Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

26 posts, read 165,767 times

Advertisements

I've only heard of chinese, mexican and thai mentioned on this board. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
I can only write about Brattleboro. But Brattleboro has Korean/Japanese, Chinese/Japanese, Italian, Thai, and Indian restaurants. In addition, there are, at the Farmers' Markets, Vietnamese, Malian and now southern Indian stalls.

But there's no Ethiopian food.

There is, I would think, a lot more ethnic cuisine up in Burlington.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Center Rutland has a popular Indian food for take-out counter at a gas station. The Rutland Farmers Market has a delicious Korean food stall that sells just a few items, each one delicious. We have a Japanese restaurant, two Japanese/Chinese restaurants, and a Thai restaurant.

From another continent, another stand at the Rutland Farmers Market is Ana's Empanadas. Ana is from Brazil. The empanadas are yummy!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
The Burlington area has several choices. Thai is usually the top pick. There are a few in town that get very good ratings. There are also some Vietnamese restaurants that are good as well. It all depends on what you expect. Some of the Indian places seem fine to me, but our Indian friends think they are not that good. The same goes for the other types of cuisine. Being an Italian, Junior's makes some decent Italian food, but nothing authentic and not nearly as good as Nonna's.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Burlington used to have a place that served real British cuisine. Now THAT was a smart business plan...

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,494,774 times
Best bet is to hit the cities mentioned, Vermont isn’t exactly hanging it’s hat on ethnic cuisine.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, Vermont folks cook what they want for the most part, with the influx of new people came some new to Vermont cuisines, but it isn’t exactly an ethnic cuisine “hot spot”.

That being said, there are some very good restaurants in VT, some ethnic and many eclectic.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Isn't there an Ethiopian vendor at one of the farmers markets? I read about it somewhere, just can't remember where - I would venture either it's in Bratt or Montpelier...

Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Isn't there an Ethiopian vendor at one of the farmers markets? I read about it somewhere, just can't remember where - I would venture either it's in Bratt or Montpelier...
How could I forget? Maybe because these vendors are on hiatus right now. Much of the year, the Rutland Farmers Market (and Montpelier Farmers Market) both have yummy food stands by:

Afghani Ayoubi Pakistani food with deLICIous (and veg-friendly) dopyaza, bolanee, and mantu styles of dumplings, spicy chutney, as well as sometimes curried rice.

SamosaMan sells Indian dumplings in many flavors, including veg options, spicy dipping sauce, plus sometimes fried bananas and other treats. Oooh, can't wait for them both to return..

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

26 posts, read 165,767 times
Thank you so much for the responses. I have decided against moving to Vermont but I'm very excited to visit. Diverse food choices makes the state even more appealing.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM

118 posts, read 284,864 times
My wife is 'ethnic' and I'll tell you from experience you'll do a lot of driving looking for good food. The number one complaint I hear from her about moving to Vermont is the lack of food choices. While there are restaurants that claim they make Asian food the truth is only an American would believe it. We got by on lots of home cooking, a well stocked pantry, and monthly trips to the Asian market in Hartford CT for supplies.

For the record, beef and broccoli is not Chinese food, California rolls made with Crab Classic Supreme is not Japanese food, and Tum Yum soup made with fully dressed shrimp and button white mushrooms is pretty hard to come by in Thailand. Of course, if anybody did make authentic ethnic food in Vermont I'm confident very few people would eat it. I'd rather not describe some of the things you'll find on the menu when you travel in Asia (or South America for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont