Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times

Advertisements

Let's face it. At least half of our last six or so years of foliage have been subpar. I can't be sure of the years, but a few years ago we had one season that had virtually no foliage. So much rain that leaves turned yellow, brown and fell off. Last year was a late starter and the southern half of New England had a subpar year because the rain knocked the leaves off before they turned colors (although the Champlain Valley had a glorious foliage).
Anyway, last week I hiked up the Pinnacle at Stowe. On the ground I saw literally thousands of gorgeous red, yellow, and orange leaves on the ground. Bright. Really Bright. The flaming red and oranges you only see during the best foliage years. Where did they come from? I don't know. I looked directly above them and saw only green leaves. So I'm hopeful. Hoping for glorious reds and oranges. Is there a better place to live in New England from late September until November. I have a new digital camera and will be posting lots of pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I love fall!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Just got back this evening from a five day hike on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail from Bromley Mountain to Rte 9 in Bennington and the colors are just starting at elevations above 2500 feet. Yes, lots of green leaves are down from the prior wind storms, but this past week had exceptionally great weather with warm days and cool nights. This should help produce a nice color transition in the next week or two.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
That hike sounds like something I could really go for - hope it was a good one! Right now there are plenty of reds, yellows and oranges in the NEK. We had a hard frost a few nights back and things have really taken off in the last two days. I spent the entire day outside yesterday and I'd swear that I could actually see the colors brightening as the hours passed. I think we'll be at peak later this week.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
That hike sounds like something I could really go for - hope it was a good one! Right now there are plenty of reds, yellows and oranges in the NEK. We had a hard frost a few nights back and things have really taken off in the last two days. I spent the entire day outside yesterday and I'd swear that I could actually see the colors brightening as the hours passed. I think we'll be at peak later this week.
I've been wrong before, but the colors that are just beginning to pop look exceptionally bright. I was walking my dogs behind the High School in Hinesburg yesterday. It's still 99 percent green, but the colors I did see looked exceptionally bright for the very beginning of foliage. One frost should do the trick. I'm sensing a great one. Earlier foliages are often better because if the leaves take too long to turn, they're often knocked off from rain before the grand splendour.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
I think you're right about the exceptionally bright early colors, quickdraw. Around sunset this evening I was passing through a swampy area of Lake Memphremagog's south bay and the reds were utterly gorgeous. The forecast calls for clear skies this week too if anyone is planning to be up this way.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:36 AM

646 posts, read 2,667,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Just got back this evening from a five day hike on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail from Bromley Mountain to Rte 9 in Bennington and the colors are just starting at elevations above 2500 feet. Yes, lots of green leaves are down from the prior wind storms, but this past week had exceptionally great weather with warm days and cool nights. This should help produce a nice color transition in the next week or two.
This sounds great ,I've done Mt.Katadin and done Greylock .If you don't mind how long did it take you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont