U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 22,534 times

Advertisements

Were looking for some good wildlife viewing opportunities in VT, without going all the way to the Canadian border. Any recommendations? We ultimately are looking to buy a property in a wildlife rich area. Where we can see moose and bear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM

32 posts, read 91,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanggirl24 View Post
Were looking for some good wildlife viewing opportunities in VT, without going all the way to the Canadian border. Any recommendations? We ultimately are looking to buy a property in a wildlife rich area. Where we can see moose and bear.
Not sure if you are aware of this but the bears are hibernating this time of year.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM

231 posts, read 831,287 times
anywhere in the state. But, for moose.....try the Northeast kingdom. Be advised though...few jobs...long distances to anything, very small towns..

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 22,534 times
I know they are hibernating now :-) We were looking for some specific areas for a second home.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM

104 posts, read 468,803 times
if you scroll down on this page: see Vermont Fish & Wildlife ; you can click on many areas and read the newsletter which describe its wildlife.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM

53 posts, read 157,501 times
Default Maine

Western Maine is the place to go for moose.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,659,246 times
The moose population is growing even here in Chittenden County, but you have to frequent off the road areas especially near wetlands (ponds, marshes) to see them. Surprisingly they seem to like to hang out at high elevation areas as well as I see evidence of them above 3,000 feet elevation well above deciduous cover. Last year I saw two cut across my land. I see signs of moose frequently on my hike/snowshoe trips, but seeing them directly is difficult as they are reclusive. The same goes for black bears in season. I've caught a glimpse of them, but again, they are reclusive and will avoid human contact most often leaving the area quickly. Unfortunately, on trails many day hikers like to bring dogs with them and/or carry on loud conversations so this greatly diminishes the ability to see wildlife. Best to find more remote trails or just head into dense wooded areas. Just remember to use a map and have some land navigation knowledge because it's actually quite easy to lose track of distance, time, and direction when you are bushwhacking along.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,666,745 times
I live in Cavendish-Weathersfield area (near Hawks Mountain) and I can assure you not only do I have deer, and lots of them, wild turkeys, cazillion of them (well, not quite a cazillion) I have had moose on my property as well as bears. Actually last year I had a mamma bear with her two little bear cubs by my pond; I think it was the cubs "first day out" on their own; they were definitely very cute...and having a good time checking things out...putting their "paws?" in the pond and jumping back...I watched them for quite a while and then only saw one cub and was not sure if the other took off with the mama and forgot the other little guy...started to go to the back yard towards the pond, can't imagine why I did that and then I 'heard' the mama and figured, let me get back into my house fast!

So, that being said, I think you can find an abundance of wildlife from turkeys to beavers to deer, to moose, bears and coyotes pretty much everywhere and of late, a lot in my area.

Any other questions, you are also welcome to email me directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>