Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 PM

25 posts, read 135,786 times

Advertisements

Are New Englanders friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Veries greatly state to state. I would say NH VT and RI would be the Friendliest. From My view anyway. I'm sure others will have diffrent views.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Are New Englanders friendly?

No, I don't think New Englanders per say are particularly friendly, especially if you are comparing them to other areas of the country; the midwest etc. I think many New Englanders have an initial suspicion regarding newcomers, and they are also more standoffish at first. But in my opinion this is not a bad trait. They sort of size you up and form an opinion over time. But then again , when I moved to Vermont and didn't know how to drive in the snow, they were always willing to help with a tow, or a snow shovel!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
The part about getting stuck in the snow rings true here. I grew up in Concord, NH and thought I'd live there forever. But it kept getting more and more built up which made me long for wide open spaces. Northern VT fit the bill and soon after I moved here, some friends came to visit and got stuck in a ditch. The next car that came along stopped and pulled them out. My wife broke down going to work several times for the overnight shift in a nursing home and folks were very kind to give her a hand. One couple took her into their home and let her call me. The other time, she was given a ride to her job. My truck's fuel line froze up one time around midnight when it was 30 below on my way home and the next guy along gave me a ride to my house. Those experiences have given me faith in Vermonters, at least, but I would like to think all people as well. But I suppose that's being a little naive.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
IMO, in all my travels from Alaska to Florida, from Maine to California, hands down the most friendly folks I have ever had the opportunity to meet are Vermonter's. Salt of the earth.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
I have lived in NYC (born and raised), NH, AK and now Vermont and I have to agree that at first glance folks up here may seem a bit standoffish, but as a previous post illustrates this is still a place where total strangers will go out of their way to lend a helping hand without expecting something in return. Vt is still a safe and attractive place to live, but unfortunately the economics of the state are forcing a large segment of the population to be actively researching relocation. These are not relative newcomers who have become disillusioned, but rather life long Vermonters who after crunching the numbers cannot see themselves being able or willing to pay the taxes and fees here. Many of course want a warmer climate, but most of my contacts cite the cost of living and lack of faith in this states electorate to deal with the issue. TN, NC, and SC seem to be a destination meriting a lot of research.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:41 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
The part about getting stuck in the snow rings true here. I grew up in Concord, NH and thought I'd live there forever. But it kept getting more and more built up which made me long for wide open spaces. Northern VT fit the bill and soon after I moved here, some friends came to visit and got stuck in a ditch. The next car that came along stopped and pulled them out. My wife broke down going to work several times for the overnight shift in a nursing home and folks were very kind to give her a hand. One couple took her into their home and let her call me. The other time, she was given a ride to her job. My truck's fuel line froze up one time around midnight when it was 30 below on my way home and the next guy along gave me a ride to my house. Those experiences have given me faith in Vermonters, at least, but I would like to think all people as well. But I suppose that's being a little naive.
I grew up in Concord too, until 1963 anyway. What schools did you go to?

Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Small world. Well, I lived on the heights. Attended Dame, Rundlett and CHS This was in the late 50s, through hs graduation in 71. What do you want to bet we know some of the same people?!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
No, I don't think New Englanders per say are particularly friendly, especially if you are comparing them to other areas of the country; the midwest etc. I think many New Englanders have an initial suspicion regarding newcomers, and they are also more standoffish at first. But in my opinion this is not a bad trait. They sort of size you up and form an opinion over time. But then again , when I moved to Vermont and didn't know how to drive in the snow, they were always willing to help with a tow, or a snow shovel!
This is so true. I traveled the country for several years, and New England is just as decribed here. Here ppl consider themselves friendly. But ppl from other parts of the country do not at first normally. Not until they Break Down anyway lol. But yes we are friendly Once you get past our N.E. none offensive ATT.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Small world. Well, I lived on the heights. Attended Dame, Rundlett and CHS This was in the late 50s, through hs graduation in 71. What do you want to bet we know some of the same people?!
Penacook St. Walker and Rundlett, HS grad out of state in 67.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: