Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it? Is it too limited? I don't just want to raise my arm or feet. If they had a boxing game, would it be someone realistic, could it measure the power of a punch or would every punch be the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
I just saw the commercial for this. I'm gonna make a trip to Best Buy in the next few days to try it out. I kept wanting to get a Wii just cause I really like the bowling, baseball and tennis but this looks like more fun and I think I'd like the 360 games better than the Wii games even though I've been loyal to Nintendo since the 80's. Looking forward to feedback from experienced gamers

Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
I know I won't be getting one anytime soon, since I only own an original Xbox, and a PS2-compatible PS3. And like I've said before, I have tons of spending priorities ahead of getting a Move, such as (finally, after years of wanting to get one) purchasing a Wii.

I'd certainly would like to try a demo of Kinect, if I see any Best Buy or any other store have a demo of this set up.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,253 times
Well, according to the phone call from my S/O I just got, we're the proud new owners of a Kinect, and will be playing in a few hours...hmm.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,253 times
K, tried it out over the weekend, and am currently very sore. The only game tried so far is the kinect fitness thing that comes with it. I had a blast. I think using it for navigating around is a bit annoying, so will only turn it on when actually doing the fitness. As far as limitations, I haven't really noticed it not registering a movement, other than your actual fingers. Hand movement it gets, but apparently doesn't care if you're moving your fingers or not. I have to say, in the fitness game, there is a section called reflex ridge. You are on a trolley/cart thing going from point A to point B. In between, there are bars you have to duck, bars to jump over, and these pink door looking things you have to dodge, while also trying to "catch" the point coins along the way. I played reflex ridge for half an hour on Saturday and my legs, the back of my thighs, and my bum were still aching on Sunday evening when I played some more. You asked about it registering how hard you would punch in a boxing game, I'm assuming it would. There is another section of the fitness game called Rally ball, you have to hit the balls and smash a bunch of blocks to gain points ( think volleyball crossed with skiball by way of dodgeball...sort of). It registers how hard or soft you hit the beginning ball, so I don't see why it wouldn't do the same with a punch.

Enjoy if you get the game- just be aware that you have space limitations. I believe it's 6-8 feet in front of your tv and 6-8 ( possibly) more on either side, so if you have a very small living room, or entertainment room, it may be a bit of an issue.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
I tried the Kinect out at Best Buy today. Pretty cool! After going through its somewhat cumbersome "calibration", I started a game of boxing. It registers fairly well, but I did notice a bit of lag (about 1-2 seconds), which seemed slightly odd in the boxing game (throwing a punch, only to have to wait for about that second or two for your onscreen character to throw the punch).

Still, the technology is cool, and as firmware updates come out for the 360, they should be able to address any issues that come up with the Kinect hardware. I want one, but will wait till 2011 before buying, just to see if some really slick games come out for it, and if any other hardware issues arise.

Ian

Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
Default xbox kinect

So has anyone tried this yet?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times
I saw a set up of one at Sams Club to demo...

I got one the first day it came out. I've played Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, Sonic, and Your shape: Fitness Evolved.
Kinectimals, I thought would be pretty cool, but I'd say it's better for kids. You're not actually doing much, or at least it seemed to me, so it felt very boring and slow.
Sonic - I'm pretty sure there was a 5-10 minute video I HAD to watch before the race started... It was a little difficult to get the hang of it, and my neck got sore pretty quickly from being turned (Like being on a snowboard and looking ahead). Not enough fun for me and we got rid of it (along with Kinectimals)
Kinect Adventures - This is fun and really neat. Definitely a good way to introduce yourself to the kinect. But not one of the best.
Kinect Sports - Very cool, I really like this. I like the volleyball (make sure you don't have a low sitting light fixture... OUCH! I hit my hand on it hard while serving a ball). I also really like the track and field events... you do long jump, discus, javelin, sprint, and hurdles. Running in place is awkward, but still fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the raquetball type game, or the table tennis... table tennis, say you're right handed, when the ball is coming to the left I found it impossible to hit it. I only tried it once or twice. Bowling, I tried once, and that's not bad. Soccer, that's pretty neat. I didn't like it with two player though. Boxing, that was really fun.
Your Shape:Fitness Evolved - I'm really liking this. Just got it yesterday after seeing a video for it. I like the few mini games it comes with, and my legs are very sore from doing the training. The yoga is nice too. It registers your body very well and is definitely my favorite.

Overall - The Kinects performance seems to have as much to do with the game you have in as to your setup. We have a nice space cleared for it, but sometimes it's not enough. The wall is a little close on my right side and sometimes screws up what I'm doing. Your Shape works much much better than sonic did.

I've played the Wii as well, but pretty much just the wii fit. I really liked that and it's very different. I really liked the balance board and doing the soccer head banging game. I liked how the Wii could track your balance with great sensitivity. There were a lot of cool things on the wii to play, and I kind of wish I had one of those as well.
I like the Kinect, but there is definitely a limit at the moment for games and what you can do. Honestly, I'd say the Wii is better. But that doesn't meant they won't improve the Kinect over the next year and it could be better. Just having more games would make a huge difference. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times
oh, ps- it does register how hard you are punching. if you do a small punch, it doesn't do much damage in boxing. If you really whale on a punch, you can KO the guy. I love doing a left uppercut real hard.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
I have it and I'm really sore! ha ha I liked the Sonic game, but yes it does make your body hurt the next day. I find myself wishing I had one of those mini tramps for the jumps.
I just got it so I haven't tried much yet, but it's pretty cool. Just make sure nobody comes within range while your playing, it will read there hands and throw your game a little.
It's really pretty cool, but like others have said you don't feel like your really playing a game, you are the game, it's a different feel for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games