Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,080,913 times

Advertisements

I am pleased my son is doing well in school. (middle school). It's great they are accommodating him with his special needs and he's apparently doing honor roll or near work. Last year he won an 'outstanding student award.'

My concern is, will he be prepared for college? I'd love to hear from parents, former VT students who are in colleges, and anyone else who can chime in whether a Vermont education in junior high and high gets a kid ready for college work.

I'm concerned it's just too easy. He is quite bright but still..??

I live in the Hartford district right now, but anyone in Vermont or a product of VT schools, please comment..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,274,173 times
I always joke that my high school over prepared me for college LOL. I found my first year of college to be just like high school-all the core classes like math, english, etc that are requirements in college. I got a 3.9 my first year. When I got onto my soph-senior years it was a bit more difficult but I was certainly prepared and did well and ended up graduating with a 3.2.
I went to a public/private high school in the Northeast Kingdom and then to UVM.
I worked with a graduate of Hartford High/UVM and he's doing quite well for himself. Granted he graduated in the 70s

Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
I'd say no. I went to school on LI, however my brother attended HS in VT and my Mom taught HS in VT, I know lots of people that people that attended school in both places and IMO VT HS is not a great prep for college. It might not matter there was a funny statistic published with the number of college freshman that had passed honors classes in HS and the number of college freshman in remedial classes. Smart kids will be able to catch up and colleges are set up to help kids catch up. The bigger question is how many kids in his peer group are going to college? That is important, if no one is going because they are all going to be snowplow drivers in VT anyway it will be a lot harder to get him off to college. I care more about my kid having peers with a positive attitude toward higher ed and finding a prosperous future than the minute details of curriculum.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
mustmove,

What you've written is what keeps me from making the move to VT full time. I'm in Three Village on LI, and I really don't know what district I could find in VT which would offer the same academically.

Peer groups do make a big impact, like you've written, My oldest has friends with whom he maintains a friendly competition. All are going on to college. If they were all about becoming laborers, would they have been so inclined to compete?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.
I went to Long Island schools and they were good (my district when I was in Jr. High and High--I was in honors and AP) but my son began on the wrong foot there and I saw a major decline in the schools. They seriously dropped the ball with him (he was never diagnosed till we came to VT). His teachers were horrible for the most part, and I (as a former teacher) try to cut the faculty slack as I know it's not an easy job.

As far as his peers, well, I don't care if they hang around and farm and drive tractors because if we stay in VT now, we will certainly NOT stay after my son finishes high school. We will either move where he winds up going to college (he wants to be some sort of scientist) or just somewhere else out of VT. Even if he winds up at a 2 year school, it will not be around here.

I doubt very much he's going to hang around here and spend his life making $10 hour which will probably STILL be the going wage in 7 years. (I know I won't!).

Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I'd say no.
We all find this shocking.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
From Wikipedia:
Concerns

Achieve, a non-profit organization dedicated to education reform, gave Vermont the lowest ranking in the nation for college readiness programs for high school. It said that the state was doing nothing in four areas: 1) aligning high school standards and graduation requirements with college and workplace expectations, 2) administering a college readiness test to all high school students; 3) developing a data system to track students from kindergarten on; and 4) holding high schoold accountable for graduating students who are college and workplace ready
Education in Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks Mustmove.
I don't want this thread closed due to flaming, so please, folks be impartial. I would like to hear from all camps (pro and con).

Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Look at Element #7 which deals with Vermont HS students preparedeness for college. Vermont did not meet the criteria of the education test data used. I think it goes without saying that it also depends on the school, unfortunately and the individual student.
Data Quality Campaign | Vermont (6 of 10 Essential Elements)

Old 11-07-2009, 01:32 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Look at Element #7 which deals with Vermont HS students preparedeness for college. Vermont did not meet the criteria of the education test data used. I think it goes without saying that it also depends on the school, unfortunately and the individual student.
Data Quality Campaign | Vermont (6 of 10 Essential Elements)
I think it depends on the school as well. In my case my children go to U-32 in East Montpelier. My son is advanced in math and science. U-32 is more of a liberal arts school and he finds most days torture because he has already learned the material the class is going over. We decided that both of the kids (with their approval) would be moved to another school after Christmas break to better meet their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: