Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Course he didn't know what kvetching was and thought you said female-dog-ing. Anyway, I grew up on Quake, Unreal, Counter Strike, Ultima Online, Diablo I, NWN (back on AOL!). All of those were M or unrated. Big deal.
This I realize, but I was still having fun with it. And yeah, I grew up on those games as well. Fun, fun stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
Children will be children. They are not at the same level as adults. The ESRB is not there to be a rule that bans children from playing certain games.
Of course. Bans are bad. Still doesn't stop me from getting amusement out of the situation.

Quote:
There is a mute button you can use if you can't stand the child's voice or accent. I don't know why people haven't gotten that yet?
Note the game. At the time of release (haven't checked since the first couple of days), there was no way to mute players in DNF Multiplayer. So yeah, I was stuck listening to him until the round was over.

Quote:
Rita, that 'kid' was probably knew to shooting games. I felt the same way as him on my first FPS and got killed constantly.
Possibly. But the inability to mute meant that I went for the creative and amusing method. Had other players laughing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
People seriously overreact to the whole kids and violent games thing. I got my first FPS (Doom II: Hell on Earth!) when I was twelve years old. After that it was Duke Nukem 3D, then Quake, Quake II, Unreal, UT, Q3A, and various other similar games. I have played pretty much every FPS, every survival horror game, and every open world sandbox game there is, and I turned out just fine, with no parental supervision at all. Oh, believe me, they tried! They're both hyperchristians who didn't want me playing that kind of stuff, so I had to either do it in secret or hide the true nature of the games from them.

Their attempts and supervision and their belief in the corrupting influence of games was both extremely annoying and ultimately unwarranted. I never had any reality blurring or game-induced tendencies whatsoever, and now I am a normally developed, tax-paying, working, etc, adult. Hell, I even became a humanist!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM

72 posts, read 154,326 times
I'm only allowed to play E-rated and T-rated games. My parents won't let me play M-rated.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawarma View Post
I'm only allowed to play E-rated and T-rated games. My parents won't let me play M-rated.
Well Australia, and some other countries, outright ban games by government decree -aren't most of the Grand Theft Auto games banned? As much as we complain here in the US, fortunetly our government is not allowed to do that (thank you US Constitution).

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
-__- I hate how people say kids shouldn't play rated M games I've been playing rated M games since I was 7 I didn't become I killing rampageing kid I say you should teach your child not to be voilate Im not stupid enough to do dumb crap just saying i dont really care if u think im wrong

Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Ratings on video games are there more for the parents than the kids. It's just an easy way for them to determine if the game has content to which they want their kids exposed.

I don't have kids, but I wouldn't let mine play things like GTA. Having sex with hookers and then bashing their head in with a baseball bat to get your money back is an adult activity. Depending on the kid's temperment I'd be OK with survival horror or military games, though. I think there is a big difference in fighting demons/soliders for your life and just wanton destruction for no reason other than to get that phat cash.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuddupidgaf View Post
-__- I hate how people say kids shouldn't play rated M games I've been playing rated M games since I was 7 I didn't become I killing rampageing kid I say you should teach your child not to be voilate Im not stupid enough to do dumb crap just saying i dont really care if u think im wrong
Perhaps you should have spent some of that time working on your communications/writing skills so you at least don't make yourself appear stupid when trying to convince us that you're not

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Perhaps you should have spent some of that time working on your communications/writing skills so you at least don't make yourself appear stupid when trying to convince us that you're not
Beat me to it, darn you.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:49 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
I personally think kids who play violent video games are LESS LIKELY to commit violent acts - the game lets them take out their aggression so that they don't "snap" in the real world.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
Kids shouldn't be allowed to play M rated games. Unless the kid is 14 at the minimum and mature, kids shouldn't play games like Call of Duty and Halo. Those games just have too much violence in them. In Call of Duty, you have the Zombie mode. They have zombies coming at them from all directions and they stab knives at them. Would you want your 10 year old to play that and have nightmares about it? I remember when my 17 year old played zombies while I was watching. I was watching him because his behavior changed inexplicably to me and my wife. I suspected that it was from playing these games. Sure enough, his face was so concentrated on the game it scared me. Whenever he stabbed a zombie, he was happy and looked like he got a million dollars for free. It made me wonder if he would do it in real life. I didn't let him play until he promised me to never behave the way he did to me and my wife. If kids see all this violence and swearing, who's to say that they won't swear or kill in real life. America has changed from the way it used to be dramatically. (I am 46)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games