Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM

43 posts, read 172,571 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to plan a last minute Fall foliage vacation. We are hoping to go during the week of October 19th, will this be past peak foliage or will there still be a fair amount of colors?

Also- Where to stay? We are coming from NY, and since its later in season, should probably aim for southern VT.. We want a nice resort, preferably with spa, in a town thats not too sleepy, that has shops and restaurants. Something really romantic. I heard of taking ski lifts through the mountains/foliage. That sounds awesome.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Since your date is kinda late for foliage southern Vermont would be the best choice. Any town would work. Jacksonville is almost on the Mass border and a nice area, not super touristy. Wilmington is in the mountains so I would think most of the foliage would be on the ground. It's very touristy. Actually western Mass or NW Conn or the Poconos in PA would be better choices if fall colors are the top priority.

Also most if not all of the foliage lift rides around Vermont close after Columbus Weekend. If you can bump it up a week southern Vermont should still have some decent color. The challenge would be finding lodging at this late in the game.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds1 View Post
We want a nice resort, preferably with spa, in a town thats not too sleepy, that has shops and restaurants.
Resort in the resort-y town of Manchester:
Equinox Resort & Spa | Vermont Hotel | Manchester Village | Southern VT Reservation

Exceedingly picturesque country inns in a sleepy town not too-too far from Manchester:
Three Mountain Inn - Southern Vermont Bed & Breakfast Jamaica, VT -- Romantic Vermont Inn Lodging
http://www.hermitageinn.com/

Not as far south, but very upscale & beautiful resort near resort-y Woodstock (to me, more quaint than Manchester):

Twin Farms - All Inclusive Vermont Resort and Spa

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 PM

47 posts, read 108,655 times
Drive up route 100 eat in Waterbury (decent food/beer places) when you get to the top of 100. Use google Earth to find hotels on the way up. Take the highway back to where ever you are from. Just North of Waterbury is Stowe...stop at the cider/fresh dounuts place and drive up to Snuggler's Crotch at the top of the hill past town on 108.

Does your Husband flyfish...fish the Winooski River.

Last edited by foxxtrot; 09-29-2009 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
Drive up route 100 eat in Waterbury (decent food/beer places) when you get to the top of 100. Use google Earth to find hotels on the way up. Take the highway back to where ever you are from. Just North of Waterbury is Stowe...stop at the cider/fresh dounuts place and drive up to Snuggler's Crotch at the top of the hill past town on 108.

Does your Husband flyfish...fish the Winooski River.
That's a beautiful drive for sure but for the date the OP wants to visit all the color will be long gone in those areas. The colors here in northern Vermont will be peaking in the next 10 days and it looks like it's going to be awesome. My boss lives in Wolcot, about 15 miles northeast of Stowe and he says it's going to peak middle of next week

Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
I would try to come up next weekend, if possible. I live in the Stowe area and we've had a lot of rain this week with more expected through this weekend. The color is gorgeous, but I'm afraid most of the leaves will be off the trees by Columbus Day weekend. I believe it's been raining throughout Vermont so this could be a problem statewide.

I agree with the posters who suggested southern Vermont since it's generally a bit warmer there and the colors change later. If you go onto the state travel and tourism Web site there's a foliage forecaster that will tell you what the foliage is like in different regions of the state. The site also has a lodging and activity finder.

Good luck. Before we moved here ,my dh and I would come to Vermont every fall to celebrate our anniversary. The foliage never disappointed us.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
drive up to Snuggler's Crotch at the top of the hill past town on 108.
Hhhmmm, never heard it called that before.
Winter Vacations at Smugglers' Notch Vermont

We just returned from Stowe a few days ago. The colors were astonishing, there was still a bit of green mixed in. With the frosts they're getting overnight, I doubt there will be much color left by 10/17 so southern Vermont would be a better idea. To bad you can't leave earlier; I'd recommend Topnotch in Stowe for a place to stay with a spa. The town is a perfect match for your other criteria as well. Maybe next year.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I agree on it being too late--I'd be looking for a vacation spot further south--maybe the Catskills or Poconos.

We head up to the Stowe, VT and Lake Placid, NY areas in the first or second week of October, and sometimes have already missed peak.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM

29 posts, read 154,137 times
I agree with the date being too far past foliage.
For some ideas though, take a look at this site:

Happy Vermont :: Travel Blog

Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I agree with OP, the Equinox in Manchester. They have a beautiful preserve and a pond that is just like "On Golden Pond." Also a great spa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont