U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Vermont, pros and cons of living in Vermont, overcoming cold feet when moving, seeking advice about moving out of state

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,724,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
In that part of PA outsiders were NOT welcomed. People viewed everyone suspiciously and they liked to toss off the "N" word a lot!
My experience of Vermont is much as you describe. Still, something left me shaken that I want to share, lest we overestimate the level of social evolution here:

Just after the Presidential election, I went to a locally-owned store I frequent. The owner was looking uncomfortable. Since I know her, I asked what was going on. She said that just before I came in, a customer who had been in the store had "joked" loudly: "There'll sure be a lot of fried chicken in the White House soon!"

I understood the store-owner's discomfort. This base level of racist stereotyping is not at all what I've come to expect around here. Yet it persists, even in public, at a "nicer" shop, among people "who should know better."

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 01-20-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,553,287 times
Ha, ha, people being concerned about people from NY, well, can you really blame them being a bit suspicious? I say this as a NYer and even I am a bit more apt to be a bit more cautious and please current NYers or ex-pats don't jump me for this because actually some of the best and most honest people I have known in my life where born and bred NYC stock. Anyway, yes Vermont has a unique blend of people, but be forewarned that unless you are sitting in a Stowe (or insert other upscale locale of choice) eatery sipping expensive beverages you will meet people all over who don't live up to the uber progressive and educated model. I have heard the so called "N" word frequently enough up here and personally know people who think IKEA is a brand of dirt bike. I am in no way trying to disparage anyone, but as someone who likes to extensively check places and people out off the interstate and past the artsy and cute facades there is a very large segment of the population here who does not fit the model and brand that Vermont conjures up to visitors and even many locals alike. Again, these people are great for the most part in their own way, but as far as being enlightened and knowledgeable, well that may not be the case in topics and affairs which may appeal to you. As far as central PA goes, I knew a few folks in my time in the service from that area and actually they were quite open and friendly, but do remember their concerns concerning negative effects emerging from the metro areas of the region, hence this could be the suspicious nature some perceive. Trust me we have here in Vt as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,566,183 times
Maybe my experience is a bit different as I live near Dartmouth and the Upper Valley. We have a lot of educated people here, many from all over. Perhaps deep in the heart of VT there are hicks and rubes.

I've seen plenty not too far outside NYC...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Maybe my experience is a bit different as I live near Dartmouth and the Upper Valley. We have a lot of educated people here, many from all over. Perhaps deep in the heart of VT there are hicks and rubes.

I've seen plenty not too far outside NYC...

True! Rutland City isn't exactly Dartmouth/Upper Valley, but it is an actual city with plenty of educated people and transplants. We don't see a lot of hick/rube behavior here, especially in the kind of shop I was in. (I know it's here; we just don't see it a lot because there are so many here who don't behave that way.)

Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Sheryl,
I have had NYers make rude comments like that about our future president. Long Islanders are very racist and segregated and I know a lot of people who were very disappointed Obama won and not McCain.

I think it sickening, really.

What is wrong with people?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Sheryl,
I have had NYers make rude comments like that about our future president. Long Islanders are very racist and segregated and I know a lot of people who were very disappointed Obama won and not McCain.

I agree. I think it's fine to support a candidate and oppose another candidate, even passionately!

However, it's completely unacceptable, IMO, to make racist remarks for any reason, whether the remarks are meant for anyone belonging to a certain race or for a particular member of a race including public figures.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM

50 posts, read 126,177 times
I think you find that where ever you go. Where we live if you weren't brought here when the place was settled you are not a local. My husband's family has been here forever so that's why I was sort of accepted but until 2 yrs ago I never had a real friend and I've lived here 31 years! I knew people but didn't have a good friend.

In this area deer hunting is like a national holiday, they close everything so people can hunt. What people say to you when you see them out is "Did you get your buck yet?" They look at us like we're insane when we say we don't hunt. Our 31 acres are a place the deer can go to be safe.

If you aren't born here, white and methodist you sort of don't really fit in. Outsiders are not welcome with open arms. Since I don't need many people around me I don't really care. The racist remarks are always flying and that shocks me since where I grew up everyone was just treated as a person and people I knew never looked at color. Parts of Burlington sort of reminds me of that but maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes it comes back to bite you though. A family member of my husband's always had something to say, his son is now engaged to a girl of color. She's a beautiful, sweet and nice girl. They love her. They had to give her a chance or loose their son, I'm actually proud of him that he did give her a chance and thinks she's the greatest now. He also always hated cats and now has one in his house and it sleeps in their bed with them. I tell him he's mellowing in his old age.

Anyway I think you meet with things like that no matter where you are, no matter what state you are in. It's very sad but true. I remember years ago alot of guys where my father worked were transferred to the IBM in Burlington, they hated it and transferred back. They were never accepted and were made to feel very unwelcome especially the ones who were greek or black so they went back home. That still hasn't stopped me from wanting to go there since as long as I have my husband, my parents and my animals I don't need alot of people in my life. We do have friends in VT though so I'm sure if we lived there they would remain our friends.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfallslover View Post
They had to give her a chance or loose their son, I'm actually proud of him that he did give her a chance and thinks she's the greatest now. He also always hated cats and now has one in his house and it sleeps in their bed with them. I tell him he's mellowing in his old age.
Welcoming interracial family and accepting a feline family member? That's more than mellowing -- that's personal evolution!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfallslover View Post

In this area deer hunting is like a national holiday, they close everything so people can hunt. What people say to you when you see them out is "Did you get your buck yet?" They look at us like we're insane when we say we don't hunt. .
Oh YEAH, another weird thing (to me) about rural PA...kids had off for hunting season...

Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,553,287 times
Quote:
Sheryl,

With all due respect, the whole concept of a democracy is the freedom to disagree so that does not mean there is something wrong with people if they do not follow your persuasion of choice. Regarding our now current president, I sincerely do hope that things work out because our collective fate as a nation depends on it, but I find it very creepy the almost virtual fanatical cult like fascination and expectations which are being bestowed. It's also important to acknowledge the fact that our new president was not elected by some super majority and that those that felt to vote opposite are somehow defective and racists. We need to get grounded and realize that the euphoria and high that is being experienced will meet reality. I can appreciate the party like atmosphere, but also know that when the hangover is gone and the bottles are at the dump our situation will back where we started. Regarding the aspect of the race card, I have never fallen into that trap, but it is really frustrating to to see it played in such a way now that if you don't support the current change in leadership then by default racism must be a factor. Ultimately time will tell what the outcome will be and I really do hope that we will not in years from now feel that we have been duped by a superb marketing and salesmanship rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont