Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I suppose I'm a nerd, but I'm STILL addicted to The Sims and The Sims 2 franchises, along with the SimCity series. I've spent more than $1,000 altogether on every expansion and game in each series for the PC, along with a few The Sims 2 games for my PS2. I love creating a fantasy life for myself since I've kind of grown empty inside in my real life (sniffle, sniffle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Anyone with >1,000 posts on this site more than likely has a hint of nerd in them, so it ought not be shameful

I ought to mention the NBA Live series of the PSX and early PS2 eras (I had '97 and it was awesome), and the series on the Genesis was a start in the right direction after basketball games largely sucked up until then. But in the last few years EA has let the gameplay rot while adding a bunch of extraneous crap. I think I need to check out 2K8...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
No particular order:

1)Metal Gear Solid series(especially the 1st Solid): love the deep psycho-socio-political themes, but the games are too damn short. Hopefully MSG4 will be a bit more lengthier with the whole Blu-ray nonsense

2)Goldeneye 007: my first and damn sure best FPS that I've ever played. Still whipping serious ass crevices

3)Street Fighter series

4)Final Fantasy VII: the only RPG that I've happened to beat 80% by myself and had the patience for

5)Gran Turismo series

6)Super Mario World: my first video game that came with the system

7)Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: awesome game, the rest just suck and Ubisoft is pimpin' the hell out of the series, but whatever, more power to them

8)Super Mario 64

9)GTA3 on forth

Those are my top 9, but the others that come close are the Ace Combat series(hopefully it's true this rumor going around that it's a "timed exclusive" for the 360), Max Dolor and Max Dolor part deuce, SOCOM series and the Getaway series(love British crime flicks, close enough with this game).

Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
too many to name, but here's a short list

Donkey Kong
Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Moon Patrol
Missle Command
Tempest
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (remember Glass Joe and Mr. Sandman? lol)
GTA Vice city
Gorf
Berzerk
Kaboom!
Breakout
Jungle Hunt
Defender
Asteroids
Anything from Atari 2600 or Activision

Also, a little off topic, but the best commercials for video games were the ones for Intellivision by George Plimpton..

showing my age but a very respectable list

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Anyone with >1,000 posts on this site more than likely has a hint of nerd in them, so it ought not be shameful

...and anyone with > 7,000 posts on this site doesn't have ANY hint of a social life anymore! LOL!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Suikoden 3
Civilization 3
Pharoah/Cleopatra
Unbcharted waters
Chrono Trigger
Heros of Might and Magic
Mercenaries
Dragon Quest 8
Legend of the Dragoon

Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Mmm.. Love the smell of necromancy in the morning. Anyways, here's mah list. (With explanations to boot!)

1:Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Take the wonderful storytelling of the Metal Gear franchise. Make it less confusing. Add in some of the most memorable villains in the franchise, and sprinkle so many gameplay improvements that it's not even funny. Also helps to have an excellent soundtrack and wonderful graphics. Seriously, this is my favourite game of all time. (Which might be replaced by MGS4 when I play that.)

2: Final Fantasy XII. Now, I know what you're thinking. "A final fantasy title in a top ten? Are you crazy?!" Well, maybe I'm a little psycho, but eh. Now to why it's above Xenogears, which I know will be hard to explain. For one, the graphics are insane. The scenes wouldn't look out of place on the freaking PS3. The story, as usual for a game in the Ivalice universe, is simply amazing. Many twists and turns and some fine, memorable characters. The gameplay is awesome as well. Some may dislike the fact that the more you use gambits, the less you actually play the game, but I love the strategic factor that comes with the gambits. And the amount of sidequests in this game puts FFX to shame. To SHAME. And licenses are fun as well.

3: Xenogears. This should come to no suprise to see this on a top 10 list. When it comes to story in a videogame, this game tops them all. Nowhere else in gaming (other than Xenosaga) can you find a story as expansive, deep, and engaging. The battle system is great, but some of the battles can be unforgiving. (Id anyone?) It's also great that they threw in mech combat to change things up. The only thing I can fault this game for is that they rushed it out the door, therefore leaving an incomplete product. (Disc 2 shows this in a big way.)

4: Super Mario RPG. When I first heard about this game, I thought "Mario, in an RPG? This game will suck.." And then I played it. Excellent graphics, excellent story, excellent battle system, and excellent characters. The game is non-stop fun, and needs to be in everyone's library.

5: Resident Evil 4: Yes, I'm going out on a limb and posting yet another popular game. Be glad it's not an RPG. (I'm sure you were noticing that trend, eh? sorry, huge RPG fan.) Take the Resident Evil franchise. You know, the game that copied and pasted enemies for 3 games? And used the same frustrating camera angles and control schemes and crappy dialog? WHich started to get better with CV, but still didn't cure the control scheme and camera? Yeah. They took the previous games, looked at them,and decided to throw them in GLaDOS's incinerator. (See, see, I made a reference to another game! Ha ha...) Everything, every mistake they made in the previous games was cured in this game. It was engaging, scary at points (Iron Maiden is probably the scariest enemy in the franchise next to Nemesis), very good dialog ("I sent my right hand after you!" "It comes off?"), very good battle system, and nice unlockables (As per the Resident Evil tradition) as well. I seriously own every version of this game outside of the PC version, and it still doesn't get old.

Speaking of GLaDOS....

6: Portal Bout time an FPS made it on this list, eh? And it isn't even an action one! Ah well. This game is pure genius and pure fun from the moment you step out of your sleeping chambers to the moment you throw the last part of GLaDOS in the incinerator. The portal puzzles were fun as all get out, and even mind racking at points. And what other game can make you feel so much love for an inanimate object? Compainion cube, I miss you so...

7: Mass Effect Back to the RPG genre. In fact, the game that redefined the entire genre. The storytelling in this game propels a sci-fi mythos comparable to Star Wars. The gameplay in this game may remind you a bit of a 3rd person shooter, but it's more elaborate than that. Upgradeable weapons, "biotic (see: Force)" powers, what weapon to use where, etc. Not to mention the graphics for the game. Very nice.

8: Star Ocean: The Second Story. Another sci-fi RPG, this one a little more traditional. It's got what I consider to be the most memorable characters of all time. The battle system is action based, but still random battles. Graphics were gorgeous for its time, and actually aged pretty well. (As we can see with the remake on the PSP having exactly the same kind of graphics.) The story was excellent, full of unexpected twists. A must have for any PSone RPG fan, or anyone with a PSP and is not willing to wait till January (Import)

9: Half Life 2 (combined with every episode) Back to the FPS genre, and this one's actually a shooter! This game probably has the best storytelling out of any FPS game out there. And that's not exaggerating. The mythos in this game is DEEP. The gameplay is what you'd expect from an FPS, you point at bad guys and you shoot. What sets this game apart is the Gravity Gun, and the ability to launch projectiles at your enemies. (I know other FPS games do this now, but this was the original.) And the graphics on this game are beautiful.

10: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. FFVII is a game that has not aged well. It's especially true when the prequel to the game surpasses it on many levels. Let's look at those levels, eh? 1: The easy one: Graphics. Amazing for a PSP game. The game wouldn't look out of place on a late PS2/early PS3 game. And the cut scenes look like they even somewhat surpass Advent Children. Seriously, I cannot play FFVII anymore after playing this game for that reason only. 2: Story. FFVII had a huge problem with storytelling. It was slow, cumbersome, unengaging, and filled with uninteresting characters combined with the most overrated villains of all time. (Oh god, I can see the pyres and the pitchforks from here. o.o) Crisis Core took these characters, gave them EMOTION and DYNAMICS. Zack Fair has become the most beloved FFVII character in my mind. His story is the saddest, making Aerieth and Cloud look like a whining crybaby. We grew with him, felt for him when his world fell apart around him, followed his lead when he took charge as a first class SOLDIER , and cried when the end came, even though we knew it was coming. 3: Gameplay. Now, this can be easily debated, however, I did enjoy the hack and slash gameplay of CC over the wait your turn gameplay of FFVII. The materia system I felt was put in better use in CC, and the DMW kept things interesting. And the mission mode keeps you playing for hours on end. 4: Music. Probably the only section where it's mainly equal to FFVII. Basically remixed tracks from the original game. So, all in all, CC is an excellent game that any PSP owner needs to own.

For those who are all like tl;dr, here's the short version:

1: MGS3
2: FFXII
3: Xenogears
4: SMRPG
5: RE4
6: Portal
7: Mass Effect
8: Star Ocean 2
9: HL2
10: Crisis Core

Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times
1. Quake
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Command & Conquer
4. Day of the tentacle
5. Sim City
6. Street Fighter 3rd Strike
7. Super Mario 3
8. Mortal Kombat 2
9. Unreal Tournament
10. Grand Theft Auto

Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Thumbs up For the extreme gamer

So many great games that I find it nearly impossible to pick just ten for a greatest hits list.

Here are a few of my favorite, albeit, somewhat obscure games. Click the titles to see a video clip.

Weaponlord: Many people think that Street Fighter 2 was the premier fighting game of the 16-bit era, but few games are as deep or hardcore as the forgotten gem that is Weaponlord.

F-Zero GX: It’s still possible to find this super high speed racing game for under 10 bucks and better yet is the fact that it’ll play in the Nintendo Wii thanks to its GameCube backwards compatibility. Again, hardcore players only need apply as this game is HARD.

Armored Core 3: The franchise started on the original Playstation but some of the better games in the series appeared on the PS2. If you’re interested in giving this Mech sim a try then I suggest Armored Core three as it’s probably one of the best all-around titles and Gamestop still carries it for less than ten dollars. This cult offering isn’t really as much a game as it is an obsession.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM

52 posts, read 163,697 times
in no particular order or system:
Zelda 1&2
Ninja Gaiden
early metal gears (new ones are too darn wierd)
odd world 1&2 (never played x box ones)
Call of duty 4
Medieval 2
Dragons Lair
Super mario Bros 1,2,&3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games