Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times

Advertisements

Gypsey,

Not sure exactly which store. We have a friend who is the business writer for the Valley News and he said the building owner said he had 2 different chains interested but wouldn't say who. Hopefully he's not just blowing smoke (the owner, not my friend).

There's also a new grocery chain going in on 12A on the Jiffy Lube end, purportedly Hannaford's. This will be on a plot that isn't currently developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Gypsey,

Not sure exactly which store. We have a friend who is the business writer for the Valley News and he said the building owner said he had 2 different chains interested but wouldn't say who. Hopefully he's not just blowing smoke (the owner, not my friend).

There's also a new grocery chain going in on 12A on the Jiffy Lube end, purportedly Hannaford's. This will be on a plot that isn't currently developed.
Often a property owner will not say who is moving in until the lease is signed.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Sporin,
Thanks for the update.
I wish these people would 'get away' from 12A..it's so crowded (even though they are expanding it). It's a nightmare Sat-Sun at peak time...I will be curious to see who comes in to the empty store...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
Man. I was looking at a job in WRJ. But it sounds depressing as hell. I can't recall that I've ever been there. I am coming from Fayston and we really do like it here. I want to ask a dumb question: "am I wasting my time even bothering".

Where do you go grocery shopping? Is there good access to organic/local foods? I don't see a Farmers market in WRJ itself? Any good bigger hills around (not a 30 minute drive)?

Gosh I am spoiled...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Man. I was looking at a job in WRJ. But it sounds depressing as hell. I can't recall that I've ever been there. I am coming from Fayston and we really do like it here. I want to ask a dumb question: "am I wasting my time even bothering".

Where do you go grocery shopping? Is there good access to organic/local foods? I don't see a Farmers market in WRJ itself? Any good bigger hills around (not a 30 minute drive)?

Gosh I am spoiled...
I've got friends in Woodstock who shop at some big co-op there or in Lebanon.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
It's an odd part of the state. WRJ has a depressed feel to it. If you have been there you know what I mean. The issue is because of its proximity to Hanover, the areas around WRJ are more expensive to live. River City is the working class town right in the middle of some wealthier towns. I don't think it would hurt to check the job out as well as the area. If you don't like the job or the area, you don' have to take the job or make the move.
Many people within 30-40 minutes of the border shop in Lebanon, NH. When I lived in Brookfield (about 40 minutes away) we would do the the majority of our grocery, clothing, etc shopping there. Sometimes we would make a big trip with several of our friends in the area. In WRJ and the surrounding area, I think the majority cross the border to shop.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
Thanks. .and interesting. I had no idea it was so close to Dartmouth college (never been here either but figure it is probably an ok town based on the college) and Woodstock (which I've heard good things about, but have also never been). I decided I will check it out .

Also forgot that Mt Ascutney is sort of nearby. I like to climb up hills on my bike and skis for fun

Last edited by joe moving; 08-23-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I wouldn't describe Woodstock too well. It has a weird fake feel to the whole town. My uncle once joked that he thought he was in a movie set there, and was wondering when the facades would start falling down. I'd stay out of Woodstock, very overpriced and touristy.

WRJ has a lot of dumpy sections. WRJ stores can't compete well with neighboring NH and its lack of sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont