Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I loathe that that happened. I think I read that, among other rail destroyers, rubber companies (as in car tires) bought up train track and ripped it up. Do you know more about that?
I hadn't heard that about tire companies, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, the automotive industry did its best to drive out the railroads. It did make for some good business in scrap metal when they were being taken up though. Not all of the rails were taken up though, some were left to rot and rust away. I've found bits of the old tracks here and there while out in the woods hunting, hiking, etc., off trail where there used to be routes for the trains, and I know there's places in some cities and towns where the tracks are even buried under the pavement now. All that destruction is definately proving to have been a major mistake now. Between passenger rail and freight (relying on trucks for everything is not efficient at all), it could really reduce the amount of oil we use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Trains are great- for freight. America moves more freight by rail than any other country. For moving people rail is stupid. It is expensive, inconvenient and how do people in the hills and hollows of VT get to the train station? Stagecoach?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Folks...back on topic please. Any suggestions for Sherylcatmom's trip to Bradley Airport?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Folks...back on topic please. Any suggestions for Sherylcatmom's trip to Bradley Airport?

Fair enough! If anyone knows of a nice condensed story of the OT I/we started, feel free to PM it to me.

BTW, short of something very unexpected, my husband's driving me to the airport. I didn't actually think there was another option but I'm an optimist and willing to try.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Check with Colgan Air out of Rutland? I doubt they fly to Hartford but you never know. Tickets to Boston were about $100, between parking, and what a bus costs(Hanover to Bos is $40 or so) it is justifiable.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Check with Colgan Air out of Rutland? I doubt they fly to Hartford but you never know. Tickets to Boston were about $100, between parking, and what a bus costs(Hanover to Bos is $40 or so) it is justifiable.

Thanks. I used to fly out of Rutland, which is now served by Cape Air/JetBlue. A few years ago I developed acute vertigo that, after subsiding, left me unable to ride on small planes any more -- or on roller coasters, which annoys me far more.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
How about Amtrak to Hartford and then some sort of rideshare to the airport?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
How about Amtrak to Hartford and then some sort of rideshare to the airport?
I would LOVE to do that. It takes $99, 3 (three!!!!) trains, and 8.5 hours to get from Rutland to Hartford:

Rutland -> Penn Station
Penn Station -> New Haven, CT
New Haven -> Hartford

And it would arrive in Hartford after my plane had departed. Can you believe that?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I would LOVE to do that. It takes $99, 3 (three!!!!) trains, and 8.5 hours to get from Rutland to Hartford:

Rutland -> Penn Station
Penn Station -> New Haven, CT
New Haven -> Hartford

And it would arrive in Hartford after my plane had departed. Can you believe that?
That's messed up. You'd think that with Amtrack going through Hartford, it would go up to VT.

Be glad you have rail service at all. NH doesn't except along the coast to get to Portland. I had to get to Manchester for a wedding because my wife had our only car up there already. I had to take the train to Boston. Luckily, there was a bus to NH. My wife had to pick me up in Londonderry. The other option was to take the subway to North Station and then another train to Lowell, Lawrence, or Haverhill.

I'm really surprised Greyhound won't work for you.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's messed up. You'd think that with Amtrack going through Hartford, it would go up to VT.

The Ethan Allen starts in Rutland, heads west into NY State, and stays in NY all the way to Penn Station. Doesn't go through CT at all. It's awesome for getting to NYC & back but not much else.

Quote:
Be glad you have rail service at all. NH doesn't except along the coast to get to Portland. I had to get to Manchester for a wedding because my wife had our only car up there already. I had to take the train to Boston. Luckily, there was a bus to NH. My wife had to pick me up in Londonderry. The other option was to take the subway to North Station and then another train to Lowell, Lawrence, or Haverhill.

Good heavens, I guess I should be grateful for what little we have. A bus would be nice.

Quote:
I'm really surprised Greyhound won't work for you.

Greyhound pulled out of Rutland for the last time in 2009. They're gone. I'd drive to a station in WRJ, Bellows Falls, etc. but it would take hours and all the buses would arrive in Hartford AFTER my plane departed.

The lack of transportation throughout this country, and especially in densely populated New England, makes me rant (if you hadn't noticed ).

Hubby is all ready to drive me to the airport tomorrow morning. We're happy to have that bit of time together before & after my trip. Still, having alternative options would have been nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont