Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 AM

367 posts, read 696,123 times

Advertisements

In passing along my sincere condolences to the family of Brooke Bennett who was found dead yesterday in Randolph. The crime that was allegedly committed is simply despicable and my hope is whomever did this will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I don't have kids myself and cannot imagine the grief her family is going through right now.

Rest in peace kid, your life was way too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times
my heartfelt sorrow goes out to her family, that inocent little girl will be in my prayers.

I have 3 daughters from 9-14 and it just saddens me to know that her life was so brutally cut short.

The ugly underbelly of the internet is showing.

Goodnight sweet princess and Godspeed.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 AM

37 posts, read 89,502 times
Default Horrible and saddening

I read in the Burlington Free Press yesterday that the suspect had raped an 18 yr old in 2003 recieved a 6-10 prison term and was released after 3 years. He had handcuffed the woman, placed a rope around her neck, gagged her, and told her he had raped and killed a 12 year old in AZ and would do the same to her if she went to the police.

This guy has not been convicted of killing his niece. However,

something is very very wrong with our penal system if someone is convicted of rape as desribed in the paper gets out after only 3 years. Most of the violent rapes and murders in VT over the recent years have been by repeat offenders. I've spoken with folks who work at the Women's Rape Crisis Center up here in Burlington, and was told that most rapests are repeat offenders, many rapes go unreported because of the shame involved, and that programs to rehabilitate sexual offenders are not effective. I currently donate $500 from each of my real estate closings to the WRRC and wish it were more effective.

What happened to Brooke Bennett is horrible and my heart goes out to the family. I hope that some good comes out of this by getting our state representatives to push for longer sentances for sexual offenders.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
A truly horrible incident which as this event shows can happen even in the most seemingly peaceful and otherwise safe and decent communities. The evil cannot be undone, but I am glad that it appears the continuing investigation and subsequent prosecution will occur under the federal jurisdiction due to the interstate link demonstrated thus far.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I feel so awful when I read stories like this one. I was driving with the radio on last evening when the Amber Alert was canceled. The report stated that the victim had been located. I remember saying a quiet prayer that she had been found alive, but knew that it wasn't likely. My deepest sympathies go out to her family.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM

The man deserves a life of torture. Killing a child is bad enough but luring her into a sex ring and then killing her deserves the worst punishment possible.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
The man deserves a life of torture. Killing a child is bad enough but luring her into a sex ring and then killing her deserves the worst punishment possible.
Vermont has been known to be lenient with criminals. Some of the judges should be replaced. It's a sad day when the criminal has more consideration and rights than the victim.

No one, especially an innocent child, deserves to have their life cut short at the hands of such despicable perversion and evil.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Vermont has been known to be lenient with criminals. Some of the judges should be replaced. It's a sad day when the criminal has more consideration and rights than the victim.

No one, especially an innocent child, deserves to have their life cut short at the hands of such despicable perversion and evil.
If I am not mistaken, he could be brought up on federal charges since he conspired to take her across state lines. If that is the case, he is eligible for the death penalty.

You are correct, Vermont is very lenient on criminals. Convicted felons seem to get light sentences for even the most heinous of crimes. This is one of the issues I have with the state I will soon be departing.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,169 times
In the immediate aftermath of incidents of this nature it is understandable that there are strong emotions. It is sad that it takes the shock of such incidents and the sordid details on how expansive the criminal acts are, but perhaps some good may come from this if we demand a more strict means in dealing with such offenders. Having worked in the justice system and knowing people here who do now it really is time we review and enact some serious changes on our approach and how we deal with such crimes, offenders, and especially their victims.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Unfortunately, criminals that are released early and then recommit a crime is not just a Vermont problem...this seems to occur throughout the country (I seem to recall several other high profile child abduction/murder cases where this was the same situation) and here in NY, seems every single day in the paper there is a crime committed by someone who either has a criminal history or was just released.

I guess it's a combination of strain on the prison/court system, lack of funds, and also prison time for first time offenders? I don't know enough about it to really make a statement one way or another, but hopefully this will be lesson learned for Vermont. Clearly, in NYC, history has proven that not to be the case. Either way, an innocent child is gone, and that is tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: