Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM

986 posts, read 2,337,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Jim we know RI isn't going to win any prizes for economic vibrancy, but what folks are trying to point out is VT is worse. Small old population crumbling infrastructure the copper phone lines are failing due to age and their is no money or will to replace them. Burlington has Fiber but their fiber consortium is on the ropes. The roads take a toll on cars(new tie rods every year for some of us) the weather is harsh on the houses 30 year lifetime house paint is good for maybe 5 years if you are lucky. Lots of little things that add up. Throw in the dismal wages and work opportunities and it is a tough road to follow. Frankly I could put up with everything if there was a vibrant economy. There isn't and there will not be a 'recovery' in VT. The old population, lack of infrastructure, taxes, anti development attitudes will see to that. VT is an expensive backwater the best hope for the future is to have the state machine collapse and revert to being an inexpensive backwater. Go for it if you must you have been warned.
You sound exactly like many RIers. The political machine must be broken down for the problems to be fixed (true to a degree). But here's the thing... if everyone had the attitude that there is absolutely no hope and no chance for a recovery, the state will fail. It's a damn good thing the majority of people here don't sound like that.

I really don't understand how people could not want new people to move to their state. I mean, people moving there is generally a good thing, right? I would love for nothing more than to see Providence hit the 200k mark (or heck, 250K would be awesome).

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,139,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
It's a damn good thing the majority of people here don't sound like that.

It's like a competition. Some are fighting to secure Vermont's distinction as the worst place, the most hopeless. I'm sure there are people waging this "contest" in every state, every country. It's just the flip side of "We're the best!" Let them "win" and maybe we can move on.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 AM

894 posts, read 1,562,552 times
It is simple. It is not a competition. It is not political. VT is in bad shape economically(and demographically), the cure grow the economy. For a myriad of reasons that will not happen significantly in VT in our lifetimes. I have no problem with folks moving to or living in VT but don't lie to yourselves(or others) about the economic reality. How is VT going to fix this simple problem? http://www.ethanallen.org/pdf/OffTheRailsFINAL.pdf

Old 10-13-2009, 07:44 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
Quote:
I really don't understand how people could not want new people to move to their state. I mean, people moving there is generally a good thing, right? I would love for nothing more than to see Providence hit the 200k mark (or heck, 250K would be awesome).
Well being one who grew up in rural Northern VT and one who dislikes cities, I have to say, most rural people don't want a lot of people to move in and make things crowded. That's a city thing, wanting lots of people. And VT's population has in fact grown considerably in the past 40 years.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Kind of late in responding to this thread due to being frequently gone preparing for the upcoming deployment that nobody seems to notice here in Vermont despite the fact that 1.500 of us will be gone in a few months. As to the question of being down on Vermont. It's not really being down on Vermont as a whole, but it is being down on a system which crushes us economically. For those that read these forums consider it good that you can get both the good and bad, because if all you got were just one side then how could you base your decision and research on possibly relocating here. There is a lot of truth from both sides, it just gets confusing at times to try and figure out which "truth" might realistically apply to your own personal situation. Good luck to all.

May you return quickly and you be kept out of harm's way.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM

82 posts, read 229,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
We get to know each other here after a while. Many, although not all, of the people here who haven't had luck with jobs or friendships seem arrogant, whiny, or just downright annoying. I wouldn't hire or befriend them either.
They'll run into the same trouble in any state. It's not Vermont, like they think it is.
Actually, this isn't true. I was one of those people who couldn't find employment in VT, despite having excellent qualifications and experience. I was neither whiny, or arrogant, however, I wasn't willing to accept poverty wages for 10x the work either.

I didn't run into the same trouble in another state. While I still live here (for a couple months more) I have had a very lucrative telemarketing job paying 5x as much as any job I applied for here, absolutely LOVE IT.

If you haven't lived anywhere else or experienced anything outside your myopic world view, much of the nuanced critiques are going to seem whiny, arrogant or downright annoying. If you have ventured out a bit, you'll realize the employment opportunities and salaries here are insulting to anyone who has ever held a professional job requiring advanced education.

33K for a MSW. C'mon now!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,096,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
Actually, this isn't true. I was one of those people who couldn't find employment in VT, despite having excellent qualifications and experience. I was neither whiny, or arrogant, however, I wasn't willing to accept poverty wages for 10x the work either.
Good post. I've given it 2 years here and I have not whined or been arrogant. I tried really hard to find a decent job but I get the 'thanks no thanks' over and over again. I've volunteered, I've started a group, I've really tried to make a go of it.

I've tried to befriend various people and the same thing happens. You get the hi how you doing and that's it. No one takes it further.

Life is not supposed to be hard and miserable. I never had trouble finding work till we moved here. If we didn't have a child in school, we'd be out of here by now. Our lease ends in February and perhaps we will leave in the spring. I don't want to move but I also don't want to spend my life 'daydreaming' of a job. I'm too old.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM

159 posts, read 405,744 times
I was born, raised and lived for 55 years in vermont and never felt people that moved to vermont were any different or thought less of them than the natives...except for maybe richer. I met just as many nice people that were new and just as many miserable people that were natives. I moved two years ago and for me it was one of the best things I've done, would I recommend Vermont to anyone...it depends. Do they have a good job lined up, do they enjoy living in a rural area with shopping, entertainment and cultural activities hours driving away. It all comes down to personal likes and can they afford Vermont. Unless you're coming to vermont to get in of the state welfare system which I've heard is one of the better ones.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM

914 posts, read 2,924,500 times
GypsySoul, I know this might sound simplistic, and perhaps you've already considered it, but is there a business you could do from home? I don't know where your expertise lies, or what you have been educated or trained to do, but maybe you could start up a home-based business that would reflect your interests, and utilitze your knowledge and skills. Just a suggestion.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

82 posts, read 229,839 times
Just look at the job listings on various websites. It's the same jobs over and over. Jobs I applied to two years ago are routinely reposted with additional responsibilities added and lower pay. ::shakes head::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont