Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

195 posts, read 186,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Id wait soley for what Sony is going to announce on the 27th. The next PSP has the gaming industry really buzzing, and Sony's timing might be perfect. The 3DS is already showing it limitations from what I have read.
I do not purchase handhelds or consoles for that matter based on the hardware alone.... so unless Sony also comes out swinging with some serious titles (which is not generally their strategy, huge titles usually appear on Playstation products around the 4-6 month mark or later) then them showing off the PSP2 is not going to really sang me.

If it had some serious support from say Atlus, Square-Enix, Konami, and some others at launch then maybe... but odds are both of the new handhelds will be things I wait until there are some solid titles I want before I take any real interest in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
The region lock is especially irksome... i like special edition handhelds, NA does not get many... and that means if Japan gets one I like, I can not snag it then play NA release carts... so there will have to be some serious "must have" titles for me to really pick this up now.
The bolded statement.

I didn't get a limited edition DSi because I saw the hot-pink version and was sold on it. However, my PSP is a different story. I run a PSP that was imported from Japan because it was never going to be released in the US. Even though my PSP came from Japan, I can buy any PSP game from any part of the world and it will play.

The only thing I can't do is play movies from any part of the world... not like I actually care to do so. The only movie I have for the PSP is Gundam Wing Endless Waltz - which was only purchased for nostalgia reasons (and that it was $5).

With region-locking on the 3DS, I would be stuck having to select only from editions released in the US.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
The bolded statement.

I didn't get a limited edition DSi because I saw the hot-pink version and was sold on it. However, my PSP is a different story. I run a PSP that was imported from Japan because it was never going to be released in the US. Even though my PSP came from Japan, I can buy any PSP game from any part of the world and it will play.

The only thing I can't do is play movies from any part of the world... not like I actually care to do so. The only movie I have for the PSP is Gundam Wing Endless Waltz - which was only purchased for nostalgia reasons (and that it was $5).

With region-locking on the 3DS, I would be stuck having to select only from editions released in the US.
Same here, my lovely Eternal Edition PSP was never going to be released here... so I snagged the japanese version and got to play Star Ocean: First Departure a bit early for my trouble (Granted I needed translations to do so).

It troubles me that such options will not be available... I mean yeah I know that special editions should not make or break a decision. But the idea that it is not even an option bothers me a bit.

I do not really watch videos on my PSP either so that was never an issue for me.

Overall yeah I admit it is a minor thing and not make or break, but it is enough that I will wait and see because now I have to know for a fact that titles that interest me (Assuming later on some come out that do) will see NA release since I do not plan to import every single thing just to play.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 10,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
TY

my daughter has a DS lite
I also have a DS lite. Hello, everyone, I am new here

Old 01-28-2011, 01:19 AM

3,397 posts, read 3,335,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I tend to use the DS more now, with its GBA compatibility, but I still dig my Retro "classic" version of the GBA SP (was sold only for a limited time... even got a rare t-shirt from the deal when they were first being sold at the now defunct Circuit City), especially with its original Gameboy and Gameboy Color support. Plus, games can be had for cheap now for the GBA and relatively cheap for the DS.

Ian
Interesting. Did you get the GBA SP that had the NES logo and colors on it? I really wanted to specifically get that SP years ago, but unfortunately it was extremely hard to find at any stores, so I ended up never getting one.

Maybe one of these days, I'll try Amazon or eBay, and see if I can find one....

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,146,060 times
Quote:
Same here, my lovely Eternal Edition PSP was never going to be released here... so I snagged the japanese version and got to play Star Ocean: First Departure a bit early for my trouble (Granted I needed translations to do so).

It troubles me that such options will not be available... I mean yeah I know that special editions should not make or break a decision. But the idea that it is not even an option bothers me a bit.

I do not really watch videos on my PSP either so that was never an issue for me.

Overall yeah I admit it is a minor thing and not make or break, but it is enough that I will wait and see because now I have to know for a fact that titles that interest me (Assuming later on some come out that do) will see NA release since I do not plan to import every single thing just to play.
The fact that the Eternal Edition screamed "This is your PSP" is the reason I got it. The fact that it was never going to be released is the reason I paid a little more than its retail value to import it. For me, limited editions will affect my purchase. With region-locking, my choices for special editions will be greatly reduced and I may resign only to buying a 3DS when I can get it for 50% of its normal value... like I did my DSi.

Surprisingly, I didn't have much problem with the japanese version of First Departure. The only downside was that when I switched to the NA release I later bought... I had to start over.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
The fact that the Eternal Edition screamed "This is your PSP" is the reason I got it. The fact that it was never going to be released is the reason I paid a little more than its retail value to import it. For me, limited editions will affect my purchase. With region-locking, my choices for special editions will be greatly reduced and I may resign only to buying a 3DS when I can get it for 50% of its normal value... like I did my DSi.

Surprisingly, I didn't have much problem with the japanese version of First Departure. The only downside was that when I switched to the NA release I later bought... I had to start over.
Yeah it had a fairly gentle learning curve... and I agree about it just screaming "this is yours, this is the psp you want" because that is how it was for me too.

I also agree on it being a reason to wait... it wont stop me from getting the 3ds eventually... but as you said it will likely mean I will wait. In my case both to get it cheaper and so that there are games I want readily on hand already.

I think we are of a very like mind in this regards lol

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,547,327 times
Quote:
I do not purchase handhelds or consoles for that matter based on the hardware alone.... so unless Sony also comes out swinging with some serious titles (which is not generally their strategy, huge titles usually appear on Playstation products around the 4-6 month mark or later) then them showing off the PSP2 is not going to really sang me.

If it had some serious support from say Atlus, Square-Enix, Konami, and some others at launch then maybe... but odds are both of the new handhelds will be things I wait until there are some solid titles I want before I take any real interest in.
I really dont understand what you are trying to say or your point.
If you have no interest in 3DS or New PSP why are you here again? I am sure both systems will have games on them.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I really dont understand what you are trying to say or your point.
If you have no interest in 3DS or New PSP why are you here again? I am sure both systems will have games on them.
It is a discussion forum... I voiced my opinion on the 3DS, fairly simple... I never said I had no interest I said that I would take a wait and see approach. I then expanded later to say I disliked some of the choices made regarding the 3DS and this reinforced that decision.

You are the one who came into a thread about a Nintendo Handheld, brought up a Sony product suggesting I should look at that.... I simply answered your comment saying that unless it has games that interest me that odds are it too would be something I wait to see how it pans out.

In neither case did I say I had no interest, and in any case it is a discussion forum... so I came to discus and voice my opinion... simply because my view differs from that of some does not mean I am not entitled to post it... especially since at least one other poster has basically said they agree with me.

The question is not nor was it ever if they would have games... it was a matter of having games I found interesting, and when they would have such titles... I see no need to run out and buy a handheld I wont be using at the time because no games interest me at launch, hence the wait and see part.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,626,264 times
There's only two games I'm interested in for the 3DS at the moment. Mega Man Legends 3 and the Kid Icarus sequel. I'm kind of torn, since I'm not much of a portable gamer, but these are games I've waited a looooong time for. The last Legends game was released back in 2000, and ended on a cliffhanger. So I really want to see how the story turns out. Darn you, Capcom! Why couldn't it have come out on a console instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games