Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcp View Post
i love best friends, they are such a wonderful place. my cousin visit there over spring break with her class, because they do this thing were they go to grammer kids and talk about dog fighting, animal abuse, pit bulls, stray animals, etc. they have also been in several articles.

Me, too! I've been there a couple of times to visit and volunteer. I also volunteer remotely with Best Friends Network. My sister, brother-in-law, and nieces just got back from an amazing visit/volunteer stay at Best Friends. I think the excellent magazine is well worth the $25 annual membership donation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Well, in order of preference from first to last:

1-Alaska
2-Northern Maine
3-Northern New Hampshire
4-Northern Idaho
5-Wyoming

Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Portland, Maine or Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Somewhere there are jobs!

Seriously, I wish it would work out here but unless I get a job (not supermarket or fast food) we are out of here.

I am also glad not to be in NY, Arel.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 09-25-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM

459 posts, read 1,037,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, in order of preference from first to last:

1-Alaska
2-Northern Maine
3-Northern New Hampshire
4-Northern Idaho
5-Wyoming
Have you been to the panhandle (Idaho)? It's pretty scary up there. White supremacists, anti-gov't types that don't play around...
I don't know if the Aryan Nation still has their parade in Couer d' Alene, but that is definitely not a friendly place, especially not for someone from VT (I've been there many times in a car with VT plates).

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Have you been to the panhandle (Idaho)? It's pretty scary up there. White supremacists, anti-gov't types that don't play around...
I don't know if the Aryan Nation still has their parade in Couer d' Alene, but that is definitely not a friendly place, especially not for someone from VT (I've been there many times in a car with VT plates).
Yeah a relative lives there. I didn't find many White supremacists, I think that's been way overblown by the media, those people are largely outcasts there. There are quite a few libertarian/anti-big government types and some militia types but in some ways I blend in with them (not to some of their extremes though...). I didn't have a problem even in a car with VT plates. Then again I also open carried a .44 revolver too (largely for critters though), I suppose I didn't look like someone to mess with or the stereotypical granola munching hippy VT'er some of them might think of...

That was about 4 years ago that I visited for a couple weeks though, not sure if things are the same there. I even looked at some land while I was there but decided against it. Taxes are high there. I ultimately decided Alaska is a better place to go...

Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah a relative lives there. I didn't find many White supremacists, I think that's been way overblown by the media, those people are largely outcasts there. There are quite a few libertarian/anti-big government types and some militia types but in some ways I blend in with them (not to some of their extremes though...). I didn't have a problem even in a car with VT plates. Then again I also open carried a .44 revolver too (largely for critters though), I suppose I didn't look like someone to mess with or the stereotypical granola munching hippy VT'er some of them might think of...

That was about 4 years ago that I visited for a couple weeks though, not sure if things are the same there. I even looked at some land while I was there but decided against it. Taxes are high there. I ultimately decided Alaska is a better place to go...
I definitely don't look like a hippie at all (buzz cut, normal clothes), but the people in the panhandle, every time I've been there, were unfriendly bordering on hostile. Then you cross into WA state and its a different (more normal) world. That was my experience anyway. The difference between MT/WA and the panhandle was pretty obvious.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
I definitely don't look like a hippie at all (buzz cut, normal clothes), but the people in the panhandle, every time I've been there, were unfriendly bordering on hostile. Then you cross into WA state and its a different (more normal) world. That was my experience anyway. The difference between MT/WA and the panhandle was pretty obvious.
Interesting. I didn't experience that. I've been to other places people say are unfriendly (like Northern Maine) and didn't experience it. Obviously then it's not someplace you would be happy in. It's not at the top of my list either obviously but I thought it was a nice place, except for the taxes (kind of like Vermont, nice, but too expensive and not a wonderful economy), but I sort of liked that people weren't big on big government there.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't experience that. I've been to other places people say are unfriendly (like Northern Maine) and didn't experience it. Obviously then it's not someplace you would be happy in. It's not at the top of my list either obviously but I thought it was a nice place, except for the taxes (kind of like Vermont, nice, but too expensive and not a wonderful economy), but I sort of liked that people weren't big on big government there.
I lived in MT for years, and people aren't big on gov't there either. I may have disagreed with them sometimes, and agreed with them others, but it was always in a friendly way. The politics in MT weren't necessarily my politics, but I got along just find because the overriding attitude there is to mind your own business. I guess my point is that it wasn't really the politics in northern Idaho that bothered me (I dont have any problems with libertarians, its the theocratic elements of the GOP that bother me) it was the hostility. It is certainly possible that I ran into a few bad apples, but the only other time I've felt that way was in rural GA.
I also think the politics in that part of Idaho are a little extreme for me (extreme right, just like I don't like VT politics because they are extreme left). MT was much less in your face about it, and I really respect that.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,805,542 times
ALL things considered the best places in US are WI,MN and parts of upstate NY and UP of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: