Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times

Advertisements

Vermont has high expenses, limited infrastructure, and a long cold winter. Hence, there will be no mass influx here of people fearing a doomsday scenario in the more populated urban zones of the east coast. If anything, a surge if it happens will push south and west. Of course for the select few who can get good work here and afford homes, now might as well as good as any time to move. Can't speak for the rest of the state, but according to our media here in Chittenden County sales of homes has dropped from the previous years, but the prices have actually gone up. I was kind of surprised to see this and especially the increase from 2005 which by many was considered the top of the curve in terms of cost and volume. Looking in the various real estate listings trying to look at comps to my own I do see that the asking prices have gone up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,109,933 times
My husband and I seem like we are forever 'relocating' and Vermont was the last place I would I have chosen, thus fulfilling our original prophesy of 'we will wind up in the last place we ever thought of..'

I'm a 'native of downstate NY' but have gone to college in 'mid NY' and lived in PA, and the UK, and traveled a lot all over the Northeast (the only place I wanted to really live in the USA at this point).

We spent our first year in Vermont living in a highly transient 'vacation' community where most people owned a home in Boston or some other city and 'vacationed' in VT.

That place was 'nice to live in' for awhile but I like where we are now (more working class, regular folks) better.

Vermont is an interesting place, but I am only on the edges of it (we live a hop and a skip from Lebanon, NH).

We didn't move here for the fantastic job opportunities, I can tell you that. After a year and a half (almost) I have yet (with a very good resume) found a full time job.

The pay is horrible here in VT. The competition for jobs is just as bad as in NY because any good job seems to be seized upon by 'everyone' looking to get a bit more pay.

Real estate is high because (I guess) you get a lot of out of state money coming in, with people looking for a second home or investment property.

The verdict of whether this is 'the place' for us is not in yet. I would hate to move my son from school (he's doing okay) but I just don't see this as the big place to live in the USA.

Most people could not live the hardscrabble life of northern New England and survive very long. And don't delude yourself that living outside a metro area means you sit on your duff at work saying "Aye Up" (unless maybe if you are self employed). People work very, very hard here, even for that 'crap pay.'

Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,476 times
I understand your frustration with Florida, but Vermont isn't this isolated island of opportunity. We are going through many of the tough times the rest of the country is going through. The budget cuts are not in the billions of dollars, but it is in the millions which for a state of it's size is a sizable number. We have a very small infrastructure and some of the worst bridges and roadways in the country(mostly due to the climate). A large cut is the last thing we need right now. The state government knows we can't take a big cut right now and that is why they are figuring out what taxes will be increased to compensate for the loss.
I was shocked as well when I saw how the price of homes has continued to go up. In South Burlington the average home is over 300,000. The number of sales as mentioned has dropped significantly, but people who are selling are not willing to lose a penny.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,109,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I understand your frustration with Florida, but Vermont isn't this isolated island of opportunity. We are going through many of the tough times the rest of the country is going through. The budget cuts are not in the billions of dollars, but it is in the millions which for a state of it's size is a sizable number. We have a very small infrastructure and some of the worst bridges and roadways in the country(mostly due to the climate). A large cut is the last thing we need right now. The state government knows we can't take a big cut right now and that is why they are figuring out what taxes will be increased to compensate for the loss.
I was shocked as well when I saw how the price of homes has continued to go up. In South Burlington the average home is over 300,000. The number of sales as mentioned has dropped significantly, but people who are selling are not willing to lose a penny.
I see that here (Upper Valley) with home prices. You would be shocked at how awful some of these places are yet they stay stuck on prices! The place we were going to buy (yet fell through thanks to the mortgage mess in August) is still going at the full price (not our asking price). Sitting there...so how 'desperate' were these people anyhow? (not very)

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM

894 posts, read 1,564,821 times
Anybody increasing their asking price in the Upper Valley is clueless- Unless, possibly but unlikely they have something truly unique and not just 'VT cute.' We listed at what we paid three years ago(189k) not a single viewing. Reduced the price by 25k a couple of weeks ago still nothing.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
The issue with credit, the economy in general, and the prices for homes in general have removed many prospective buyers from the game. Seems like many who want to sell now have to just hunker down and wait it out or slash their asking price which may mean walking away with a loss. Seems like in my area folks who are planning on selling and relocating have the luxury to just wait it out, hence, no price slashing. I know I can wait for several more years if need be as my job in all probability is secure and I will away out of the country for a year anyway during this economic mess.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,906,116 times
Went to Vermont a few years ago, it was a dream. I've also seen Rhode Island, Conn, New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, but Vermont was idyllic.

There's a twilight zone episode, "A stop at willoughby" about a stressed out executive, he dreams about escaping from his pressure filled job by going back to this old peaceful town in the late 1800's....sounds like Vermont.

In contrast to California, it was like another reality.

-No graffiti

-No low riders

-No constant brand stimulation/media stimulation.

-They limit big box stores (quite a shock if you live in orange county for example).

It was amazing. I'm sort of suprised there's still a state left like Vermont. I can see Alaska still retaining much of it's natural beatuy because it's so isolated. Or a state like Montana, in the middle of nowhere. But Vermont isnt that far from Montreal, New York, Mass. You're isolated, but you're not that isolated. Vermont is a gorgeous state, you should see it once in your life.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 9,160 times
I've lived in Vermont for most of my life (38 years) and I want to get out of here! Companies are shutting down. IBM is rumored to be laying off another round, huge numbers, of workers in early 2009. Taxes are very high. Schools aren't as great as they could be.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM

416 posts, read 1,636,903 times
it is easy for alot of people to idealise vermont. we recently moved from vermont...we were doing exactly that...living of grid on a mountain top, isolated off a class 4 road. i loved it. it was heaven. lots of snow...lots and lots of snow. but here it is. unless you have money or come from money...it is hard to find work there. jobs do not pay enough. locals cannot keep up with the out of staters raising property costs. there is alot of poverty in vt alot of people do not realize. we tried as hard as we could to stay...but bottom line is there is such a tough local economy. more so then people think. people see this happy green crunchy quaint peaceful woodsy state...which it is. but you really need to think how you will make a living there. it is not as easy to just go escape to a mountain top unless you are rich. as nice as it sounds, it is harder then you think finacially speaking. there simply are no jobs for people. the locals are struggling. it makes me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont