Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 AM

367 posts, read 695,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Going to the dump is STILL a social event in my town LOL!
Until I moved to Vermont, I had been to a dump ONCE and that was in Northern Minnesota. I still don't get why it is such a big deal.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, this may spawn another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Because, we see people we know, but don't socialize with on a daily/weekly basis. Gotta catch up ya know

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM

104 posts, read 491,579 times
You know you're in Vermont when your car get stuck in the snow and you don't need any "tracks" for your tires because everyone stops by to help push the car.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM

231 posts, read 869,409 times
You own one of the following or have a close friend that does..

truck
snow mobile aka "sled" or "ski doo"
4 wheeler
chainsaw

wait theres more..

going to Burlington or Williston for a movie is considered a "night on the town".

going to see the local high school basketball team is a highlight of a winter evening.

you know how to make maple syrup (in your kitchen...not the fancy sugar houses the "flatlanders" come to see)

you go to the town clerk to get your tax bill, and they don't have to ask you for ID.

you or at least one family member volunteers for the local fire department or rescue squad.

you don't complain about cell phone coverage, you know where to get a signal..

Opening day of dear season is a holiday.

You took Hunters Safety Course when you were a kid.

parties in high school were in farmer X's field
with a HUGE bon fire....

...and the state police left you alone about it...

you remember when stores were closed on Sunday...

there was no lottery...

you could only buy one beer at a time at the bar...

bars closed at 1AM...

you know at least one garage that will inspect and sticker a "questionable" car...

you got to Thunder Road and enjoy it...

while you may disagree with our President, you don't feel the need to protest...

you take the day off from work to go to Town Meeting..unless you work for the state, then you already have it off...

you know the meaning of Bennington Battle Day...

you headed for Montreal and Canada when you turned 18

you know where to "obtain" a Christmas tree...

I am sure I can come up with more...

Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnFire View Post
You own one of the following or have a close friend that does..

truck
snow mobile aka "sled" or "ski doo"
4 wheeler
chainsaw

wait theres more..

going to Burlington or Williston for a movie is considered a "night on the town".

going to see the local high school basketball team is a highlight of a winter evening.

you know how to make maple syrup (in your kitchen...not the fancy sugar houses the "flatlanders" come to see)

you go to the town clerk to get your tax bill, and they don't have to ask you for ID.

you or at least one family member volunteers for the local fire department or rescue squad.

you don't complain about cell phone coverage, you know where to get a signal..

Opening day of dear season is a holiday.

You took Hunters Safety Course when you were a kid.

parties in high school were in farmer X's field
with a HUGE bon fire....

...and the state police left you alone about it...

you remember when stores were closed on Sunday...

there was no lottery...

you could only buy one beer at a time at the bar...

bars closed at 1AM...

you know at least one garage that will inspect and sticker a "questionable" car...

you got to Thunder Road and enjoy it...

while you may disagree with our President, you don't feel the need to protest...

you take the day off from work to go to Town Meeting..unless you work for the state, then you already have it off...

you know the meaning of Bennington Battle Day...

you headed for Montreal and Canada when you turned 18

you know where to "obtain" a Christmas tree...

I am sure I can come up with more...
Dang, living out of state now, I missed three.

You remember the following from past visits to the Burlington area:
Hannibal's
Harbor Hideaway
T-Bones
Lincoln Inn
Howard Johnsons
The Oasis
The Strong
Carbur's
Lums
Shakeys
The newfangled Tortilla Flats with exotic Mexican food
The rink at Mallets Bay
Woolworths on Church St.
The gas plant.
Trains on Pine St.
The Rutland running over the causeways to the Islands
The trolley tracks before they were paved over.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
You spend time in July starting to calculate BTU and cost rates on anything and everything that will burn because the first frost might very well be only 60 days away.
Nope...a Vermonter would be out cutting/splitting wood for the NEXT winter (not this coming one).

Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
You know you are from Vermont when you think creemies are actually good even though it's basically soft-serve that you can get in gas stations anywhere in the US.

Sorry, but I find this whole creemie thing mystifying. Here we are in a state with great food and famousy dairies, yet people like this stuff? I just don't get it

Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You know you are from Vermont when you think creemies are actually good even though it's basically soft-serve that you can get in gas stations anywhere in the US.

Sorry, but I find this whole creemie thing mystifying. Here we are in a state with great food and famousy dairies, yet people like this stuff? I just don't get it
Probably more of sentimental tradition from many folk's youth. For most people at least, their best memories are from places, events, and things while growing up. Just like I remember biking to the neighborhood Carvel back in NY dodging and outrunning bike thieves, but did that ice cream taste great back then.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Probably more of sentimental tradition from many folk's youth. For most people at least, their best memories are from places, events, and things while growing up. Just like I remember biking to the neighborhood Carvel back in NY dodging and outrunning bike thieves, but did that ice cream taste great back then.
Ah yes. Carvel's. Home of the cookiepuss. Or the flying saucer ice cream sandwich. Lollapaloozas. It tasted good, but you know what, it was pretty bad ice cream when I think about it.

I wanted to like creemies, I really did. We get them from Papa Nicks and those are ok. I really wanted to like the creemies at the creemie stand
in Bristol when I lived there because it looks so old and nostalgic. Tasteless! Nothing. My wife stopped asking me what flavors they had. She'd ask me what colors they had.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 358,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
10) You know the true meaning of "You can't get there from here".

9) You laugh when someone asks if there is a McDonalds in Montpelier.

8) You pronounce "Newport" "Newpaht".

7) You can get someone anywhere in the state without knowing the names of the streets.

6) When you call the "Sunday Morning Radio Flea Market" on WOKO from the barn while milking cows.

5) Seeing a moose just doesn't faze you anymore.

4) You know what a Frost Heave is.

3) It is a highway, not a flipping freeway!!!!!!!!

2) When you consider it odd to see a driveway that is actually paved.

And the number one way you know you are from Vermont is..............

You know the an animal not only by sight, but by the smell of its dung.
Hheehehe !! these are funny and I don't even live there!!! lol!!! Well I will be a outsider relocating hopefully if I can land a decent job that will pay enough to get me by. Microsoft certification will all I will be equipped with but I might haft to have too jobs cause I hear this state has such ahigh cost living! Well anyhow I had a good laugh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont