Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times

Advertisements

Why do you believe that the same jobs are reposted? Is it the inability to find suitable applicants, bad employment conditions, fickle employees/employers?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,420 times
I've noticed that as well, same jobs being posted indefinitely. Could be high turnover or it could be some employers collecting tax givebacks because they are 'hiring.' Might be someone in HR is friends with someone in PursueVermont and are helping keep up appearances.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,741,604 times
Very interesting....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Why do you believe that the same jobs are reposted? Is it the inability to find suitable applicants, bad employment conditions, fickle employees/employers?
I can only speak for the small nonprofit I work with. We posted some jobs repeatedly and endlessly because either no one at all applied, or no one qualified applied. I don't know about fickle, but we wanted candidates who actually had the experience and, at the very least, the aptitude to do the job. At least two positions were never filled so the board and staff absorbed the work as best we could.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,830,154 times
All the ski resorts in Vermont are now hiring, looking for 3000+ people. Job openings in a wide variety from marketing, customer service to F&B. Your not going to get rich but most jobs start at $9/hr good till April depends on your skill set. Many resorts are now open in the summer/fall so continued employment is possible.

Everyone gets a free pass so even if you don't ski/snowboard you can learn at very little cost. Here at Sugarbush we have had so much interest, not too surprising, so we have expanded our normal 3 job fairs to 7.

A couple of friends recently moved up to NEK and just got hired on at Jay Peak. They don't ski but are thrilled to get off unemployment and to give the sport a try since they get a pass, free lessons and greatly reduced rentals.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,665,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I can only speak for the small nonprofit I work with. We posted some jobs repeatedly and endlessly because either no one at all applied, or no one qualified applied. I don't know about fickle, but we wanted candidates who actually had the experience and, at the very least, the aptitude to do the job. At least two positions were never filled so the board and staff absorbed the work as best we could.
This is a huge problem in the state. In all honesty it is largely due to the fact that people who get an education in state leave or don't want to move here for one reason or another. I have been involved with recruitment at FAHC in Burlington to fill our open positions in our department. The students that graduate the allied health program leave the state after graduation. At one point the school had put out over 100 graduates in a 8 year period and we were only able to retain one. It's also a huge expense to try to recruit people. I'm not always complaining though, I get to go to San Antonio next month for a week. I have been sent all over the country and you would think in todays economy you could attract a few qualified people.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,420 times
Same old two stories in VT- We are unable to find qualified employees. And qualified employees unable to find a job.
1. Maybe the employers/employees just aren't finding each other.
2. Perhaps the self identified quality job seekers- are of lower quality then they believe they are.
3. Maybe the wages being offered for professional jobs do not reflect either the COL or wages for the same position 150 miles away.
Makes you go hmmmm. I'd guess mostly number three, but I was in number twos position so maybe it is us losers.
What do those 99 out of 100 graduates know about the living and working conditions where they just trained that cause them to move? We are told Vermont has a high quality of life and Burlington is tops for everything Vermont. How could folks who went to school there not stay- they are being offered jobs? Nothing easier than taking a job where you trained.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
If they pay $30 an hour and require little experience and a rapidly deteriorating, middle-aged brain, send me a direct message.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
If they pay $30 an hour and require little experience and a rapidly deteriorating, middle-aged brain, send me a direct message.
LMAO! I'll put that "resume" on file just in case. Hey, you never know.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
Just look at the job listings on various websites. It's the same jobs over and over. Jobs I applied to two years ago are routinely reposted with additional responsibilities added and lower pay. ::shakes head::
I've been here 2 years. I see the same employers hiring every few months. I don't want to name them but I am sure it's because it sucks to work there, not because they are expanding.

One job ALWAYS in the paper: breakfast servers in local motels/hotels including a few posh ones. I did this job one day. It was horrible. The guy who owned the place I worked tried to screw me out of my 1 day paycheck. Called Board of Labor. Apparently this is a BIG practice in VT.

People will continue to chip down the wages here because they can get the BAs and MS and RNs for low money...This is just how it is. If you are lucky to not have this problem and jobs have never been an issue for you, then there is no way you can understand what some of us are going through.

I wanted to add, I do not think this is just symptomatic of VT. I also think maybe some of us not getting jobs is the universe's way of telling us we may be in the wrong place. These things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont