U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 children are moving to VT in November for a job at Norwich University. We are researching places to live and thinking we will be in Barre or Montpelier, if not Northfield. I am looking for things to do year round with children, age 3 and an infant. We live in VA now and are used to places like indoor malls with play centers, Chuck E Cheese, petting farms, pools, children's gyms etc...Any parents with any suggestions on what to do to keep little ones busy in VT? We are up for anything fun!

Or can anyone recommend a Moms group or something similar where I can find more info?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 PM

3,438 posts, read 9,657,893 times
I'm not sure I would consider Barre because of the schools. Montpelier is a great choice as would be Berlin, East Montpelier or Middlesex.
You'll be in for a bit of culture shock...no Chuck E Cheese (Pizza PUtt in Burlington comes close), very small malls compared to what you are used to, etc. People here partake in outdoor activities - skiing, hiking, boating, swimming, kayaking etc. Not too much "manufactured fun" exists here. Get out and take advantage of nature!
Good luck with your move!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks so much for the info! We are "outdoorsy" as well...Just wondering what to do during the winter with little ones...and we are homeschooling so housing might be easier to find as well! Thanks again! Looking forward to moving there!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 PM

190 posts, read 615,565 times
In the winter, take them outside! Lots of opportunity here to go snowshoeing, skiing, and just playing in the snow. There's not much to do inside here in Vermont, so making snow forts, snowball fights, digging tunnels, and of course going sledding takes top priority. Do keep in mind that winters here are much colder and harsher than in most other places in the U.S.

There are some indoor places that are fun, of course. Try the Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury, Pizza Putt golf in Burlington, and Billings Farm in Woodstock. I think VTer got it right- you might be in for some culture shock. One way my friends and I amused ourselves when we were kids was to just go out and play in the woods behind their houses. When we got older, we would walk around town at night, or meet up with other kids our age and play flashlight tag. I wish you the best of luck with your move and hope you enjoy VT!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 AM

10,705 posts, read 17,263,960 times
I had a possible opportunity to move to the Burlington area from the NYC area last spring, and when I visited a couple of times one thing I starkly noticed was lack of chains. Even though Burlington is more of a city/small metro than the rest of VT, there were no CVS drugstores (though I've heard one is opening soon), the one major hospital/health care system was Francis Allen (please correct if I spelled/said that wrong), and generally, if a "chain" does exist, there's one for the entire area (i.e. just one Wal-Mart and something like 4 in the entire state).

Now this can be a good thing too, there's something to be said for "local flavor" wherever you go and I'm sure the lack of a Chuck E Cheese does help to get people outdoors, etc. (although I'm sure for a lot of reasons VT would have an "outdoors culture" no matter what, I mean to not go outdoors in VT would be like living in Manhattan and watching cable TV all day vs. immersing in the culture).

Ironically, more than any other "big" metro, in my view in metro NYC (especially in the City itself and the suburbs north of it (the latter where I'm really from), less so in NJ and Long Island) you have a bit of this "lack of chains" culture too. We are usually one of the last major areas in America to get chains like Wal-Mart, Circuit City and for that matter Chuck E Cheese (and when they do come, they initially put them in NJ and LI, the only Chuck E Cheese in metro NYC outside of NJ is actually in a very "marginal" part of the Bronx of all places).

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Great info!~ I will totally be in for a culture shock I know, but we are military and used to change! I have lived in small towns but never anywhere like VT where winter will last a long time My kids are little, 3 years old and a new 3 week old! I don't think they will last too long in the snow each day, but I am sure your summers are AMAZING compared to the sweltering Georgia heat we endured for almost 3 years!! I'll keep them busy inside and bundle them up for small periods of time to tire them out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont