U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM

12 posts, read 110,228 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to the north county from Tn. Are people friendly? Is it hard to be accepted particularly coming from the south?
I am rather humble and congenial, not too reserved.
I like diversity and a progressive environment. What should I expect to encounter?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,556,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpelle View Post
Considering a move to the north county from Tn. Are people friendly? Is it hard to be accepted particularly coming from the south?
I like diversity and a progressive environment. What should I expect to encounter?
I think the people are friendly and reserved, but if you are looking for diversity, progressiveness and liberals, you are looking in the wrong place.

If you want libertarians/conservatives, guns and hunting, then you are looking in the right place,

Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM

3,419 posts, read 9,429,831 times
lilybeans is right on. Newport, a part of the Northeast Kingdom is the most conservative part of the state. Hunting, snowmobiling, fishing, etc are the way of life.
Diversity? Vermont is one of (if not the) whitest state in the union. If you are seeking economic diversity, you'll find it. The Burlington area is the most diverse and liberal area of the state.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 110,228 times
Default newport

I guess progressive is relative. Coming from one of the reddest of the red states, I appreciate some diversity of thinking mostly, even Libertarian qualifies in my book.

I have the impression that strangers are not especially welcomed, not to expect warm and fuzzy feelings.

Is that a fair statement. Also, what is the impact there if the big resort moves into the area. I think a ski resort (4 seasons) is planning to take over a mountain.

Is acreage available, 5-10 acres? Is housing affordable?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM

3,419 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Jay Peak and Burke Mountain are the two ski resorts in the area - Jay is closest to Newport.
Rural Vermonters are not overly social people, so I wouldnt expect the welcome wagon at your doorstep. If you get involved in your new community through church, school, etc., you'll meet people that way. Again, Vermonters are reserved and not overly social. That doesnt mean they (we) are not friendly.
What is affordable for housing to you? The northeast kingdom has some of the best real estate values in the state. Jobs are scarce though.
One of hte local newspapers is hte Caledonian Record out of St. Johnsbury. Check it out!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM

97 posts, read 366,917 times
I'm not of much help on the living portion of this but as a visitor, I can give some input. Vermont is about twenty minutes from where I live in New York. I ABSOLUTELY love it there. Everytime I have been there people have been sweet, accommodating, kind, helpful - but I also don't have a southern accent. I don't know many people from the North to dislike anyone from the South at all, actually. We have no reason not to like Southerners. I absolutely love Vermont. It's beautiful. It is a bit slow moving but it's amazing, really, it is at LEAST worth a visit. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 PM

367 posts, read 654,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpelle View Post
If you are looking for diversity, this is NOT the place for you as Vermont has about as much diversity as a KKK rally.

People are a bit on the stuffy side, so that could take some getting used to, especially coming from the south where people tend to be quite friendly.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM

862 posts, read 912,660 times
You could live 30 years in any small VT town/city and not make a single friend.
Unless youre young,good-looking and rich of course.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 AM

63 posts, read 234,231 times
Default Newport & the NEK

Having grown up in the NEK and lived in Newport I can tell you that It is a great area and YES!!! people are very friendly. I have had a flat tire on the side of the road and a couple "good ole boys" stopped and changed it for me and didn't ask for a dime. I was in an accident this past winter and totaled my vehicle and everyone!!! driving by on the highway stopped to help me. Newport is a very touristy area and people survive by being nice to the flatlanders because face it you are the ones with money. The biggest downside is jobs...as in there aren't any. My husband and I had to sell our home and move closer to the burlington area so we could have jobs but our hearts will always be in the NEK. Feel free to direct message me with any questions you might have about Newport. I'd love to help.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,796,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
You could live 30 years in any small VT town/city and not make a single friend.
Unless youre young,good-looking and rich of course.
Good heavens! Maybe you could live 30 years in any small VT town/city and not make a single friend, but this is not the Vermont I live in and does not reflect the experiences of the many friends and colleagues I've met here over the years, all of us spaning the spectra of young/old, good-looking/not-so-much, native/from-away, and rich/not.

If the experience you describe above was my Vermont experience, I'd have left, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont