Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 AM

34,268 posts, read 18,649,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My that's a pretty broad brush you paint with. Not all NYers are liberals. I was brought up in a very conservative household, and was raised amongst many similar families.

True, but the vast majority of people form NYC and Boston are. I should have clarified by saying NYC and environs. You are not from NYC, probably upstate, right?

The same thing has happened in Colorado with the influx of people from CA. They leave because they want to escape the results of liberalism, then bring it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,968,285 times
I've often times thought about the liberal population of larger cities...I think a lot of it stems from how generally, younger people tend to be liberal while older folks are more conservative. Younger people flock to larger cities (Boston, NYC, San Fran, etc) and are more than willing to 'rough' it out, making less money and living in a cramped apartment, so they can enjoy big city living. Then when they get older, want to have a family or move into an apartment that's bigger than 500 square feet and cheaper than $2000, they start the exodus to outlying areas.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True, but the vast majority of people form NYC and Boston are. I should have clarified by saying NYC and environs. You are not from NYC, probably upstate, right?

The same thing has happened in Colorado with the influx of people from CA. They leave because they want to escape the results of liberalism, then bring it here.

You're going to laugh -- I was born in the Bronx, to parents who were born there, too. Dad was NYPD. My folks fled the Bronx for LI during the late 60's. The Bronx was taking a very bad turn at that time and wasn't a safe place to raise children.

Most Bronxites would head north - Westchester or upstate, my family went the other direction.

There are many conservative LIers, which shocks people. I don't know how familiar you are with LI -- the size, the communities, etc., but most of the working class, blue collar areas are very conservative. It's only where you start to see other poverty or wealth that you find liberals. I am in a very liberal area adjacent to a large university. I am the token conservative

I understand how some things (ideas, perceptions, beliefs, etc.) can migrate with people as they move about and I have tried not to bring the "this is how we do it on LI" thing to VT. You can see in some of my posts that I use the bad that has occurred on LI as an example as to why I might not think something being presented in VT is a good idea. It is a good idea to learn from other's mistakes, before entering into the same sort of mistake.

As for folks from Boston -- I can't speak for them, so I can only accept the fact that the city is a little more liberal leaning (with a few nuts like me to bring about some balance )

Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,862,745 times
Ha, ha. I guess I am not surprised about the misconceptions surrounding former NY'ers, NYC and downstate that is. Yes folks, liberals did not populate the entire five boroughs and Long Island throughout eternity. Like I have said before, there are far more ex-NYers spread out across the country than what the population is now, and no they all didn't bring liberal baggage with them when they resettled in their new communities.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM

697 posts, read 2,017,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Are you bing flip, Lilybeans, or are you serious?

I could be wrong, but I don't think people in Brattleboro tend to be armed. In more rural areas upstate, maybe.

Anyway, this avoids the questions posed in the original post. Why is Vermont so lenient with dangerous criminals? Where are the judges coming from?
I would worry more about the Brattleboro and Rutland areas concerning guns than I would ever about the north. Two completely different areas, carrying guns for two completely different reasons.

As far as leniency, it's scary that the rest of the country looks at us as way too easy on criminals. Who knows what the reason is.

When a man can sexually abuse a child for a number of years, and not go to prison for the rest of his life, instead get 'treatment', something is very wrong.

When police railroad someone on murder charges and KNOW it's someone else, and STILL pursue the innocent because they don't want to admit they made a mistake, something is very wrong.

When campus police pull innocent people over and give written warnings for invented infractions for the sole purpose of practice for the rookies, something is very wrong.

It starts at the police level and goes all the way up to the judges. Vermont is well known for leniency of criminals.

As far as your safety; you're probably safer here than most other places. When you hear bad things that happen, you hear the bad things from the entire state. That's a relatively low crime rate compared to almost anyplace else. If you live in most other places, the bulk of what you hear is local. We don't have enough happening locally, so news is usually statewide.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,053,862 times
Quote:
My friend is a CHP and misses the NE. We spoke of the VSP and he would come here in a heartbeat. He has dealt with all the gangs and drugs in CA, the murder of his partner, etc. but Vermont does not take lateral transfers.

I would wager that there are enough LEOs from other states who would take the job in VT in an instant, eliminating the need for rookie training. The cost would be reduced to training in VT's law and handling procedures.

Bringing in trained officers from other states, particularly officers who have had specialized training in gangs, trafficking, terrorism, etc., would be a bonus for the people of the State of Vermont.

VT is a small statei if they accepted laterals how would the sons,nephews etc of VT LEo's get the jobs? This is not meant as a witticism or criticism-only natural to take care of your own. Much of hiring all over VT,not just
LE is done by phone calls between people who know each other -my son for your niece.I have been wittness to it myself.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Many of the monied people moving to VT are center-right. Many -esp. among the ski-set are apolitical.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,767,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
VT is a small statei if they accepted laterals how would the sons,nephews etc of VT LEo's get the jobs? This is not meant as a witticism or criticism-only natural to take care of your own. Much of hiring all over VT,not just
LE is done by phone calls between people who know each other -my son for your niece.I have been wittness to it myself.
I understand what you've written. However it appears that fewer and fewer of the state's residents are entering LE, recruiting is low and nepotism just ain't what it used to be or the positions would be filled.

Opening up laterals for say, 1 year, might fill a few vacancies while the state tries to repackage the job into something more palatable to entice new hires within the state. People have posted links about the state getting older, young people leaving. Something has to be done to keep them here.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

894 posts, read 1,562,205 times
Quote:
Opening up laterals for say, 1 year, might fill a few vacancies while the state tries to repackage the job into something more palatable to entice new hires within the state. People have posted links about the state getting older, young people leaving. Something has to be done to keep them here.
I don't have a problem spending money on law enforcement but More or better LE jobs is not the answer to the state's demographic problems. VT can't afford to spend more without cutting a lot, and cutting is off the table. In theory it's easy to keep young people here, just let stuff get built. As long as VT remains anti business and high tax the state will continue to die. Worse for VT is that the high utility people are the first to leave which lowers tax revenue and leaves space for more consumers of public services.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I understand what you've written. However it appears that fewer and fewer of the state's residents are entering LE, recruiting is low and nepotism just ain't what it used to be or the positions would be filled.

Best thing to do for VT is get a natural gas pipline from Capital Districk
via Bennington,Manchester,Rutland, Barre,M]plier over to Chittenden.
No branches to ski-areas though -maybe they'll leave-LOL

Pres.Pallin probaly put kibosh on it as earmark though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont