Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,840 times

Advertisements

looking for opinions on O'Reilly's Piece about Vermont and the Jessica's Law debate this evening.....any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM

198 posts, read 801,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
looking for opinions on O'Reilly's Piece about Vermont and the Jessica's Law debate this evening.....any takers?
I'll take your bait. I think it is about time that someone stood up and spoke out concerning our tax-loving, special interest driven legislators and media. I do not always agree with Bill O'Reilly's perspective, but he is right on concerning this issue.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,840 times
Thanks Pucabear

Just for the record,I'm not baiting anyone here. As a native Vermonter, I'm just curious.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
If you follow this stuff closely an argument can be made that
VT. already has stuff in place that is more or less the same as
Jessicas Law or can be used the same way in court. Do I think
they should have passed it if even for show ? Of course ! If it
has anything to do with the welfare of kids, Im for it.......
That being said...0'Rielly is a shameless antagonist. I cannot believe
his thumping of Vermont comes out of anything more than a ratings
ploy, and he has millions of willing, Pavlovian sockpupputs to sit up
and beg to do his bidding when he snaps his fingers. If you read
the online papers from Burlington to Brattleboro his minnions are
already doing thier thing for him. Given his own history of perversion
and sexual harrasment he needs to shut his mouth on subjects of
this nature. Im sure his followers would be shocked to see what
they would get off of his home computer if that situation ever arose.
To me, Springer has way more credibility than 0'Reilly. If you are
trying to make a point, siding with a known hillbilly, circus sideshow
is not the way to do it.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Amen Kozmic Ninja!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I hope they pass Jessica's Law soon for the sake of the children.
You mentioned Bill O. I give him credit for bringing this to the nations attention. We need to protect these children. I hope we can.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 44,030 times
What is Jessica's Law? (I don't get out much)

Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullicker View Post
are you a lobbyist, real estate agent?
No... Im someone who researches facts before siding with
a ratings whoring antagonist. Read the facts of why JL did not
get passed here. Its been published in every VT newspaper that
got attacked by O'reillys army of fools.
I know that would be too much trouble for the average person who
falls for o'reillys nonsense but you might find that VT has more effective
ways of dealing with this. Also....I guarantee your state has a
bigger problem with this type of person than VT does so your
attentions might better be served writing stuff to that forum.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
I try very hard not to become involved in conversations re: religion and politics however, there are times I think exceptions need to be made...so let's first talk about VT and how it continues to be slammed by O'Reilly...actually I think it would be helpful for O'Reilly to gain a bit more education about what VT does, has done and is attempting to do on behalf of victims, victims rights, addressing sentencing issues re: offenders, including and especially sex offenders. VT is the first state in the country to have a Council whose board members are all victims of crime...this Council helps to advocate on behalf of victims, including education, victim impact panels, chats with legislators {smile}..etc. VT legislators recently passed a documents re: Mechanisms of Accountability which created a committee to look at specific issues re: victims, rights, etc., and how to better address those needs and how to create mechanisms to ensure.....min/max sentencing legislation has been passed: Legislative Documents
re: offenders...

The Civil confinement bill is back on the agenda; there are different reactions to this bill, is it fair, is it reasonable...

VT is not the only state that has problems re: offenders/victims however Mr. O'Reilly appears to enjoy frying us more than others....I am not really sure why and it disappoints me that although he enjoys a strong debate (being politicall correct, I hope), he does not appear, in my opinion, to gather all of his facts.

I do believe that our VT legislators and Governor care(s) about the safety and welfare of our children and its community members, unfortunately, not everything can change over night.

VT was the second state (followed Maine, I believe) to provide orders of protection for animals especially in DV cases when so many family pets are hurt, kidnapped or killed because the offender wants to hurt their partner.....

I think VT deserves some kudos.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
Did anyone listen to O'Reilly re: Jessica's law and VT the other night? Have not heard any feedback or should I assume it is the same old same old with Bill recommending that maple syrup be boycotted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont