land use issues which you'll want to be aware of. And suitable properties for this sort of business are more difficult to find than you might think.

The other thing I'll mention seems obvious to me, but seemed a revelation to almost every person who enquired - dozens of people - and that's that you'll need some capital. An awful lot of people seem to think that the cash flow from a business like this is going to be entirely sufficient to finance the mortgage debt. Which simply isn't the case.

I hope that's helpful...

Last edited by chaz longue; 01-08-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,677 times
Uh... Chaz; Apologies, but I just hit the negative reputation button for your post. I meant to do just the opposite as your information was clear and concise . Sorry!

I drive by the doggy daycare in Richmond on Thursday mornings and the place appears to be booming. It's situated perfectly too - on Rte 2 near the I-89 parking lot for commuters.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,790,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Uh... Chaz; Apologies, but I just hit the negative reputation button for your post. I meant to do just the opposite as your information was clear and concise . Sorry!

I drive by the doggy daycare in Richmond on Thursday mornings and the place appears to be booming. It's situated perfectly too - on Rte 2 near the I-89 parking lot for commuters.
That's quite allright. Thanks very much.

DB

Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,277,685 times
As mentioned above, there are quite a few doggie daycare/boarding facilities in the Burlington area already. I can think of 4 off the top of my head. Not to mention that a lot of the vet hospitals board as well.
Check into a resort town - many visitors to Vermont bring their dogs - a pet-friendly Inn with on-site daycare may be a good venture in a town popular with overnight tourists.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,091 times
There was a neat story on the news here recently where such a facility operates in the Burlington area and they actually come out and pick up your pet in what looks like a school bus type vehicle. As a previous post realistically mentioned there is competition here as well the factors of entry costs and ongoing expenses of running a business which in VT can be very high. I have met many folks here with great ideas and experiences running unique business operations, but the overwhelming commentary I have heard is that in VT you will more economic challenge to remain viable. Do your research and good luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,689 times
Smile Pet daycare!

Most of our Vets up here board animals, but folks around here really believe their pets are part of the family. I should know I have four dogs and three of four of them are currently sleeping on the couch right now. My recommendation is to look into a daily daycare program. Where we live there aren't many and I live in a small town outside of several wealthy housing towns, such as Dorset and Manchester that they just don't have what people are looking for.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,760,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
No worries, I just added one for Chaz! He provided good information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Check into a resort town - many visitors to Vermont bring their dogs - a pet-friendly Inn with on-site daycare may be a good venture in a town popular with overnight tourists.
We have a vacation home in Stowe, and enjoy going to the dog shows held there. There used to be an inn called the "Two Dog Lodge" where people could stay with their pets but that closed last year, I believe the building now houses a Hockey Academy. Vter has an excellent point, people like to travel with their dogs. There may be a market for providing a nice place for the dog to stay while their people are vacationing.

Last edited by Adream; 01-09-2007 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont