Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 11,134 times

Advertisements

Which part of Vermont gets the most thunderstorms?

As in strong winds, thunder and lightening, lots of rain?
I know tornadoes aren't common but where do they occur..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Default In my yard lol

Yes tornadoes are rare but do happen, this is a small state, Mother Nature choses where and when.
Depends on the season I guess, some years we have t-storms everyday it seems, other years not so much, just like other states. It can be windy here and calm 6 miles up the road.

Ice storms can also be a problem.
Those can really be a pain.

(If you had been asking about Colorado,,,that would be a whole different story lol. east of the Rockies tend to have lots/more tornadoes,t= storms(I hate them to this day) hail ect.)

Last edited by Summerz; 10-10-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
All of the above. We get all of them. A year without a major storm, at some point in the year, is rare (unheard of?) anywhere in VT.

Tornadoes...small, not long lasting, and rare.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,881 times
A tornado devastated parts of downtown Rutland the a week before we left in
2007. I was stuck in it driving my Wife into town in the AM. Very scary stuff

Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
A tornado devastated parts of downtown Rutland the a week before we left in
2007. I was stuck in it driving my Wife into town in the AM. Very scary stuff
The winds pounded Rutland neighborhoods. It was horrid. Photos here.

A tree fell on my neighbors' car across the street. Here's my cat checking it out:

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I was in the tornado that hit Bradley Field in Hartford, CT. Crazy! I watched planes flipping over from the inside the terminal. No one expected a tornado.

I've also been in two earthquakes in Vermont.

And don't forget thunder snow. The only place I've seen that is in Vt.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmariee View Post
Which part of Vermont gets the most thunderstorms?

As in strong winds, thunder and lightening, lots of rain?
I know tornadoes aren't common but where do they occur..

Thanks!
Yes. Thunderstorms in the summer. Blizzards in the winter. Occasional earthquakes (nothing major) and very rarely, a tornado.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,897 times
I think the Lake regions are probably most moderate, but other than snow and ice storms Vermont isn't a particular weather hotspot--of course we get strong wind and rain and lightening storms but not that often comparatively, and tornadoes are almost unheard of. Any earthquake is likely to leave you thinking a big truck went by till you realize you don't live near a road.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM

400 posts, read 849,632 times
I guess I don't really consider thunderstorms "severe" weather. Thats just regular weather IMO. Is there a place on the planet that doesn't occasionally get thunderstorms? I only remember one earthquake. I thought it was an unevenly loaded washing machine at the time.

Its get windy as hell by my house fairly often during the winter, but the only thing that really does a lot of damage around here are ice storms. It snows a lot of course, but that goes without saying.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I guess I don't really consider thunderstorms "severe" weather. Thats just regular weather IMO. Is there a place on the planet that doesn't occasionally get thunderstorms? I only remember one earthquake. I thought it was an unevenly loaded washing machine at the time.

Its get windy as hell by my house fairly often during the winter, but the only thing that really does a lot of damage around here are ice storms. It snows a lot of course, but that goes without saying.
Have a tree struck by lightning nearly fall on you (or your house) and then say it isn't severe weather...most thunderstorms are not that severe but the severe ones are pretty dangerous...

There is a potential for larger earthquakes than we've seen in recent decades, but nothing approaching what CA or AK or areas along the New Madrid Fault (MO, etc.) might get...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont