Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 AM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMOMkACtn4

Finally Elder Scrolls V is coming out, release date set for 11/11/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
The big question is: Will it be any different than Morrowind, Obilivion, Fallout 3, F3NV? Obviously, the stories were different but the gameplay for each was virtually the same.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The big question is: Will it be any different than Morrowind, Obilivion, Fallout 3, F3NV? Obviously, the stories were different but the gameplay for each was virtually the same.
To be fair, Morrowind and Oblivion are both part of the Elder Scrolls series (numbers 3 and 4, respectively) with Skyrim (seen in first post) being number 5... so it would only make sense that the gameplay would either be similar, or even the exact same. However, that being said, the combat mechanics between Morrowind and Oblivion was changed quite heavily, and I expect Skyrim to have expanded even more beyond Oblivion.

The correlation to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas just doesn't match in though. The only thing they have in common is the Open-World Environment, where the player can choose where and what to explore at their own place. If you'd listed the Fable series as being "virtually the same" gameplay as Morrowind or Oblivion, I might have been inclined to partially agree.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 PM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
The correlation to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas just doesn't match in though. The only thing they have in common is the Open-World Environment, where the player can choose where and what to explore at their own place. If you'd listed the Fable series as being "virtually the same" gameplay as Morrowind or Oblivion, I might have been inclined to partially agree.
As they are all Bethesda titles and (from Oblivion onward) use the same Havok engine, they have much more in common than just the "sandbox" format. Even though the Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games have radically different settings, they share many similarities - level-based character development with numerous skills/perks/etc, similar types of quests (e.g. find/meet/kill someone/something), similar combat systems - the gameplay is indeed similar. Unfortunately, they are also all prone to the same freezing/crashing bugs.

Don't get me wrong - I am a fan. For me, Morrowind was probably the biggest groundbreaker since I first played the original Civilization on PC in the early 90s. But now, as I struggle through FONV and all its bugs, the novelty is wearing off.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM

195 posts, read 186,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Your comment makes little to no sense.... Bethesda made a huge deal about the alterations to the combat mechanics and system when they were hyping Oblivion, Fallout 3 uses a completely different combat system in terms of how skills affect things, Fallout New Vegas uses a completely different set up for armor and damage mitigation and as such damage formula for combat are again completely different. Skill systems for both F3 and FNV were borrowed from the early works by Black Isles original Fallout 1 and 2 (in fact FNV was done by the company that evolved from the remnants of Black Isle)

I mean unless you are just bundling any game with an open sandbox style world together without taking a closer look at the character, reputation, combat, damage, and skill usage your comment seems to be a rather extreme generalization.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
As they are all Bethesda titles and (from Oblivion onward) use the same Havok engine, they have much more in common than just the "sandbox" format. Even though the Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games have radically different settings, they share many similarities - level-based character development with numerous skills/perks/etc, similar types of quests (e.g. find/meet/kill someone/something), similar combat systems - the gameplay is indeed similar.
The engine itself is indeed the same. That's just the physics engine - how the environment reacts and how the character models operate. So, they look the same and react the same. Outside of that, they are vastly different.

Your mention of:
(a) Level-based character development
(b) Skills/perks
(c) Quests (find/meet/kill)

Well, they just described just about every single RPG ever made.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are also all prone to the same freezing/crashing bugs.
That. I'll give you. That's the Havok engine showing just how... "bad" it is.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I am a fan. For me, Morrowind was probably the biggest groundbreaker since I first played the original Civilization on PC in the early 90s. But now, as I struggle through FONV and all its bugs, the novelty is wearing off.
I'm not getting you wrong. I just see comparisons being made between two games being compared to each other purely based on a physics engine that they share. I'd more place Oblivion and Morrowind along the likes of Two Worlds or the Fable series... just as I'd place Fallout 3 (and NV) along the likes of Borderlands.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM

195 posts, read 186,456 times
Quote:
As they are all Bethesda titles and (from Oblivion onward) use the same Havok engine, they have much more in common than just the "sandbox" format. Even though the Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games have radically different settings, they share many similarities - level-based character development with numerous skills/perks/etc, similar types of quests (e.g. find/meet/kill someone/something), similar combat systems - the gameplay is indeed similar. Unfortunately, they are also all prone to the same freezing/crashing bugs.

Actually Fallout New Vegas was only published by Bethesda... it was actually developed by Obsidian (Formerrly Black Isle)... also the actual usage of the havok engine varies greatly in some cases where these games are concerned.

You are also generalizing the skill system it seems as how they function is quite different between games (hell how skills function between Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas offers some fairly drastic differences in some cases)

At a cursory glance they might seem similar... but any in depth look at the mechanics, how the combat functions, what effects are generated, etc shows there are rather noticeable differences.

I will give you the bugs bit though as all of that does stem from the Havoc Engine, no matter how heavily they modify it the thing still seems to be rather buggy.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
Caaaan't wait. Gonna make a punching class, like in New Vegas, and punch them dragons to death.

Also, lol@saying the leveling in Fallout 3+ NV is the same as Oblivion.
Pretty big differences. Namely how you get EXP and level up. And lack of leveling perks in ES4.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 AM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I just see comparisons being made between two games being compared to each other purely based on a physics engine that they share. I'd more place Oblivion and Morrowind along the likes of Two Worlds or the Fable series... just as I'd place Fallout 3 (and NV) along the likes of Borderlands.
I think it goes beyond just the physics engine - I'd agree with you about similarities with other games as far as the setting (FO/Borderlands: post-apocalyptic, ES/Fable: fantasy) , but once you get past that I find FO3/FONV to be more similar to ES than to Fable (I haven't played Two Worlds).

For example: similar (identical?) implementation of map/fast travel system (at least for Oblivion and FO3/FONV), numerous skills/perks on 1 to 100 scale, numerous useless items included only for the sake of atmosphere (which I do appreciate), wild animals running around like nobody's business, same use of light/dark environments, similar equipment damage/repair system, similar implementation of sneaking/pickpocketing/lock picking, same load times when entering new rooms, use of wild plants to manufacture aid items, acquisition of residences, NPC AI, caves galore, etc. etc. etc.

Many of these features are what make these games fun to play, but I'm hoping that ES V breaks some new ground. FONV is basically the same game as FO3 - I don't think anyone would argue with that. I'm hoping ES V is not Oblivion part 2 - hopefully with the 5-6 year layoff they are really going to blow our minds. Anyone have any thoughts or information on ES V ? Anything people would like to see in the game?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times
Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts or information on ES V ? Anything people would like to see in the game?
Be nice if the graphics got a huge upgrade Also a more detailed spell system and a more dynamic world with different endings depending on what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games