U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Vermont, pros and cons of living in Vermont, overcoming cold feet when moving, seeking advice about moving out of state

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,559,875 times

Advertisements

Actually, Flu, what I meant was people saying 'N**ger' this and that is sickening. People have the right to vote for whoever they want and we should respect them.

I think people were fed up with things the last four years (maybe 8) and just want a new start. Let them enjoy this moment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 PM

3,401 posts, read 9,249,468 times
Guys...just a reminder that this thread is about someone wishing to move to Vermont, not about our new president and the recent election, so lets try and keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,559,875 times
Sorry Vter...

Okay, back on topic...
Like all states, there is good and bad. The rough parts (to me) seem to be the winters (long, cold) and I agree with Flu, a lot of your monies tend to get eaten up by various expenses.

I suppose my advice to people who want to move would be 'try it' if you really want to, but keep your options open.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM

159 posts, read 366,760 times
I was born, raised and lived in Vermont for over fifty years, now I live near the coast in Maine. It's interesting reading the difference in the thoughts of people who live in vermont and those that want to. As some have pointed out a lot of it has to do with the old adage that the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but until you've actually lived the experience you never know what it's really like. If you love solitude and outdoor activities then Vermont might be for you. It's a very rural state that offers little that the more populated areas do. Jobs are everything else are few and far between and the pay is less and taxes are high and things aren't going to change soon. Vermont is turning into a third world nation where there are usually just two classes, the filthy rich and the dirt poor, the average citizen works hard to suppport his family and the state. The winters last six months so heating your house is expensive and maintenance cost are high but after all that I've said whenever I go home to visit family I always think the Vermont countryside is beautiful...but I'll never live there again.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM

682 posts, read 952,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
With all due respect, the whole concept of a democracy is the freedom to disagree so that does not mean there is something wrong with people if they do not follow your persuasion of choice. Regarding our now current president, I sincerely do hope that things work out because our collective fate as a nation depends on it, but I find it very creepy the almost virtual fanatical cult like fascination and expectations which are being bestowed. It's also important to acknowledge the fact that our new president was not elected by some super majority and that those that felt to vote opposite are somehow defective and racists. We need to get grounded and realize that the euphoria and high that is being experienced will meet reality. I can appreciate the party like atmosphere, but also know that when the hangover is gone and the bottles are at the dump our situation will back where we started. Regarding the aspect of the race card, I have never fallen into that trap, but it is really frustrating to to see it played in such a way now that if you don't support the current change in leadership then by default racism must be a factor. Ultimately time will tell what the outcome will be and I really do hope that we will not in years from now feel that we have been duped by a superb marketing and salesmanship rhetoric.
Flu, how do you read my mind and put it into words?! Please stay in VT and run for Governor. What is perceived as racism is actually majority political choice. The majority of Long Islanders are conservative republicans. Most VTers are liberal democrats. If you think like a liberal, you will enjoy living in VT.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,552,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Flu, how do you read my mind and put it into words?! Please stay in VT and run for Governor. What is perceived as racism is actually majority political choice. The majority of Long Islanders are conservative republicans. Most VTers are liberal democrats. If you think like a liberal, you will enjoy living in VT.
Ha, ha, I could never govern a state such as this, but thank you for the endorsement. I do think that the analysis of LI may have been true more so 30 to 40 years ago, at least it seemed that way back then when I was in the area. As far as Vt goes it has definately transitioned 180 degrees in the past several decades. Time will tell what this will portends for the future, howver I am afraid based on actuarial tables I will never see the shift here back towards even the center and statistically I should live another three decades and some some change. Actually, I have no real emotional problem with the state trending the way it is as I know that I don't have established roots here and plan on moving away in the next few years. It may very well be a benefit to promote our political agenda as it will result in interest for folks to come here and the money spent to eventually buy my house is green, not blue or red.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,822,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are VERY few people that I think would love living in Vermont, since most don't understand the downsides.
There should be some kind of mandatory IQ test before folks are allowed to post here.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM

19,704 posts, read 59,615,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
There should be some kind of mandatory IQ test before folks are allowed to post here.
Huh? Where did THAT come from?

I don't like to talk about it, but if you really must know, mine is somewhere in the 130 range. I understand it tends to increase with age, but that was what it was in my early twenties. Back when I thought stuff like that mattered or was accurate, I scored in the top 2% nationwide in the PSAT and SAT tests, and had my choice of college acceptances, all this from a country hick boy that grew up in the backwaters of the Winooski Valley and was educated in a school with real slate chalkboards and fifty year old desks - complete with inkwell holes, more carvings than a craft show, and the gum of generations on the undersides. I looked into joining mensa, but didn't like the attitude.

Soon after I earned those scores, I was finding flaws in the logic of some of the "intelligence" test questions, and learning that IQ was not a consistent indicator of many of the things I value, such as common sense, independent thinking, and basic concern for others, much less a valid quantification of the skills in subjects it purported to examine. Unless someone holds "IQ" up as some sort of qualifier, I try to ignore it.

Back when I grew up in Vermont, there was a respect for intelligence, but there was an even greater respect for hard work and community minded activity. That is why I felt pabear could fit into Vermont and be successful. If you read through his original post, his concern for family, reserved consideration of options, and basic traditional Vermonter attitude shows through his choice of words.

Perhaps, in light of this new information, you would like to explain to me and the class your comment about IQs?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,822,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Perhaps, in light of this new information, you would like to explain to me and the class your comment about IQs?
'There are VERY few people that I think would love living in Vermont'- do I really need to explain?

And it's 'who" I think.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM

19,704 posts, read 59,615,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
'There are VERY few people that I think would love living in Vermont'- do I really need to explain?

And it's 'who" I think.
You don't need to explain anything. You are taking exception to an implication that you generated within your own mind, an implication that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I grew up in Vermont. I saw a lot of people come and go. There were certain traits that I saw in people that loved the state and the natives. Loving the state is entirely different than being able to exist in it. I just enumerated a couple of those traits in my previous post. Folks that* have strong family ties and are not overly gregarious do better than social butterflies. Folks that* do not understand the wage structure do not do well. Folks that* need lots of heat don't do well. The list goes on.

*I often use "that" to introduce a relative clause instead of "who" and "whom." This is an idiosyncratic rebellion against one of the sillier aspects of the language; as "who" in the same usage can be not only singular or plural, but refer to animals and inanimate objects. "The dog who bit me." "The sources of information who chilled me." As a word, "who" generally brings nothing to the nuance of the sentence for me, and slows the flow of my thoughts, just as the masculine and feminine in French do. I also use other idiosyncratic words and phrases to differentiate my writing. That isn't to say that I have perfect grammar, merely that I generally know what I am writing and how to write to have a desired effect. I might not be quick on the draw, but I aim pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont