Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 80,123 times

Advertisements

Hey there-

We will be renting a house in Stowe/Morrisville next week. We spend a good amount of time in Vermont visiting friends, skiing, doing the whole Burlington thing. Is there anything we regular visitors may not know about that would be good to check out?

Where to get a real creemee nearby?
Any feedback on the Boyden Farm and Winery?
Any restaurants to go to or avoid?
Easy hikes to do with kids?
Swimming holes?
Is Waitsfield worth a trip?

We have 2 boys ages 7 and 9. We don't want to do a lot of driving with them. Looking for more local opportunities (within an hour if really cool.)

We have friends in Ripton so we have been to stuff out in Middlebury (Flatbread, etc). We also ski down at Stratton so we are familiar with stuff down there. We nearly moved to Burlington and Montpelier so we are pretty knowledgeable about that area, too. The fall-out of the economy nixed our moving plans last Fall for now.

Things we already know we are going to do: B & J for old time's sake, Smuggs, the toll road at Stowe, the farmers market...

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepotato View Post
Hey there-

We will be renting a house in Stowe/Morrisville next week. We spend a good amount of time in Vermont visiting friends, skiing, doing the whole Burlington thing. Is there anything we regular visitors may not know about that would be good to check out?

Swimming holes?

We have 2 boys ages 7 and 9. We don't want to do a lot of driving with them. Looking for more local opportunities (within an hour if really cool.)

Things we already know we are going to do: B & J for old time's sake, Smuggs, the toll road at Stowe, the farmers market...
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Here's some of the things that I'm familiar with after enjoying our vacation home in Stowe for 6+ years now. Don't know about Boyden Farm though.

Here's a few great resources to investigate the many events in the area:
An online edition of the Stowe Reporter newspaper. Stowe Reporter > Front (http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_reporter/front/ - broken link)
Official Guide to Stowe Vermont: Hotels, Skiing Vacations – Resorts , Lodging, Dining, Spa
Vermont Lodging*VT*Dining VT*Inns Hotels Rentals Events Photos Classified Golf Vacations Hiking Spa Summer Camps Fairs

One of our favorite hikes when our kids were younger ~ in fact, my DH and I still hike here: Wiesner Woods. It's just off of Mountain Road (turn onto Edson Hill).
Stowe Vermont hiking trails Stowe Vermont Mt. Mansfield Hikes and Trails Vermont Living Magazine

As far as swimming holes near Morrisville, I have heard of this one, but haven't visited yet. You might find this worth investigating:
CADY FALLS – MORRISTOWN

Kenfield brook flows through a large opening in a natural stone wall, forming an elegant, wide double waterfall that fills a secluded, shady pool. Steep rock walls capped with towering trees create a bucolic atmosphere. The falls are simply the most elegant and beautiful. It’s nestled deep in the woods near the Mt. Mansfield State Forest – usually very shady and cool. It even sounds relaxing. It's about a 1/2 mile walk from the parking area upstream to the swimming hole, but you'll be well rewarded for your hike. Bathing suits are the custom here too.

You get to this little paradise by following Route 100 south from the center of Morrisville for approximately 1 mile. Turn right onto Cole Hill Rd. (later becomes French Hill Rd.). Pass Cady Falls Road on your right, do not take this road. Take the next right onto Stagecoach Road. Follow Stagecoach Road north; the parking area will be approximately 1/2 mile on the left.
Creemees:
Kellee's Creemee and Grill
150 Main Street in Waterbury

I noticed driving around the Morrisville/Stowe/Waterbury area that little shops and deli's will often have Creemee signs posted, I've seen more this year than before. There's a good activity for the kids ~ keep their eyes open for Creemee signs.

Restaurants: Gracie's Restaurant has a dog theme, which my kids have always loved. They've moved up Mountain Road this year, near Edson Hill Road. The Google map doesn't reflect this yet. The Green Mountain Inn is a good one too. We love their year-round turkey dinners.

If you're on the Morrisville side of Stowe, I highly recommend the Foxfire Restaurant. Great menu, especially if you enjoy Italian cuisine.
Stowe Vermont Inn - Stowe Vermont Bed and Breakfast - Foxfire Inn - Italian Restaurant

Make sure you pick up a Stowe Dining Guide. Stop into the Stowe Visitors Center in the middle of town. Great literature there, as well as very knowledgable staff.

If you're going to be there for the weekend of August 10, be sure to visit the Stowe Antique Car show! It's so much fun, we make sure to be in Stowe during this particular weekend every year (this year too!). Don't miss the parade, it's a hoot! Vermont Automobile Enthusiasts (Classic and Antique Car Club) :: 2007 Stowe Car Show Make restaurant reservations if you're going out.

Waitsfield is worth a trip, it's a very cute town w/ nice little shops. We usually visit Waitsfield on Thursday so we can visit the Waterbury Farmer's Market on the way back to Stowe. If you like tea, visit our favorite tea shop on the planet: The Tea Store. It's in the back of the Artisans Gallery building on 20 Bridge Street in Waitsfield. Home Page

Enjoy your vacation!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
[quote=littlepotato;10001165]Hey there-

I.C. Scoops on Main Street, Stowe. They use a special mix with a high butterfat content. Their maple creemees are especially good and they also have "flavorburst" creemees that my kids love.

Worth a trip. There is a creemee stand for the kids and a wine-tasting room for the adults. You can also pick up all-natural meat to bring back to your vacation home and the views along Route 15 as you make your way there are lovely.

With kids I'd stick to less expensive kid-friendly places. Pie in the Sky, the Shed, Gracies and the Rusty Nail are all loud with room for the kids to walk around if they need to stretch their legs. The Rusty Nail also has outdoor seating and a jumpy castle. Also, Bees Knees in Morrisville is kid friendly and specializes in all-natural local food. Your kids will love the homemade mac and cheese.

The easiest would by Moss Glenn Falls. Take Route 100 to Randolph Road to Moss Glenn Road and the trailhead is just down the road. It's a short hike to the base of the falls and there's a river the kids can play in. You can also follow a trail to the head of the Waterfall.

The Pinnacle: A steep, but relatively easy hike. You'll have to climb some rocks so make sure you have proper footwear. Just follow Route 100 to School Street to Stowe Hollow Road.

Sterling Valley: Just take Route 100 to Stagecoach Road to Sterling Valley Road. A beautiful hike with waterfalls and lots of water for the kids to play in.

Swimming holes?

There are lots of swimming holes off of the Recreation Path. There's also a nice one off of Moscow Road near the ballfields. Foster's Swimming Hole is nice, cold and deep and located off of Notchbrook Road, on the left hand side if you're coming from the Mountain Road.

Waitsfield has a quaint village with some interesting shops. I've also heard it has some awesome swimming holes, but I've never taken the time to explore them.

When you arrive in Stowe, pick up a copy of the Stowe Guide. It has lots of information on area attractions and its free at the Visitor's Center on Main Street.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Adream-Thanks so much for all of the great tips. We are there during the Antique Car show and it didn't even occur to me to go to it! Now we will.

I also found a Creemee place in Morrisville called Dishes to Cones that I think may have just opened this year.

I also read somewhere that it would be a good bet to check out the Pinnacle Meadow as a hiking spot.

Thanks so much!

Does anyone know if it is allowed to go on the grounds of the Trapp Family Lodge or even worth it? I want to go on lots of walks/hikes with the kids, but I don't want to always be inside the woods...want to be able to see meadows and mountains along the way.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
I would agree, Waitsfield definitely worth the trip. A great drive down 100 as well.

We love Piecasso, great pizza and there's a game room for the kids.
Welcome to Piecasso.com | Piecasso

While I've never been a huge fan of the Shed, it's great for kids and they have a lot of different menu options.

There is a new ice cream shop that opened on Main Street back in May (same time as the one in Morrisville)...home made ice cream and creemees if I recall correctly...all I remember is that what I had was amazing. I don't think they have a web site yet:
I.C. Scoops 112 Main Street, Stowe, 253-0995

I second Wiesner Woods, great hike. We also love Moss Glen Falls, it's a very short, easy hike and ends at a waterfall.
Moss Glen Falls (Stowe) - Waterfalls of the Northeastern United States

There is also Bingham Falls, up on Mountain Road, close to the resort. I don't think there is a sign posted for it, it's one of those things you just kind of know. But if you go up the hill (past the Matterhorn), you'll see an area where there's a small parking run off on both sides of Mountain Road, the trail to the falls is on the right. This is also a very short walk, maybe 1/4 mile.
Bingham Falls - Waterfalls of the Northeastern United States

Trapps has lots of trails to check out, and you can also take the toll road up to Mansfield and check out some of trails there. Going up towards the Notch, there's a lot of hikes up there. You can check out the Green Mountain Club for more hiking options, or stop by there and pick up some guides/maps.
Green Mountain Club Home - Long Trail, Vermont, Hiking, Vermont Hiking

Have fun!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM

LisaMc46-Thanks so much for more information!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Sigh. I typed too slow!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks tkln!

Some of the places you all have mentioned were things that I was finding in my web searching...now I have actual first hand recommendations so that is excellent!

We are actually staying in a house on Stagecoach road so it sounds like some of the places are right in our area.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
See you at the car show LittlePotato! To answer your question: we frequently visit and walk around the grounds at Trapp Lodge. There is a lovely meadow past the main lodge where Scottish Highland Cattle graze. You can walk beyond that to the woods, or opposite the lodge itself to rolling lawns, meadows and an incredible view. I defy you NOT to start singing "the hills are alive..." I can't resist every time we're there, you can really see why an Austrian family decided it felt like "home." You can also have lunch in their little restaurant overlooking this beautiful view.

So much great information about creemees! I totally forgot about the new I.C. Scoops ice cream shop on Main Street in Stowe. We just passed by last week and I mentioned to my DH that we have to stop in when we're back in town.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Part of what can make an experience like this unforgettable is to place it in context. The night before going to the Trapp Family Lodge, play "Sound of Music" for the kids - either just the music, or the movie if they are up for it. Then you can point out that this is where Maria lived after the movie. Not strictly true, but they will get the point.

Day trips. What many people don't realize is that the most gorgeous times in Vermont occur at dawn or during the golden hour at dusk. The midsummer overhead light just does not show the scenery off to best advantage. A friend, who is one of the best photographers in the state, and who is just now considering returning to working as a pro, shows that timing can be everything. Here is a link to his website and an image he took at the Waterbury Reservoir one cool morning-

ABAtwood Photography | Scenics One (http://abatwood.daportfolio.com/gallery/59542#5 - broken link)

This is one of his images of that Moss Glenn Falls in Stowe that you might visit (there is another Moss Glenn Falls in Granville)-

In Stowe, if you go in the old trolley terminal, you'll find one of those small picture books on how Stowe used to look. Some kids like to compare then and now, especially if you stop at a couple of spots and show them the photo of how it looked back then, and then let them see how it looks now.

One of the biggest bits of advice I can give is to get out of the car about every half hour or less, choosing some scenic spot or business, and walking around. If they are old enough to bicycle, that might be a possibility as well.

For scenic overviews, go up the road just south of Ben and Jerry's and onto Blush Hill. Once you hit the Blush Hill road, turn north towards Stowe. It'll dead end at the reservoir, but there is a working farm up there and some good views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont