Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM

68 posts, read 331,059 times

Advertisements

I dont know whether to move out west or to vermont... which towns are the nicest and get the most snow? average snowfall per year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
The state highway map has a list of the prettiest towns in Vermont. Woodstock used to have, maybe they still do, a sign that said it was the "prettiest town in Vermont".

Jay has the most snow on average in Vermont. The ski resort near Jay averages 300" per winter. Knowing how to speak french is helpful. The west gets more snow on average than Vermont.

from the movie Baby Boom -
tourist in Vermont general store to husband: "this store is so cute"
husband: "honey, the whole state is cute"

Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,592 times
Woodstock is a pricey place to live....but there may be towns on the outskirts that would suffice. Bridgewater possibly...I have no idea what part of the state gets the most snow..but the higher the elevation the possibility increases. Ludlow would be another area to consider. If you live anywhere in VT, you will be rewarded with a snowy winter.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Defining the "prettiest" town is subjective. It's all what you yourself deem to be aspects that make a town pretty. Myself, I like to see the traditional towns with a village center, historic and maintained buildings, surrounded by a nice blend of countryside of farms and forest. The geography, namely hills, leading up to higher peaks also falls into my aesthetic preference. With this in mind, virtually every part of the state has such towns. Some have seen better days, but it is unique to explore off the beaten path to find hidden treasures. The more popular resort towns still have authentic vestiges of the their past pre tourist history, but quite a bit is fabricated to achieve and promote a certain image. Nothing wrong with this, but it's just the way it is. As far as snow amounts, it's proportional with the elevation of the town. Towns with highland exposures alongside the Green Mountain range receive more snow. I live in virtually the highest elevation of town and when I get 3 to 6 inches snow it's not uncommon that the town center is devoid of snow and we are only talking a traveling distance of 4 to 5 miles.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 PM

72 posts, read 213,763 times
everywhere in vt is better looking then tinton falls.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:36 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstinks0622 View Post
I dont know whether to move out west or to vermont... which towns are the nicest and get the most snow? average snowfall per year?

Ohh my goodness...please don't make the Mistake and move out West...... Move to Vermont!!!!!!!! trust me Vermont is the Most Beautiful State in the US....and it gets Tons Of Snow..... You'll Love it

Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
A town well up in the mountains will have more snow and for more of the year. Here in Rutland on Thanksgiving there was really no snow on the ground. Went hunting in the green mountains, about 20 minutes away and well up in elevation after a lengthy hike...plenty of snow up there, perhaps not deep yet but covering things...just to illustrate my point. Mountains, not valleys, for snow...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
St. J?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont