Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 176,695 times

Advertisements

OK everyone I need a realistic answer to how much it is to heat a three/four bedroom home around 1000-2000 square footage. I have seen some posts that say it can get up to $4000.00 for the winter season to heat and others who say it is never that much. I know it will depend some on how well insulated you are, how high you set the temp, and how well you conserve. So what is the average for that size house if you do everything you are supposed to do to cut the bill down? I am trying to find out the budget for the bills How much would electric run a month? Thanks for any help you have. I am so excited about our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Our 2000 sq foot house with 3-4 BR (4th BR is tiny) & 3 BA cost $2500 to heat for the 2007-8 winter. That includes filling for our oil tank for the furnace (which also heats our hot water) and burning 4.75 tons of wood pellets.

This year (2008-9) we plan to burn more pellets and use less oil. Depending on the winter and the price of oil (which we just refilled at $2.63/gal), we should pay a bit less than $2500 to heat our home & hot water this year.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Heating and power use is relative to size, quality of construction, and personal preferences. Over the past few years energy costs have been quite varied. For comparison purposes I have a 2500 sq ft home (of which 750 sq ft is a quasi BR/office above the garage which we heat less) and I average 750 to 780 gallons of oil per year. Three years ago at $2.30 gallon = $1760, this year at $4.45 (pre-buy) = $3404. We keep the thermostat between 60 and 65 degrees. Of course other options exist, but even with wood and pellets the prices have also gone up. As far as electricity, I use an average of 700 kwh per month and at the current rate of .17 p/kwh = $119 p/mo. Of course we use electricity to heat water which accounts for about a third of power used. The larger the family with more laundry and showers the more energy you will use. It should be kept in mind that within the next few years Vt may see a hefty spike in electric rates, estimates ranging from 30% to 60% more.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Three years ago at $2.30 gallon = $1760, this year at $4.45 (pre-buy) = $3404.
Sorry to hear about the pre-buy Flu.

You saved me having to do math for the new figure since you totaled the $2.30 cost. I just got off the phone with Robinson's heating in Essex and the price is $2.29.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yclapp View Post
OK everyone I need a realistic answer to how much it is to heat a three/four bedroom home around 1000-2000 square footage. I have seen some posts that say it can get up to $4000.00 for the winter season to heat and others who say it is never that much. I know it will depend some on how well insulated you are, how high you set the temp, and how well you conserve. So what is the average for that size house if you do everything you are supposed to do to cut the bill down? I am trying to find out the budget for the bills How much would electric run a month? Thanks for any help you have. I am so excited about our move.
I have a 1000 sq ft cabin. I keep the temperature at 62 during the night and when we're at work. About 70 other times. My cost, assuming oil is around $2.50, has been about $1200 to $1300 a year.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 AM

51 posts, read 176,695 times
Smile oil/heating cost...

is that total for the whole year or just your winter season month, which are what months roughly? Do the fuel companies bill by month? When we lived in a mobile home and used propane we paid as we filled the tank. Back then we could fill it for $125. Of course this was a small tank for a 10x55, roughly, foot mobile home. I am looking into apartments that pay or include the heat in with the rent as well. I don't want to move there and have to work two jobs just so we can have heat. Are there any nice yet inexpensive apartments in the St. Johnsbury area that include heat and maybe other bills into the rent? If I have to move to Burlington first for job/housing reasons til I can get a better view of what is there I will, I don't want to, but I will if I have to. Thanks for the info everyone. It helps a lot. Especially when some of the issues I haven't had to deal with either ever or in a few years. I appreciate it so much.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yclapp View Post
is that total for the whole year or just your winter season month, which are what months roughly? Do the fuel companies bill by month? When we lived in a mobile home and used propane we paid as we filled the tank. Back then we could fill it for $125. Of course this was a small tank for a 10x55, roughly, foot mobile home. I am looking into apartments that pay or include the heat in with the rent as well. I don't want to move there and have to work two jobs just so we can have heat. Are there any nice yet inexpensive apartments in the St. Johnsbury area that include heat and maybe other bills into the rent? If I have to move to Burlington first for job/housing reasons til I can get a better view of what is there I will, I don't want to, but I will if I have to. Thanks for the info everyone. It helps a lot. Especially when some of the issues I haven't had to deal with either ever or in a few years. I appreciate it so much.
That is for sepetember through the beginning of May, that's the only time we use oil. Fuel companies will pay let you pay by the month if you sign a yearly contract. Our electric bill is quite high to run the fan in the furnace during the winter, although I'm not sure exactly how expensive.

You're going to find that life in Vermont is a lot more expesive than in FL. Everything we own; cars, houses, tires, roofs, drivways...just take a beating due to the weather.

It's worth it. but a lot of people run back to where they came from with their tails between their legs. Good luck>

Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM

104 posts, read 491,455 times
My house is 1400 sq ft... very old so it's not energy efficient. The question should be how many gallons of heating oil do I use, the cost just change every year. I use 800 gallons to heat my house. Last year it cost me $2200. for the winter, however this year I "locked' my rate to 3.83/gallon, I wish I hadn't. So, the cost will be a little over 3,000. My friend uses 800 gallons but she pre-bought at 4.99/gallon OUCH! that is almost $4,000.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM

104 posts, read 491,455 times
I forgot to answer the "heating season" for me it's mid November to April. I keep my house at 62F all the time.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Finding an apartment with heat included in the rent might be tough. I can't imagine any landlord with today's energy prices willing to take that risk. However, if the structure is not zoned for individual tenant heating then I would assume the rent would be quite high or some how via lease subject to adjustment depending upon how much fuel is used. As for homes that are not efficient and consume high amounts of fuel there always is the option to remodel and add insulation. Talking my to my oil burner tech this season he had numerous examples of such homes, but the owners could not afford the outlay to remodel. I guess you would have to do the math and see what your sitution is. If your spending an extra $1K on fuel per season and the cost to remodel would be 15, 20K or more then it might be better to wait rather than get into loan scenarios. As mentioned before, the heating seaon here runs Sept through May, but Nov through Mar are the real cold months. On the flip side, we at least find that air conditioning is not necessary as there are very few hot spells. The pre buy situation really has slammed those who took advantage of it this season. There was absolutely no indication that prices could drop so fast and so much, but the season has quite awhile to go and volatility could shoot those prices up again. I am glad for those on tight budgets who are saving now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont